Calories burned for weight lifting???

Options
Hi! I am new, have looked around for awhile and do not find anything to answer this question. When I enter my exercise for the day, there are no calories taken off for the weight lifting done? Why is this & how should I handle it? I do about 45 min before cardio...nothing massive. I am a female wanting to tone up, but I know it burns something!
Thanks!!

Replies

• coopersmom2006
    Options
    I use my heart rate monitor for any exercise I do and this includes lifting.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I also would suggest a Heart Rate Monitor. I use the Polar FT4, works great! Got mine from Amazon.com The other thing you can do is to call the exercise circuit training, since that would be the closest. Although, a HRM is much more accurate.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You have to enter it in the cardio section to get the calories. Under strength training or circuit.

the strength section is just for logging your progress with weights, sets and reps
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You have to enter it in the cardio section to get the calories. Under strength training or circuit.

the strength section is just for logging your progress with weights, sets and reps

Quoted for truth
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new, have looked around for awhile and do not find anything to answer this question. When I enter my exercise for the day, there are no calories taken off for the weight lifting done? Why is this & how should I handle it? I do about 45 min before cardio...nothing massive. I am a female wanting to tone up, but I know it burns something!
    Thanks!!
    Doesn't burn enough to even register. Use weight training as a means to retain muscle mass.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Quoted for truth

Double-quoted.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I also would suggest a Heart Rate Monitor. I use the Polar FT4, works great! Got mine from Amazon.com The other thing you can do is to call the exercise circuit training, since that would be the closest. Although, a HRM is much more accurate.
    HRMs are reasonably accurate for steady-state cardio; much less so for strength training. Azdak has an excellent blog entry explaining the specifics in detail, but I don't have it bookmarked.
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

I use the description on MFP of STRENGTH TRAINING (weight lifting, weight training).... by and large, as long as you aren't resting too much, and had a short cardio warm up to get your muscles warmed up well... you should be in your 60-65% MHR zone (which is primarily fat burning) and the caloric burn should be right on with your HRM...at least it has been for me...

If you use MFP to record your strength training workout, it won't record calories, that goes in a separate entry under cardio... anerobic training is also CARDIO
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
    Doesn't burn enough to even register. Use weight training as a means to retain muscle mass.

This is completely false, for a 300# guy like me, 45 minutes of strength training burns about 300 calories... same as me running two miles... it won't improve your aerobic fitness, but it definitely burns calories...