depressed...

Options
so i hate to do this, but ia m stuck at work and i need a little encouragement. in the past few weeks i have falen completely off the wagon. eating late at night, more sugar in the diet, skipping meals to overcompensate and then over eating. each time i do it, i tell myself "this is the last time i will just work it off tomorrow..." i woke up today feeling fat and out of control. this is the worst i have felt in a long time, and i just was wondering what you all do to get over weight gain, and low self esteem....

sorry i dont usually write stuff like this for attention, but i am not ina good place right now....

thanks for all your advice and encouragement.

Replies

• wintergirl99
    Options
    i've felt like this before, but its okay. just remember u cant keep putting it off. its now or never!
  • rebeccaruth
    Options
    i also went off the wagon this past weekend when i was working ALL weekend... i just tell myself that it happens to everyone and im going to try and make this week better to make up for it. just try to make better food choices this week and get in a little more exercise. maybe also try to remember how your feeling now so the next time you go for that sugary snack at night you might be able to pass it up instead. just keep your head up and keep going forward... thats all you can do... the past is the past and you live and learn. hope this helps!! and just remember this happens to EVERYONE!! you are not alone!!! just keep your chin up... everything will fine :)
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    You're not alone in how you are feeling. I find the best way to get back on track and overcome these feelings is to start exercising. There is no time like the present! Once you get back at the exercise the endorphins will take over and you'll feel better. If the exercise that you normally do seems like too much of a challenge in your current state of mind take a nice walk. This always makes me feel better and helps to reframe my thinking.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hi mcohan,

Don't get down. You can do this. Every meal is new opportunity to start over. So don't feel like a failure over any thing you ate in the past. It's history. Just focus on your next meal.

Don't skip meals... ever. That is what leads to eating sugar and late night eating.

Eat 5-6 times a day, including high protein snacks like Greek yogurt, light string cheese, nuts, or low-carb protein bars to tie you over. Never go more than 3 hours without eating and you'll find that you won't feel like eating junk late at night.
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Take things one step or day at a time. It can be overwhelming when looking at the big picture, but if you start taking steps in the right direction - you WILL get to your destination. It's ok to have times when you eat bad or just lose control, but don't make it a pattern. One bad day doesn't mean you have to have five bad days. No one is perfect and we all have our challenges. You are not alone. We are all on this journey together and we will get there if we stick with it. Good luck and I hope this finds you in a better place.
  • jljohnson4041
    Options
    Oh sweetheart I am in the SAME boat. I am just now getting back on track and realizing how much I have been hurting myself by not staying on top of things. I think we all go through a point where we get off, but the difference is, those that succeed find a way to get back on track and struggle through to feeling better. It may take some time, but trust me, you will get there and start feeling that the beautiful person that you are. Keep your head! From here on out....its game on!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    this happens to me, too often, and for weeks at a time.....I just hate it when I am in that funk! What helps me, is reading articles on wt loss or posts here on SUCCESS! and...........exercise. It truly does help your mood. In fact, I sometimes think exercising is more important than the food, well for me anyway. Also, try to remember why you want to lose wt....what motivated you in that moment? If you really want to lose wt, you WILL do it! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    yes, been really depressed, before! Now with me losing some weight/inches I feel better about myself then ever before. Today is the day to start, may it be baby foot steps or more. Try planning your meals for the day ahead of time. Helps me to stay on track, instead of at the end of the day were I might over eat. Try to have more protein in your snacks, thats if your hungry. If you have snack items in your house were you go out of control eating, get rid of them. Today is the day, to do this for you, no one else can do this, but YOU!! Exercise is a great stress reliever, walking is great for you, YOU CAN DO THIS, SO QUIT PUTTING IT OFF, START NOW!!! Remember why your doing this, look in the mirror every morning Self talks are great! :flowerforyou:
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    there were many times when i thought i couldnt do any worst. and then look at the scale and gain sooo much weight. then next day i would just feel awful. thats when i remind myself. dont let the food get to you. try to keep on schedule, and usually what i have now is that i just recently made quotes to help me. :) maybe you could try that also. make quotes or find quote that will help you or its a kick in the butt. :)

just remember never to quit :)
    cause you will make it :) i believe you can do it <3
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Have you been writing everything down? Before you feel the need to put the food in your mouth, write it down. Sometimes seeing the number written down can make a world of difference and make you think if it is really worth the calories.

Have the past few weeks been stressful? Is your over consumption of food due to stress or boredom? Do you eat when you are not hungry but eating because it gives you something to do? Before you buy the candy or chips or whatever, think about why you want to eat that food? Is it to fill an emotional need rather than a physical one? It has taken me a long time to realize that I eat most of the time to ease an emotion I was feeling. One of my big reasons for over eating was because I was depressed and I just didn't care, when I really did. I had to look at food differently. I still deal with emotional eating, but I know when my hunger is more emotional rather than physical.
  • brunsie
    brunsie Posts: 54
    Options
    You are not alone. Depression is a very real issue that I have been dealing with as well. What you wrote could have been my words just 4 months ago. I was at my worst. It was like a horrible cycle that wouldn't stop. However, I made an effort to make it stop. I took charge. I went to a therapist for the depression, and have been reading some wonderful self help books as well.

You have to love yourself and love the body you have right now before you can move forward. I am still a work in progress but it can be done. Please don't give up hope. This is a long winding journey that we are on with many different paths to follow. Choose wisely and when you get to the end of your journey you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.

Keep you head up, come back here often, the support on these site is truly amazing. I have all the faith in the world that you will get through this.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    You are definitely not alone in this feeling and hopefully just knowing that is comforting. In regards to getting back on track, it really is important that you don't skip meals, and truly try to eat 5-6 times a day. And whenever possible, plan out your day or at least part of it in advance so that you know what your choices are instead of going and just looking in the cabinets or refrigerator. Don't judge yourself so harshly when you do not stick to your plan, and know that you just start over as many times as necessary. We each do that every day that we get out of bed! Hang in there and readjust your goals to make your journey more doable for yourself at this phase in your life.