CHEAP but healthy

Options
I'm going to the store after work tonight and need to only get foods that will work on my plan, but I don't have much money to work with. What are some ideas for some cheap ways to stick to my plan for next week with these groceries?

I have noticed that eating healthy is so EXPENSIVE!!

Replies

• RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy should not be expensive. Just don't buy packaged "health foods." The best foods for you tend to be the simplest, you just need to do a little more prepping and cooking.

Brown rice.
    Oats.
    Seasonal fruits and veggies
    Potatoes
    Eggs
    Chicken
    Canned tuna
    Beans
    Corn tortillas

Done.
  • Cowgirl_Jody
    Cowgirl_Jody Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You are so right eating healthy is more expensive, I try to buy lots of beans brown rice and as much fruits as I can afford. Oranges here right now are $6.00 a bag so I stay away from those. Apples and bananas are pretty cheap. Nuts are also expensive but I try to squeeze some in my cart anyway.
  • bean6344
    bean6344 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try and find a small farmers market in your area if at all possible. There are tons of them down here in Tampa. You can get fresh fruit and veggies for 1/3 to 1/2 (or even more) off of the standard grocery cost. I hit mine up once or twice a week.

Bean
  • Pepper430
    Options
    All great replies so far, thanks! I'm pretty sure I just heard someone tell me about a farmers market in my town last night, so I will go by there today!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    It is possible to eat healthy on a budget.

Buy in season fruit and veg, check the discounted areas in the bakery and dairy sections for cheap bread/wraps/yoghurt/milk etc - UHT milk is also very cheap if you're okay with drinking it.
    Buy lots of canned beans, legumes and veg (corn/peas/baby beets)
    Chicken, Basa, Tuna, lean mince and eggs are all cheap forms of protein
    Brown rice, big bags of oats, pasta, sweet potatoes are cheap and good quality carbs
    Get into habit if buying bulk amounts of cheap meats and veg, then spend one weekend a month cooking up a bunch of soups, stews, curries and casseroles and freezing individual servings
  • Micheledo
    Micheledo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/quick_weeknight_dinners_for_3_or_less ...... I hope this link helps you. It has I think 20 recipes you can use. Suppose to be a good magazine. There are probably some cheap recipes on this site also. I hope the link works. It is from Eating Well. I know what you mean about price and healthly eating. I have a lot of weight to loose and a little bit of money for groceries. I just don't cook much. Time to start I guess.
  • mitchellkd
    mitchellkd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Squashes are in season right now. I can make 3 meals out of spaghetti squash. Yum!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    We spend less than ever when shopping healthy. Our staples are bags of frozen chicken, whole grain bread, brown rice, bags of frozen veggies, milk, cheese, bananas and whatever other fruit is on sale.

I can feed my family of 3 on $50 a week easily.

Our farmers market is a rip off... it's the "oldest in Indiana" but has been taken over by people selling lots of knick nacks and crap. Veggies there I find to be more expensive than the grocery store.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    Frozen veg is often cheaper than fresh.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    -frozen blueberries
    -baby carrots
    -eggs (hard boil them for a quick, convenient snack)
    -beef jerky
    -
    -
    -
    -I'm still too drunk from last night to think of more *kitten*
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Here is a schedule for Florida of when common fruits and veggies are in season. http://www.pickyourown.org/FLharvestcalendar.htm (scroll down a bit. for the chart)

Also, for off season f&v. buy frozen. They are frozen at their peak and still contain the nutrients you want.
  • Mgetsfit
    Mgetsfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help you also! :)

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    It is possible to eat healthy on a budget.

Buy in season fruit and veg, check the discounted areas in the bakery and dairy sections for cheap bread/wraps/yoghurt/milk etc - UHT milk is also very cheap if you're okay with drinking it.
    Buy lots of canned beans, legumes and veg (corn/peas/baby beets)
    Chicken, Basa, Tuna, lean mince and eggs are all cheap forms of protein
    Brown rice, big bags of oats, pasta, sweet potatoes are cheap and good quality carbs
    Get into habit if buying bulk amounts of cheap meats and veg, then spend one weekend a month cooking up a bunch of soups, stews, curries and casseroles and freezing individual servings

this. buy what's in season.

also, some grocers have a discount area of produce that's ugly or a bit past it's prime. I often buy bruised oranges, slightly wilted spinach, and softening bell peppers for pennies. They're still good, but just not "sellable"
  • mrsedge1
    Options
    I always keep a good supply of eggs as you can do so much with them and they are so cheap and low calorie. Apples are also great as there cheap enough to buy but so filling. I buy all my veg frozen and frozen chicken breasts as they are half the price. I always have tinned soup to hand as the supermarkets often have them on offer and they are so handy for taking to work or if your stuck with a small amount of calories let for last meal of the day.
    I love cheese but find its high in calories and can be expensive so I buy babybel cheese and just crumble it in to whatever it is that I want to make chessy, its low calorie, cheap but I don't feel like I'm missnig my cheese :D
  • Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I base some of my meals around what Aldi have as their super six. Do you have the super six in USA? This week cucumber, celery, spring/green onions, 750g packet of salad potatoes, cherry tomatoes and packs of 2 gem lettuces are 49p each.
  • Pepper430
    Options
    Maybe this will help you also! :)

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com

DUDE this is awesome I'm telling all my friends about it!
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    All food is expensive these days, but I find cooking (from scratch so to speak) saves me $$$$. One can make a huge pot of beans (for example) freeze it in portion sizes and make lots more meals than from a can for a lot less. For example; take chicken bones that have baked or been in the crock pot (don't throw away the "pot liquor") - boil and make soup - FILLING AND INEXPENSIVE TO MAKE. I often just boil the chicken rather than oven or crock pot. Check specials, mark-down areas, use coupons and visit more than one store. If you are cooking for family don't double cook (one for you-one for me meals). Use reasonable sweets and snacks, i.e. popcorn (not the bagged kind - the only hard part of popping your own is washing the pan afterwards), pumpkin flan, cheesecake, mousse etc makes a healthy sweet ending to a meal, baked apples, applesauce, banana "ice cream" are all good. Try almond milk or some other alternative to cow's milk...most have a longer shelf life thus reducing spoilage. Just some things that help me (on my Fixed income.)
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Farmers Markets are your best bet!! I go on Saturdays! Ground Turkey is pretty cheap, frozen veggies if you have to.
  • Katy_G2013
    Katy_G2013 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • bean6344
    bean6344 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I forgot this one. Since you are in FL, use

www.southernsavers.com

It matches up all of the local grociers and coupons for their sales. Publix has a ton of buy one get one free sales and you can use 2 coupons on these even. This site is incredible for finding deals.

Bean