instead of cheese

Options

Replies

• onceuponadream
    onceuponadream Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have to agree,,,,,I wont give up my cheese, and an extra mile run is worth it :)
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    They can pry the cheese from my cold dead hands. Go for reduced fat/low cal or exercise so you can fit it into your day. Everything in moderation.

THIS!! i usually buy the cheese made with 2% milk, and be sure to measure out a reasonable portion. for example, tonight's dinner was a bowl of homemade chili, topped with exactly 2 tablespoons of the 2% milk shredded cheese (40 cals) and 1 tablespoon of reduced fat sour cream (23 cals). TOTALLY worth it to me. long live the cheese!! :drinker:
  • Playingwithfire89
    Options
    have you tried mixing cottage cheese with salt, them baking at 375 over sauce and thin bread (fake pizza.)
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'll stop eating real cheese when I'm dead.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    :huh:

There is no "instead of cheese"...

But seriously, you might like trying nutritional yeast. Vegans sub it for cheese since it has that savoury umami oomph, plus it's super healthy, win! :drinker:

Try sprinkling it on buttered popcorn and you will be devoted for life :love:
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. I love to top almost anything savory with lots of cheese. However, obviously that just doesn't work unless I'm trying to raise my cholesterol and gain weight. (neither)

So what do you like to do instead of cheese? My current favs are black bean salsa and chopotle honey mustard.
    Once of those or both is great on salad, eggs, burritos, veggie burgers, chili, turkey burgers, soup, sandwiches.....I also love basil!

Herbs are good, once you learn what works with what (oregano and basil are friends with tomatoes, etc.).

I've tried mustard and an egg or two with ramen noodles (instead of using the sodium-loaded seasoning packet).
  • orlinaaman
    Options
    i'm with you. I need to cut it out completely. lost 41 kgs (about 90 pounds) so far and i run from cheese. refried beans makes a good topping on most things where i used cheese, also make my own salsa fat free works well.:flowerforyou:
  • zaakystyles
    Options
    Deal without diary for a month and you won't miss it.
    For the missed taste though?

Nutritional Yeast. It can be used like parmesan on everything. Has a slightly cheesy flavor.
  • earthpagan87
    Options
    hummus is really good in eggs, and gives a creamy texture :)
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    It doesn't work for everything because you can't sprinkle it but I LOVE The Laughing Cow cheese. 35 calories a wedge. :)
  • angiegabe
    angiegabe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use parm. It's got a stronger flavor, so I need less.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is a great cheese substitute.

That sounds so unappealing.

I'm withe the "just work out longer/harder" crowd.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    *kitten* that. Just work out extra harder so you can have cheese. Stop talking nonsense and enjoy your cheese.

LOL, yes 100% to this!

Rather than give up my beloved cheese, I have just stared trying to eat a little less of it. I even cut back on the amount I used in my lasagna last week, and my hubby said it was probably one of the best ones I've made. So, as people have mentioned, portion control.
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you deprive yourself your more likely to succumb to cravings and go overboard. Try using laughing cow wedges, or a lighter cheese. Measure it out and be very accurate with it. Also, If you go to subway you can still have cheese just ask for shredded (because you get less of it) or ask for half the cheese. =)
  • mamaberg3
    Options
    I agree with you on that. Just cut back on what you'd normally use and go for a reduced fat or sharper cheese for more flavor!:happy:
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I will never.never.never.never.never give up cheese. Even if I developed a lactose intolerance, I'd say fluck it and still eat cheese. It's truly god's food.
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I also read about a vegan cheese sauce made from yeast flakes, but haven't seen them in my store.

I know it sounds weird and gross, but it's SUPER good! I sprinkle it on top of pastas and salads, but I REALLY like it with cashews for a "nacho cheese" topping to veggie tacos!

Another substitute is making your own "Cheez-Its" or "noritos" AMAZING!
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Oh and before it gets commented on, I workout a lot, I have the calories to eat cheese, I just choose not to for my own meditation reasons. Thanks!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese all the time. I'm losing weight and my cholesterol is perfectly fine. I don't understand where you get your information.
  • 2rnip
    2rnip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    *kitten* that. Just work out extra harder so you can have cheese. Stop talking nonsense and enjoy your cheese.

^^this. also eating cheese doesn't affect your cholesterol