Success with hypothyroidism?

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I found the book MASTER YOUR METABOLISM by Jillian Michaels very interesting and it discusses hypothyroidsim, among other hormonal imbalances. I am wondering if there are other people out there who have read and found this interesting/helpful? Perhaps you may as well! :)

I have been thinking about getting this and reading it. I didn't even know it discussed hypothroidism. I am definitely going to get it and read it soon!
  • mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

If I am posting this in the wrong section, I apologize. I am wondering if anyone has had success losing weight with hypothyroidism, and if you can share your story. What did you do that worked?

I'm 31, and put on about 30 lbs. in 6 months. Yes, I did eat more and exercised yes, but definitely not to THAT extent. Got tested for hypothyroidism, and will be getting the results soon. I also have been very tired.

Thanks!

I went from being hyper to hypo and gained a lot of weight. I have had success in taking off about half of the weight and I am working on the other half. It is hard work but it can be done. Feel free to add me as a friend for support. I have other friends that are hypothyroid as well.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I've been hypo my whole life, and was diagnosed at two weeks old. As far as loosing weight goes, when I try hard, it falls off. Just make sure your levels are always getting checked and you will do fine :)

this!
  • ChrisC8181
    ChrisC8181 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate your insight. I'm going to take a look at the forum for hypo/hyper on MFP. MFP is great!
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 07' a year after my first child. Once you are taking your meds, it will help. Like what everyone else said, it can be done but the progress is so much slower. Diet and exercise is definitely the key. I also did researches on what types of food that is good for your thyroid and bad for it. When I started to cut down on carbs and added more protein, the weight started coming off faster. With Hypo your metabolism is soo much slower than a normal person so I try my hardest to be as active as i can be. It does suck that we have to work twice as hard as a normal person but its worth it to feel and be healthier.

Good luck on your journey:) just remember to keep on moving
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think the best advice that I have is to make an appt with an endocrinologist, not just your FMD. Someone who specializes in the disease can give the best advice. I have been hypothyroid for 25 + years, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune disease. Since then, have been on synthroid with blood levels checked at least annually and meds adjusted as needed based on values. My doctor told me once-+it's not the disease that causes you to gain, it's inactivity". I resented it and realized it was true. I was never really overweight, based on height. I'm 6 foot and currently 150.
    Since the initial diagnosis of hypothyroidism, I've been diagnosed with 2 other autoimmune diseases-cutaneous lupus (only skin form of disease, thank goodness) and raynaud's disease (disease of small blood vessels in hands) and 1 "so called autoimmune, according to research".--breast cancer. Cancer problem is solved-gone, but then a med post surgery that caused weight gain, hence MFP and lots of work and dedication to moderation and desire to live longer.
    Am I telling you this to compete with your statement/question or for sympathy? No, just to tell you that if you have hypo, then get to an endocrinologist and be committed to the treatment. But, endocrine diseases go hand in hand with other diseases, that can snow ball for you without supervision by an MD. You own your health and health status, be your own advocate! Best wishes! PS-do I sound like a big blowhard? I'm a retired ER nurse, nursing professor, who has given mega advice, but in NO way claim to be a diagnostitian!!!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/ hyperthyroidism early in my last pregnancy. I was losing weight and down to 165lbs at 4 months pregnant (starting in the 170's). I ended up having to have my thyroid removed because I couldn't take the dose of medication needed to regulate me while pregnant. After my daughter was born I ballooned to 210lbs (that was my weight Dec 2011). I started MFP in Jan 2012; one year later I'm back down to 165lbs. It's been a long and slow process with ups and downs but I'm getting closer to my goal of 150-155lbs. I've had to watch and log EVERYTHING I eat as well as exercise at least 4-5 times a week. I've used Jillian DVD's 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, Killer Buns and Thighs, Extreme Shed and Shred and 6 week 6 pack. My fav's are the 30 Day Shred, Killer Buns and Thighs and Extreme Shed and Shred.
  • shelliehb
    shelliehb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Getting your thyroid levels in check does not guarentee you will lose weight. Since thyroid is one of the metabolism hormones, it may effect other hormone levels as well. There are some people who may actually gain weight when there TSH becomes normal, this is generally caused by increased hunger stimulation.
    As for the monitoring of your levels, would recommend antibody testing only with the initial diagnosis of the disease as this will help determine the type of thyroid disease. Once you have started thyroid replacement, it provides no benefit.
    90% of all thyroid medication adjustment is based on TSH levels. This is because the T4 thyroid hormone has a half life of 7-8 days and the T3 thyroid hormone has a half live of 6-8 hours. This means that it takes at least 6-8 weeks before the thyroid replacement you take today will have its full effect. The TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is a measurement of the pituitary gland's (master hormone gland) response to the amount of thyroid hormone you have in the system. TSH is less erratic and has the most consistent assay of thyroid lab test.
    You can have the TSH, Free T4 and Free T3 checked to assess levels, but TSH should be the level the thyroid medication is adjusted by. (make sure they are testing the Free T4 and Free T3 and not just T4 and T3 as these are protein bound hormones and this can effect levels as well)
    as for the types of replacement most medications are T4 replacments (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothryoxine and Tirosent) as T4 is the primary hormone produced by the thyroid and it gets converted to T3 by the muscles. Armour thyroid/Nature Thryoid/compounded thyroid are obtained from desicated pig thyroid and provide T4 and T3.
    Normal levels for the TSH generally range between 0.3-3.0 which is a very wide range. Most people do well with levels <2, but it varies as to were you feel the best. Make sure you keep an open line of communication with your provider as to your symptoms (fatigue, hair loss, sleep disorders, memory issues, swelling to feet, tremors, numbness and tingling to the hands and feet, issues with concentration, consitpation/diarrhea, increased irritabiltiy).
    Have your levels checked about every 3 months while you are working on losing weight as the lean muscle mass may effect your hormone levels.
    Hope this helps
  • zoeysmom08
    zoeysmom08 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am also hypo and the thing I have found out about myself is that I can lose the weight but I can also put it back on if I don't continue to watch what I eat and keep up with my exercise. I have to be so diligent about that. I can't for a second think about NOT measuring my food intake and NOT keeping up with my exercise routine. I am here trying to lose at least 40 pounds of the 100 I lost because I went off my plan. You can definitely lose the weight when you have hypothyroidism, but I have found that I have to work hard at it because I am also very good at putting the weight right back on!
  • Delia47
    Delia47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on meds for over 50 years and just this last few years I have lost 30k. I put on weight easy so have to watch all the time what I eat or up I go. Like this Christmas Season up 6k but lost 3k already most of it was fluid but you have to catch it right away or before you know it you will be well over again.
    Not easy but can be done.
    Delia
  • jeanandgang
    Options
    All these posts were very helpful to me also, I was diagnosed w/Hashis about a year ago & I'm still having my meds adjusted. It's been discouraging seeing the scale not move, but hearing everyone else's struggles is giving me hope!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You can have the TSH, Free T4 and Free T3 checked to assess levels, but TSH should be the level the thyroid medication is adjusted by.

I absolutely disagree with this. All levels should be taken into account, in particular the free T3 level.

Many people who are taking thyroid meds are on synthetic T4-only, and the body's TSH levels react differently to this. It's very common for TSH to be quite suppressed in those taking any thyroid meds; suppressed enough to be called "hyper" by uneducated doctors. If only the TSH is managed this missed a HUGE piece of the puzzle.

As well, many people with thyroid issues have difficulties converting T4 into T3; especially people who have had RAI or a thyroidectomy. Testing and dosing on TSH alone would be completely negligent. As an example, after my thyroidectomy my TSH was at 2.3....so "normal", right? My free T3 was below the bottom of the range, and I was competely symptomatic.

Dosing based on TSH alone also doesn't let people know whether they should be on a different med (synthetic T4 only, adding synthetic T3, or taking a natural/dessicated med).

Yes, TSH is a senstitive test. But that doesn't make it the RIGHT test to base dosage on.
    As for the monitoring of your levels, would recommend antibody testing only with the initial diagnosis of the disease as this will help determine the type of thyroid disease. Once you have started thyroid replacement, it provides no benefit.

I disagree with this also. Antibody levels can be an indicator of whether your autoimmune issues are in check or not. It's also incredibly useful information for women in their childbearing years.

(make sure they are testing the Free T4 and Free T3 and not just T4 and T3 as these are protein bound hormones and this can effect levels as well)
    as for the types of replacement most medications are T4 replacments (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothryoxine and Tirosent) as T4 is the primary hormone produced by the thyroid and it gets converted to T3 by the muscles. Armour thyroid/Nature Thryoid/compounded thyroid are obtained from desicated pig thyroid and provide T4 and T3.

Now this part I agree with - always make sure they're testing your free T's, as this is the amount not bound to carrier proteins and is available for your body to use.

Synthetic T4 only replacements like the ones listed above can be more difficult for the body to convert into usable T3, as they aren't bioidentical to your body's natural T4. As well, many people with hypothyroid (especially if due to RAI or thyroidectomy) have issues with this conversion process. These people generally do much better on the natural/dessicated thyroid meds, and somewhat better when synthetic T3 (like cytomel) is added.

Dessicated meds also contain T2 and T1, and the impact of these is just starting to be researched. The T4 is also identical to your natural T4 hormone and is more easily converted into T3.

Make sure you keep an open line of communication with your provider as to your symptoms (fatigue, hair loss, sleep disorders, memory issues, swelling to feet, tremors, numbness and tingling to the hands and feet, issues with concentration, consitpation/diarrhea, increased irritabiltiy).
    Have your levels checked about every 3 months while you are working on losing weight as the lean muscle mass may effect your hormone levels.

Agree with this as well, that symptoms are an important part of the diagnostic process and in monitoring your own levels.

Would also encourage people to get their Vit D, iron, ferritin, and selenium levels checked as these are either part of the process in converting T4->T3, or are part of T3 expression at the cellular level. Vit D in particular is generally low in North America, and research has shown success with Vit D levels in the high-normal range (60-100).
  • kris4913
    Options
    If the tests do come back that you have some thyroid problems, I would highly recommend joining thyroidboards.com
    Lots of great advice on what tests to have your doctors do, weight loss with thyroid issues, support for symptoms, etc
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!