Reccommendations for a 45 minute workout?

Options
Hi all

I have just joined the gym around the corner from my work. I'm hoping to go three times a week. 2 of those days I will be attending a dynamic yoga class, and the other day I intend to spend in the gym.

Can anyone recommend an effective 45 minute workout? I find when I get in to the gym I feel at a bit of a loss on what to do. I would like to do a mix of cardio and strength training.

I also brisk walk 3 miles four days a week and run at weekends, so I am getting some cardio in there.

Replies

• orlandomichael
    Options
    If you are overwhelmed by it, which is normal, just get into the circuit that is there; a series of machines you do a set of , one after the other. Do it briskly to keep up your heart rate and it will get your muscles through the soreness. Then finish up on maybe a cycle machine of some kind, something like an elliptical which works your legs different from running and finish up with sit-ups.

Soon after, you may continue that and jump into the weight room to try out a machine or two at a time and go from there. Alot of people try out the circuit and abandon it after awhile because it looks like it is for first timers. For max results change things up. Leave that after 6 weeks , go to something else and come back to it or other routines. Keep the muscles guessing.

Also, get a heart rate monitor.
  • Squatbenchrepeat
    Options
    Squat, bench, dead lift. That's all you need to do - 5 sets of 5 will last you 45 minuets.

If you want to keep your muscles 'guessing', just add more weight.

Look up good programs, NROWL, starting strength, and stronglifts 5x5.

Don't go with machines, free weight lifting is the way to go!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your goals, what is available, your basic knowledge of exercise and so on. I would say if you are overwhelmed and don't know where to start, make sure you talk to a personal trainer and have them teach you the machines, other good exercises with the free weights and how to best utilize the time based on your goals. Usually 1-2 sessions with a trainer is free as part of the membership. It's worth your time to do this
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Squat, bench, dead lift. That's all you need to do - 5 sets of 5 will last you 45 minuets.

If you want to keep your muscles 'guessing', just add more weight.

Look up good programs, NROWL, starting strength, and stronglifts 5x5.

Don't go with machines, free weight lifting is the way to go!
    There's nothing wrong with starting out with circuit training while learning the ropes
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I used to like to do circuts on the machines. You don't need to have a spotter on those as well as there are lots of them so your heart rate doesn't drop because you are waiting your turn when it's busy. You can also do a variety of calisthenics.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    In this case I would do the squat/bench/deadlift mentioned above, but I would cut it down to 1 set of 3 or 4 reps. Use the remaining time to do high intensity intervals on an elliptical.

Yoga will add some strength and flexibility and help with your breathing. Lifting very, very heavy will add some muscle (not much because it's only 1 day a week). The HIIT will increase your VO2 Max and overall cardio endurance in a very short time.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    What's your aim?

Lose fat?
    Get stronger?
    Get faster?
    Do a race? (if so what distance and discipline?)

Without some sort of aim, you'll get as many suggestions are there are people.