Eating Exc Calories when Working Out at Night

Options
I have been logging my food and excercise here for several months but haven't posted until now. I have read a lot about the benefits of eating your exc calories but I work out at night after the kids are in bed, which is usually around 9:00 p.m. I don't want to eat that late at night but am usually going to bed hungry and waking up hungry. Any advice on that situation? Beth

Replies

• Mludwig04
    Options
    I always wake up starving. Breakfast is supposed to break the fast. If I don't wake up hungry than I know that I ate too much the night before. You're going at least 7 hours without food and I usually eat every 3-4 hours so I am definitely hungry when I wake up.
  • Mludwig04
    Options
    You could also guess your average exercise calories and eat them earlier in the day and then just have a small snack before you go to bed to replenish nutrients.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    sorry no advice here but would like to hear feedback on this cuz I have the same problem sometimes.
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You should really eat a little something after you workout, especially if you are hungry before going to bed! Something small and light wont hurt you!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would just make sure you are eating enough throughout the daytime to support your workout later at night. And then, I agree, a small snack after the workout wouldn't hurt.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I work out after the kids are in bed. Sometimes as late as 10:00. I have been having a serving of chocolate milk after working out. I was told that the protein helps with muscle recovery. If I have the calories, I have it if I don't I won't.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I would just make sure you are eating enough throughout the daytime to support your workout later at night. And then, I agree, a small snack after the workout wouldn't hurt.

I agree. Maybe try eating a little more throughout the day like only eat the amount of calories you think you'll be burning off later.
    Example, my daily goal is 1200, so I would try to eat 1500 and then burn off the 300 late at night, that way you'll break even.

If I eat before I go to bed, then I wake up starving and it feels like someone is stabbing my tummy with hundreds of needles and sometimes i even feel nauscious. I never eat at least 2 hours before going to bed because of that reason. My bedtime is usually 10, so I don't eat anything after 8 PM.
  • worchard
    worchard Posts: 30
    Options
    I too workout at night after the kids go to bed. Usually feels good to brun off the dinner before going to bed, but also I will have the BeachBody Recovery Drink that has nutrients to fill be back up until the morning.
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the comments here. Its always good to have a little snack. Specially a protein packed one after a workout. I usually do some almond milk with whey protein or a light string cheese.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. With kids the only time I have usually is in the eve. Sometimes after I log my exercise I have a 700+ calories deficit that I need to eat. UM no, not at 7-8pm at night. One thing I started doing is adding my work out early in the day. I get a double whammy. I HAVE to work out because I've already eaten my calories LOL. It's not perfect because a lot of times I under estimate my actual calories burned and still end up under my cal goal, but it is an improvement. GL :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Perfect post workout-pre bed snack - low fat cottage cheese. Why? Low in fat, calories and carbs, but high in casein - which is a slow absorbing protein, it takes your body twice as long to digest as other proteins, therefore keeping your body burning/refueling. Plus it keeps you fuller without being a huge meal before bed, Another option - chocolate low fat milk. Both are great choices to refuel late at night after a workout.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I just plan for my workout calories first thing in the day. I have my set workout days and on those days I plan to have extra calories and eat a little extra during the day. I know I burn a minimum of 300 calories at the gym most days. So I try to get in at least an extra 200-250. I plan all my meals in advance, enter in dinner and everything by 10:00. If it's a workout day my diary is in the red until I get done with the gym.

This also encourages me to really push at the gym or not go "I don't feel like it" at the last minute. Instead I'm going "It's too late, I've already eaten those calories! Gotta go!"

So in that way, eating "BACK" your calories is probably the wrong phrase for it because it implies you have to burn them off first.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I always log my exercise in the morning and eat the right amount including that for the day, otherwise I would never eat enough. Also, by doing it this way it forces me to go to Kickboxing even if I don't feel like it cause I'd be WAY over my cals if I didn't.
    Hope this helps :bigsmile:
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    What about a protein shake or one of those carnation instant breakfasts? Seems like it would be the perfect thing for that late, even if it's only half a glass.
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Perfect post workout-pre bed snack - low fat cottage cheese. Why? Low in fat, calories and carbs, but high in casein - which is a slow absorbing protein, it takes your body twice as long to digest as other proteins, therefore keeping your body burning/refueling. Plus it keeps you fuller without being a huge meal before bed, Another option - chocolate low fat milk. Both are great choices to refuel late at night after a workout.

I love cottage cheese and never would buy it but now I am to use as my night time snack!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

i tried one of those cottage cheese twin packs with the strawberry sides and didn't care for it at all.
    any brand/kind of cottage cheese you'd recommend?
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Those cottage cheese packs with fruit are not good at all to me, either. I buy Breakstone's cottage cheese and do my own mix-ins.