Mashed cauliflower

Options
demorelli
demorelli Posts: 508 Member
I made this one with meatloaf yesterday. Tastes remarkably similar to mashed potatoes but it's great without gravy.

Mashed Cauliflower

Steam 1 head of cauliflower until tender (or pressure cook in steamer basket, regulate 1 minute)

Blend well

Mix in 1 tbsp butter or butter sub

Salt and pepper to taste

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I actually love mashed cauliflower! You can make pizza crusts from mashed cauliflower as well as use it for a vegetable style pancake :)
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    What a very simple idea- I would never have thought of doing this but I will now!
  • Weggli
    Weggli Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! That sounds delicious!
  • Beachtreasures
    Beachtreasures Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would have never thought to do this. The next cauliflower I purchase will definitely be mashed and I look forward to trying this! Thanks for sharing!
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't think it tastes anything like mashed potatoes... But it is good. I also enjoy using riced cauliflower for pizza crust.
  • TillyMomma
    Options
    Bump
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I use half and half potato and cauliflower as a way to get more veg into my notoriously picky 6 year old.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    mashed cauliflower tastes not even remotely close to the real thing,imo. I'm sure this is a good option for some,though.
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    This is the one I use and I absolutely love it.....

What you will need:

1 head of cauliflower
    1 tablespoon of cream cheese
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    5 or so dashes of pepper
    Chives for garnish

Directions:

Wash and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Boil in a pot of water for about 10-15 minutes or until soft and cooked.
    Drain and dry using paper towels. Immediately place in food processor or blender. You do not want the cauliflower to cool.
    Puree the cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper.
    Sprinkle the top with chives and a few dashes of pepper. Serve!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of mixing it with real potatoes ..why not?
  • azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mashed cauliflower!! I always add a little garlic powder too for some extra oomph. :) I like making this more than mashed potatoes because it's easier haha.
  • ktb32
    ktb32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love mashing it and using it as rice. Unless I am doing something wrong, it stays as small little pieces when mashed. Soooooo I use my in place of rice. Add alittle Wildtree Asian Ginger Sauce, some sauted onions, green peppers and mushrooms, and sometimes some chicken or steak.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower is one of my fave veggies. And I can digest it because I cook the heck out of it! I blend it with some herb & garlic cream cheese. SOOOO good!
  • kaitie23
    kaitie23 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love it too. I always add laughing cow's garlic and herb cheese to mine.
  • colemanlv1
    Options
    Hey I like mashed faux potatoes and i make them all the time, but to do half and half sounds good too!
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I used this when I tried the South Beach diet a few years ago..... my ex didn't know the diff :)
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Me too! I'm going to try it this way first. haha
  • Bree2lite
    Options
    GREAT IDEA i would have never of thought of that =) thanks
  • nhobbit
    nhobbit Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Me too! I'm going to try it this way first. haha
    Or you can mash in a can of condensed cream of potato (I generally use a 4-serving frozen bag)..eat as is, add salt and pepper, butter flakes, even cheese and bacon bits, yum, yum yum. Today, I am going to try to mash with a can of condensed broccoli and cheddeer and add in some broccoli florets. creamy creamy creamy