instead of cheese

Options
katy_trail
katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
I love cheese. I love to top almost anything savory with lots of cheese.
However, obviously that just doesn't work unless I'm trying to raise my
cholesterol and gain weight. (neither)

So what do you like to do instead of cheese.

My current favs are black bean salsa and chopotle honey mustard.
Once of those or both is great on salad, eggs, burritos, veggie burgers,
chilli, turkey burgers, soup, sandwiches.....

I also love basil!

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the cheese made with 2% instead of whole milk? Also, try moderating your portions instead of cutting it out completely. You do need to be getting your dairy. If you don't go overboard, cheese is great for you!

Also, using stronger cheeses, like feta or bleu, can make it easier to keep your portions smaller.
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    *kitten* that. Just work out extra harder so you can have cheese. Stop talking nonsense and enjoy your cheese.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    They can pry the cheese from my cold dead hands. Go for reduced fat/low cal or exercise so you can fit it into your day. Everything in moderation.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options
    I love a pate made of carrots, miso & tahini or mushroom duxelles and walnuts. Complex, delicious, and with plenty of umami.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I just choose cheese differently. Instead of dressing on your salad, try crumbling feta. Try half a slice on your burger. Eat real cheese - not the immitation processed junk. Cheese in moderation isn't bad. Parmesan has fewer calories. Some brands offer thin slices with fewer calories. Cheese is good.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I love Laughing Cow Light cheeses. I keep several flavors in the fridge. Perfect sized, portable, yummy.

I also like having Frigo Light string cheese in both Mozz and the Swirl flavors in the fridge for a snack on the run.

Cabot 75% reduced fat cheese is good, too!

Cheese. Mmmmmm.
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    I'm not sure what would be a good substitute. I recently stopped eating it as well. Reducing things in my diet doesn't work for me. I have to completely cut it out and then wait till I forget what I missed about it. Otherwise I'm prone to gradually increasing the quantity until I'm back using the same amount as before.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    fat free cheese, can get it shredded in both cheddar and mozzarella
  • katy_trail
    Options
    I'm not cutting out dairy. I regularly drink skim milk, and sometimes string cheese or yogurt.
    what I've noticed is in many dishes, I want a lot of cheese. just having a strong flavored cheese isn't enough.
    I still want my taco,bowl, plate, whatever covered.
    I have bought and liked lowfat cheese, but I buy the reg. version for my family, and usually don't
    remember to get the LF or FF for myself. In certain situations I'm ok with a sprinkle of strong cheese, say,
    very strong cheddar on tacos. or in a lettuce salad.

In any case, food that doesn't rely on cheese or butter is more interesting!
  • katy_trail
    Options
    I just choose cheese differently. Instead of dressing on your salad, try crumbling feta. Try half a slice on your burger. Eat real cheese - not the immitation processed junk. Cheese in moderation isn't bad. Parmesan has fewer calories. Some brands offer thin slices with fewer calories. Cheese is good.

Imitation cheese like the nacho cheese sauce or so called american cheese, has no appeal. none.
    has to be some version of actual real cheese. reg, low fat, FF. but not imitation. tastes like plastic.

re: to the string cheese. I do like that as an option. great for snacks, and already portioned,
    the salt is just a bit high, and the price has gone up recently.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    I also read about a vegan cheese sauce made from yeast flakes, but haven't seen them in my store.
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is a great cheese substitute. Vegans use it all the time.
  • Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I try to only eat enough cheese to taste it in a dish. Portion control! :smile:
  • ldmfabric
    Options
    I also recommend the Laughing Cow cheese wedges- lots of favors, very creamy & only 35 cal/wedge. Also hungry girl.com has lots of recipes using these. This is also a great daily e-newsletter with lots of healthy food options. Free too!
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    I also read about a vegan cheese sauce made from yeast flakes, but haven't seen them in my store.

You can order it online... nutritional yeast. It adds a kind of cheese like flavor to things. You can make a sauce for it, but look for a recipe that is low on oil and uses stock instead. A lot of the recipes that I've seen probably have more calories than just eating cheese.

When I was vegan I used nutritional yeast frequently as well as making silken tofu "spreads" to put on bread like you would put cheese on it. For baked dishes that might have a cheese top, a pureed white bean sauce can be interesting... more like a bechamel sauce substitute though.

It's hard to go without cheese, especially if you like it. You could try coming up with meals that you are less likely to put cheese on and saving the cheese slathered goodness for special times. Or just only keep one kind of cheese in the house at any time.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options

AH, nutritional yeast is SO good! It was an acquired taste for me. Now I make a fake mac and cheese with that and raw cashews, and I also love putting it on top of popcorn. It gives it a nacho-y flavor. I used to go overboard on seasoning so this is a nice alternative that is sodium free, and has protein and B12. The trick to enjoying it is not to expect it to taste just like the cheese you're used to. It's a replacement, with a flavor all of it's own. At first I didn't like any of the alternatives, but now I love it!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I just use less. I found, surprisingly, that it tastes just as good.
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    They can pry the cheese from my cold dead hands. Go for reduced fat/low cal or exercise so you can fit it into your day. Everything in moderation.

^^THIS! I love cheese, but I don't over do it anymore.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It should be noted that fat-free cheese does not melt like normal cheese. You can work around this by buying one of those olive oil spritzers and giving the cheese surface a good spritzing.
  • onceuponadream
    onceuponadream Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    *kitten* that. Just work out extra harder so you can have cheese. Stop talking nonsense and enjoy your cheese.