Early Morning Workouts

Options
I get up at 4:45 every morning to do my workouts...anywhere here do that as well? I'm looking at what you do this early in the AM to prevent nausea during workouts. I tried drinking gatorade about 10-15 minutes before working out and that does not help and I just started drinking Coconut Water 10-15 minutes before hand and that helps a bit but towards the end of my workout I can feel the nausea coming on. I get up about 4:45-4:50 and generally start my workout between 5:00 and 5:05.

Just trying to get some ideas from other who experience nausea in the morning.

Replies

• 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I usually have an oatmeal bar or a couple cups of coffee first. Just to have something in my stomach. I get up at 4:30 to do my workouts.
  • Beaivi
    Beaivi Posts: 7
    Options
    I tend to work out in the mornings but never as early as you. That said sometimes I do not eat before working out. I have some water and sip water in between whatever activity I'm doing and then eat after.
    If I am hungry I maybe eat a banana (slowly!) or drink coconut water + eat the meat. Do not eat if you're not hungry.
  • 4plus2
    4plus2 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am also up at 4:30 to workout. I generally just have a small glass of water before beginning and a protein shake afterwards. I do not experience nauseau though. I hope it resolves for you!
  • Cowgirl_Jody
    Cowgirl_Jody Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I get up at 430 every morning and started my workouts by 440. I never eat anything before 7am but drinks tons of cold water. I have never felt nausea so far. Try ginger tea it really helps nausea and unset stomach
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30, have a cup of coffee and hit the weights hard. I've never had that problem. Are you eating enough? I usually feel like I still have food in me from the previous evening.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I kept a container of almonds in my workout area and would eat 5 - 10 of them. That seemed to help. I don't need them anymore because my body seems to be used to working out early now.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i usually just have bcaas before cardio in the morning. unless i'm lifting, than it's bcaas, a preworkout and a spoonful of coconut oil. i still get to burping with the bcaas, but, the pros beat out fruit punch flavored burps anyday
  • charaxid
    Options
    I don't experience nausea from work outs, but i normally drink 20 oz of water and then do my work out...
    I've been finding it difficult to get up at 5:45 each day instead of 6:30 like I used to (new hours at work)...

What do you do to get yourself out of bed at 4:45? What time do you typically go to sleep?
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    It depends what I'm doing and where I am, I'm up either at 4:15am (drive to the gym and am working out at 4:45) or 5:15am (drive to the gym and am working out at 5:45) if it's a cardio day, I usually don't worry about having anything to eat and just have a protein bar or half, after. If I'm lifting since my body isn't as used to that yet, I need something and will eat half a protein bar while I'm driving to the gym. Some people do bananas, a personal trainer once told me a slice of bread with peanut butter would be enough (for me it's a bit too heavy) the best thing would be to try a couple different things and see how much and how your body reacts
  • aliparry
    aliparry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go for a run at about 6.30.. I manage a coffee and that is it beforehand.. don't seem to suffer from nausea generally though only if I'm really tired.. I have squash when I get back and breakfast about an hour later..
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that peppermint helps with nausea...I give my kids peppermint tea when their tummy is upset...seems to help them...good luck....
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I find I workout best first thing in the morning with an empty stomach. My routine is wake up, throwback my pre workout drink on the way to the gym(usually jack3d) hop on an arc trainer/elliptical for a 20 minute warm up then hit my workout for the day while consuming a huge gulp of water in between each set I do. Works great for me!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I find I workout best first thing in the morning with an empty stomach. My routine is wake up, throwback my pre workout drink on the way to the gym(usually jack3d) hop on an arc trainer/elliptical for a 20 minute warm up then hit my workout for the day while consuming a huge gulp of water in between each set I do. Works great for me!

This is my exact routine (except my pre-WO is C4) and I've been noticing that I'm starting to feel nauseous towards the end of my workout.... Never had this problem before, it's a new occurrence. Thought I was the only one that had a weird stomach. I've been trying to change up some things, not have anything before, limit the water during, etc. But never fails, when I have 1 or 2 lifting sets left for the day my stomach starts gurgling :grumble:
  • erinpooh
    Options
    I get up at about 4:45, drink coffee, dress, and go work out. I'm usually at the club for my 70 minutes of cardio no later than 5:15, since I usually check email while I drink my coffee. I make sure I have dinner and a snack the night before, and don't usually have a problem with nausea.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I workout on an empty stomach. Afterwards I take vitamins with a glass of water and a protein shake before I hit the shower an do the rest of my morning routine.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

This is my exact routine (except my pre-WO is C4) and I've been noticing that I'm starting to feel nauseous towards the end of my workout.... Never had this problem before, it's a new occurrence. Thought I was the only one that had a weird stomach. I've been trying to change up some things, not have anything before, limit the water during, etc. But never fails, when I have 1 or 2 lifting sets left for the day my stomach starts gurgling :grumble:

I'd blame it less on the water as the more likely culprit is the C4. I've rotated through quite a few pre workouts including C4 and found my body reacts differently to each.Consider either cutting back you dose or trying a different pre workout all together for a cycle just to see if that stops the feeling
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When I did my workouts early in the morning (now I work at 6AM so only run before work if the temperature is above 30) I would either have nothing or I would have a little bit of coffee before the gym and then would eat a pb&j or a protein afterwards. I never had a problem with nausea during a morning workout though; so not sure how to cure that.
  • JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    I get up EARLY and am usually in the gym by 5 - 5:15 am. I usually eat something around 4 am and take a protein powder with me and have that right after completing my workout.

Haven't had any issues with nausea at all. I just have to be mindful about what I eat (depending upon whether it is a lighter or heavier day in the gym).

OP: hope that someone has some helpful suggestions coming your way.
  • queeenb2013
    queeenb2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    not been a member on here for long only for a day so far. I have been waking up at 8 every morning having breakfast (special k) with a small glass of pure orange juice then go for a 20 min walk once in a morning and then again after dinner and i have also been do other exercise (housework, stepper, wii fit ect.....) i am doing well so far :)
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    To those that only drink coffee before their early morning workouts; do you lift weights?