What Time of Day?

Options
What time of day do you get your exercise in?

Lately I've been getting up at 4am, this is nice because I will have my workout complete and don't have to stress it the rest of the day. But pulling myself out of bed that eary is not an easy task!

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts when I get home from work around 4pm. It works out really nice because it re-energizes me to get through the evening.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Whew I can't do mornings that early. I leave my house for work at 6:15 and I can't imagine getting up before to work out. I go straight from work the the gym or to the park for my runs. Its usually from 3:00-6:00 depending on my day.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm at night....I get home from work around 4, so I don't get my second spurt of energy until about then....and I build up the "swift kick in the pants" psyche I need to walk over to the gym. Of course it helps that the gym is only across the road from me!
  • zionjeannine
    zionjeannine Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello, whenever it is convenient is when I go. I have learned that for my body it does not matter what time I get my work out in as long as I find time and ways to get it.. However I am not at all a morning person so I usually have the "workouts" in the evening. About 4pm-7pm sometimes even later at times if I have the energy.... See the following article hope it helps.

When is the Best Time to Exercise?
    Does the time of day you exercise make a difference in your results?
    By Elizabeth Quinn, About.com Guide

Is there a best time to exercise? Given that the biggest reasons people give for not exercising regularly include (1) Lack of results and (2) no time, the simple answer is that the "best" time to exercise is the time that is most convenient for you.
    Also See: Why Your Workouts Don't Work.

Research on exercise and time of day is growing but still limited and and not without controversy. In general, if you can find a time for exercise that you can stick with consistently, you will be much more likely to train regularly and get better results.
    Circadian Rhythms
    Human sleep and wake cycles follow a daily cycle called circadian rhythms. It's this cycle that regulates our body temperature, blood pressure, alertness and metabolism, among other physiological functions. In general, these rhythms conform to our 24-hour day and may be reset based upon environmental cues. The time of day that we typically exercise is one of these cues. Research by the University of North Texas, in Denton found that although circadian rhythms are inborn we can reset them based upon our behaviors. For example, using an alarm clock, establishing meal times and even when we workout are all cues to help rest our rhythms. They found that people who consistently exercise in the morning "teach" their body to be most ready for exercise at that time of day. When they switched to evening exercise, they didn't feel as strong.

...The Bottom Line
    The good news is that you get to decide the best time for you to exercise based upon your personal goals, schedule and lifestyle. Ideally, you will pick a time that you are able to stick with consistently and make part of your daily or weekly schedule. If you are training for competition, it's wise to modify your training to accommodate the event start time, and it's always wise to warm up before any workout

THE ARTICLE WAS FOUND AT THE FOLLOWING SITE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ IT ENTIRELY. Hope it helps. Best wishes.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/WhenToExercise.htm
  • Virgology80
    Options
    I go to the gym 4-5 times a week. On weekdays I go around 6:30 or 7:00 and on Sat/ Sun I usually go around 12pm
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I prefer mornings because life has a habit of getting in the way! The bonus is both my kids are old enough to go to the gym now so i get an extra little workout at night a few times a week.
  • sotonguetied
    Options
    i've found that working out in the morning is MUCH better for me. i feel i have more efficient workouts and it's nice to start my days always on a good foot :] i've also found that it's much easier for me to just make it a habit to wake up and go rather than waiting until nighttime when i'm lazy and tired and just want to relax. on a normal day i usually go around 9:30 or 10, but depending on my plans for the day it can vary :]