Home gym versus going to the gym

Options
Vercell
Vercell Posts: 437 Member
Home gym compared to going to the gym. What would work better for you.

Replies

• liftingcoach
    liftingcoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have quite a set up on the covered back porch with lots of equipment that I have accumulated over the years. I did this because i used to work very odd hours, and years ago, gyms did not offer the 24 hour access they do now. I sometimes work out at 4 am or midnight, depending on what I have going on. I wouldn't care to step foot in a commercial gym nowadays. People don't wipe down equipment after they use it, they sit on it and talk on their phones, or because of the earphones, cannot hear any one else. I love my "mancave." Plus its a couple of steps to the pool for a cool dip when done! (weather permitting!!)
  • curt40
    curt40 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just joined Planet Fitness, which is 5 minutes from my place. $99 for the year. If there is an easier, more cost effective way to exercise, I'd love to see it.
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym works best for me. I've had home gym setups before, and currently have a nice spinning bike, but, taking the effort to get to the gym actually works best. When I work out at home I always see something else I could do, or needs doing, and I dont' work out nearly as long or as hard as when I've taken the time and effort to get to the gym.

I guess I look at it like this..I took the 20 minutes to drive here, I'm sure as hell not going to go light and only stay for 30. So I tend to do more.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If I had a choice, definitely a home gym. But right now it's just too costly to buy an olympic barbell and plates so I just go to the gym.