Depression, dieting and exercising

Options
I officially got diagnosed today with depression. Getting up in the morning is difficult, and everything I do feels like a gigantic task, including exercising, logging in on MFP and watching what I eat. I know dieting and exercising is difficult for most people on this website and we're a support group, but believe me, I feel things are particularly hard... Irrationaly hard. The new semester at the university starts in 6 days, I'm freaking out and I need a plan to stick to my diet and exercise. I know my target weight is not the most difficult one to reach - I see cases of people losing many dozens of pounds and you guys are a big part of my motivation, I admire you SO much - but it still feels like a mountain to me.

Of course, I'm going through therapy and am followed by my doctor. I just want to get out of this situation stronger and healthier. But I need help. I guess aknowledging it is a good sign and makes me a "good" case of depression. Another reason which makes that I'm not willing to give up is the sentence I read on MFP: "If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up." I don't want to start over AGAIN.

I'm wondering if there's anyone reading this message who went through a similar situation and who could give me advices and encouragements. What were your plans to go step by step without giving up and deciding to stay in bed all day long? I'd be happy to make new friends. Not too many... About ten if possible, no more. Else it's too overwhelming for me and I'm not able to take care of everyone and encourage everyone back the way I'd like to do.

Anyone willing to share their story and tips?

Kind regards

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There's actually a depression group on the website if you want targeted support. :flowerforyou:

The good news is that a healthy diet and physical activity are helpful in reducing the symptoms of depression.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give right now is to forgive yourself when you slip-up. Even if you slip up for months at a time, the important thing is to get back up and keep trying. Everyone slips up but it's especially easy to when you're depressed.
    Oh, and once things get into a routine it will get easier, and as a bonus, having routines you do can sometimes help with depression a bit.

Good luck. You can do it.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I think you just get to a point where you decide what you want most. Go slow, mark your progress. Can't offer much more than that but getting into a support group could very well be very beneficial :)
  • FawnAnnette
    Options
    I feel like you do sometimes
    I think losing weight has given me more up times than down. I take a walk across carpet and try to 'bounce', I am lighter by 42 lbs Ssince May. January is the hardest month. This fitnesspal site helps me. I have persons to read about. Share my story. It's hard to get numbers into your food diary. It's day. And hour after meal and snack. It's a science experiment on yourself to be able to record faithfully. The encouragement comes by the diary tallies. I think it's like daily prayer and Bible reading. Food for your. Soul; no calories added by using the diary. Hang in there. I am thinking about you. Prayers and energetic thoughts. In peace.
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Perseverance gets me through my depressive episodes. I have decided to treat them like seizures. i expect them to end. I insist that they end. I take my meds, do my exercise, and try to avoid eating crappy processed foods.

I visualize the depression as a battle where some whacked out terrorist neurons are pigging out on my serotonin and dopamine so that they can force me down into a valley of depression. I imagine myself as a warrior, fighting for myself and my family. I pray. I ignore the depression as much as possible, because I know that to ruminate, to wallow in it, is to feed it.

I think that if you are in a good place and therapy is helping, that's awesome. Personally, I found that therapy made me feel worse because it somehow made me feel justified in my depression. I am convinced that my depression has a primarily neuro-biochemical etiology, so I feel it is best treated with things that change my neurochemistry. What I have found to be most helpful are medication, exercise, volunteering, caring for my family, plenty of sleep, and sunshine. ANd the Serenity Prayer just to keep everything in perspective.

I agree with the poster who said you have to forgive yourself. It's true. Forgive yourself, forgive others. The only way out of the pit is to lighten your burden so you can climb out.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've never been diagnosed with depression, so I can't say I know what you are going through...but...after working out and doing cardio for over a year, i can tell you without a doubt, that when I lift weights in the morning, I feel pretty damn good the rest of the day for some reason...Cardio sometimes has the effect, but not always. I feel really positive after weight lifting for some reason. Perhaps you can give it a try, maybe it will work for you as well?
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    My most important tip is - reduce your course load to the minimum you can have without compromising your financial arrangement/full-time status. AND if you have courses scheduled that are likely to be difficult for you, swap them with subjects you enjoy or are easy.

Keep your academic advisor in the loop so everything's documented as it happens. If things feel really overwhelming, do not delay in communicating with your advisor or professors. The worst is to hide your head in the sand, disengage from the process, and pay for it later (speaking from experience) by having to retake classes or drop them after the fact. More than likely your uni has processes that will help you and minimize any effects on your record, as long as everything's on paper.

Above can affect you long-term. It's all good, just let people know if stuff gets hard to handle, and you won't be penalized for it. Also, it means you will have access to different kinds of help, including study skills, and essay writing. I found essays tough to manage, myself.

Life: Talk to friends and family. Keep reaching out. Get outside and in the sun, often. If children or animals are in your environment, hang out with them sometimes.

Make your living space pleasant and comfortable. Have cozy things - pillows, blankets, wall coverings - in colours you like. Get a couple of lamps with warm light.

No matter what, spend ten-fifteen minutes every day tidying your space. Even if you don't feel like it, go through the motions. The motions will help your mood. I'm not a neat freak or anything, but an ordered room helps order the mind.

Rely on a schedule where will fails you. Same thing with exercise as for room cleaning: no matter what, you must get 30 minutes of something every day, even if it's just a walk.

Shower every day, and eat on time.

Music has helped me a lot, both playing and listening to it. Sad stuff helps get the sads out (but, too long on this isn't always good), and upbeat stuff gets me moving.
  • columbae86
    Options
    Thank you very much - everyone - for your kindness and your advices. It feels good to know that even though we're strangers, you care and were willing to give me some of your time writing your messages. Please know that I am very thankful! Since I received less than 10 responses - which is good, because it's not overwhelming - do you mind if I add you as friends?
  • grantsmommy
    grantsmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from! I have been seeing a Psychologist for over a year now and a Psychiatrist for about eight months. What worked for me is making the decision to get help and take things one step at a time. Therapy definitely helps, but I needed meds too. Working out and eating healthy helps a great deal too. For me, exercise is great, but it does not much as far as my depression goes. I know a lot of people will tell you that exercise alone will help and that isn't always the case. Just know that you aren't alone and take the steps that you need to take to be healthy. You can add me if you ever want to chat about it!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I do not currently have depression, but I did in the past and currently suffer from PTSD. I am on meds (zoloft) to help with hyperarousal symptoms. I find exercise to be the biggest overall help-in terms of regulating mood and feeling better. But when you're in the spot that just getting out of bed is overwhelming and way too difficult, the three things that helped me most (aside from therapy) were celebrating every "victory" (meaning congratulate yourself for getting out of bed, taking a shower, eating, everything...), emptying my head through journaling, making lists (so you're not taxing yourself to remember things), talking to whoever would listen, etc. And lastly, but most importantly-"fake it until you make it"-get up everyday, take a shower, get dressed, eat, do your normal routine-yes it's hard, yes you don't feel like it, but do it anyway (and refer back to the celebrate every victory piece). Take each day one day at a time-don't worry about tomorrow or next week-just make it through today. Some days will suck-but eventually, you'll notice that today sucked less than yesterday, and in time, you'll notice many days aren't really as sucky as they used to be. You're doing all the right things to help yourself. Best wishes.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have clinical depression too, so I know what it's like. I take meds for it which helps greatly. What helps me is celebrating small victories like weight loss. I like the ticker that has the weight I lost. I feel encouraged by that. Also celebrate by getting yourself a new wardrobe. I plan to as I lose more weight. During the worst of my depression, others would tell me to exercise and eat right and now, I realize they are/were right. I am doing those things now.

Lighten your load if you need to. I find that eliminating stress helps, too. You are doing a lot by getting out of bed, exercising, logging in your meals, and showering. Those things are a lot for someone who is suffering depression. I know, I have been there.

I know you said you only wanted 10 or fewer to write, but I wanted to add my support as a fellow depression sufferer myself. I certainly do not want to add to your stress. I just want to be of support to you.

I find that journaling helps me and I like online journaling. There, I can write privately w/o fear that anyone will snoop.

http://www.my-diary.org/
  • columbae86
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your nice messages. I will take your tips and make sure to re-read them on my darkest days. Today was okay thanks to all of the support, but I anticipate next week will be bad with the begining of the semester...
    One day at a time!