Calling all C25K grads!

Options
I've completed C25K a few weeks ago (probably about 5-6weeks ago actually) and I'm floundering a bit now - I'm struggling to even run for the 30mins I could manage quite easily at the time and I've found myself going out less and less because every run seems more difficult than the last!! Could be because I'm not training as often, I've had a persistent cold/flu for a couple weeks, I've not been eating at my best (birthday celebrations knocked me off track for a couple weeks) or if it's the cold weather thats ruining everything but at this rate I'll be starting C25K again from scratch come January and thats NOT what I want!!

So...can anyone recommend a 5K to 10K running programme? Preferably one with podcasts...? I love the NHS podcasts with Laura so something similar would be great!

Replies

• EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    anyone...?
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I graduated C25K a few months ago and ran my first race last weekend and my best time is around 50mins. Granted I'm 280+lbs so my time is a work in progress.

First off, there are several factors that could be giving you bad workout runs.

1) Your health- you said you have been sick, that's a big deal to your body and not having energy. Don't run while you are sick to are only shooting yourself in the foot.

2) Food habits- I remember Thanksgiving...and the havoc it wrecked on my body and running. Took about a week to get my body's digestion and energy level back up. I had some bad running days after. Your's might be the same thing. I discovered I will eat a larger breakfast and lighter meals closer to my run because running on a full stomach is just murder.

3) Sleep?

4) Stress?

5) Weather changes? Its getting cold here and while I dont have issues running in the low 50s...I don't want to run in anything less so my runs now are "Ughhh I have to run... blahhh its cold".

6) How often do you train? How far? After I finished the program I stuck with 1-2 days between runs. Only longer if I had an injury or was sick. The days I did that my running was very rough. I still try to make it 3.1/5K each run.

The thing about running is that YOU are always evolving and you will continue to tweak your daily habits when you see running results. Running is never constant at all. Listen to your body's feedback.

I would suggest you go out and run the 3.1 miles and just see how long it takes you. Make that your benchmark and then run every other day. Your body will get stronger and leaner if you stick to this idea. But, if you are hurting or sick- just rest. Next find a local 5K and sign up so you have a goal to keep you running.

Don't give up- you trained for 8 weeks to get this far. Don't throw in the towel because of some bad runs and the fact you are still learning to understand to your body feedback. :)

*HUGS*
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    There is a running program called B210K (beyond to 10k) that picks up from the 30 minute run and takes you to 10k.

I don't think you would decondition that fast. It sounds like you have been sick and likely need to let your body get well before running.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend Ease into 10K.. which takes the less confident 5K-er and gets you ready for a 10K. The other thing you might want to do is just run intervals. I find that a 10 minute run followed by 1 minute walk works wonders. Gives me a teeny break and energy boost and I still end up making good time! Just play around with it. You don't need to run 30 minutes straight.

But yes.. rest up and get well.. you won't undo everything so quickly! Good luck!
  • back_to_18
    Options
    I'm just going to complete the B210K programme on Thursday this week.

There's 5 weeks of running - the first 4 weeks are a single podcast repeated 3 times and week 5 is three different runs with each getting a little longer than the last (much like the end of C25K).

The podcasts are pretty basic - just a 5 minute warm up - a set of "start running"/"stop running" commands and a 5 minute cool down. There's none of the other information that Laura provided in the NHS C25K programme.

The music is quite "pop" (think Britney Spears, Pink etc.) and the same songs are repeated a few times for over the course of the later runs.

I've found the podcasts useful in moving on from 5K to 10K and would recommend giving them a go They may not be to everyone's taste (particularly those used to the supportive/informative nature of the NHS C25K) but they've got me running 10K three times a week.

I believe you can download a ZIP file of the podcasts from here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55081822/B210K.zip

Whatever you choose - keep with the running! You've become a runner and can do 5K - surprisingly (for me at least) 10K wasn't twice as hard!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    There is a running program called B210K (beyond to 10k) that picks up from the 30 minute run and takes you to 10k.

I don't think you would decondition that fast. It sounds like you have been sick and likely need to let your body get well before running.

This! I did b210k after c25k which I finished about June 2012. After I finished b210k I downloaded the runkeeper beginner half marathon training program. I need a program that tells me what to run on a specific day.
    I just plan to keep moving forward. I agree that any bad eatting pattern has hurt my runs. I just repeat a week until I feel I did it right. :flowerforyou:
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    I have done the C25K twice. :) Went through it the first time - loved it - and completed a 5K (not fast - but jogged the whole way).... then took a break. I just wasn't quite in the 'running' mindset. So I started again.... and then moved to a 10K.

Winters for me are really tough to stay motivated. I second the comment about Runkeeper and signing up for one of their free training plans - it does help when you have something telling you to get out there and RUN.

Also - podcasts - I enjoy techno/dance style -- strong beat and long songs.

I have enjoyed podcasts from:
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

Good luck with your running!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in with another vote for B210K.

I moved right in to B210K after I finished C25K in March of this year.

I really liked running and what it did for me by the end of C25K... but running the longer distances/longer durations that I got to with B210K really made me fall in love with running by the end of the program.

Ted
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone - great advice!

I'll be off to look up this B210K then! And take it easy until this damned cold disappears. xxx
  • EmzGetsFit
    Options
    bump
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I found running 3 lamp posts then walking 10 helps me!
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I could foresee a similar issue happening when I finished c25k, I went about a week without running, without the little app telling me what to do. I downloaded the bridge to 10k, but haven't really gotten focussed on that yet, I just needed to re-focus. I'm not ready for 10k - I did the c25k on the treadmill at 0.0 incline, I've instead opted to increase my incline to 1.0 to mimic running outside, and am only running 3k at the moment, but hoping to get further the next time.

I figure, whatever it takes to challenge yourself!