56 year old wants to lose 135 lbs!

Options
Hello! My name is Gwen, and I am sick and tired of being old and fat!! Anybody out there feel me? Anybody want to start a motivation group for over 50 years old and over 100 lbs. overweight?

I have been heavy all my life but alway carried it well, and could lose it quickly. Then menopause hit at age 40 and it has been downhill since. I am 56, a grandmother, a dachshund lover, a wife, a daughter, a mother, a sister, and a teacher. All my life I have been taking care of everybody else while I just slowly got fatter and fatter. 2013 is the year I take care of me!!

I am hoping to meet like minded folks who would help encourage and motivate one another on this weight loss journey. If you would be interested, let me know and maybe we can get a group together through here!

Have a great 2013!

Replies

• spirit0f61
    spirit0f61 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Gwen - I'm with you and got around 100lbs to lose and I'm 51. I'll send a friend request and we can support each other:)
  • msbakeragc2013
    Options
    Great! Looking forward to getting to know you and tackling this issue together!
  • ashesmf
    ashesmf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You've got this! I have over 100 lbs. to lose as well. You're going to do great!
  • joanlynel
    joanlynel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am also 56 years old. I am a yo-yo dieter. As soon as I reach my goals I start gaining again. I am never at the same weight for long. I have about 25 pounds to lose. I would like to support each other !
  • LuckBeWithU
    LuckBeWithU Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm also need to lose over 100 pounds! Feel free to add me!
  • msbakeragc2013
    Options
    Great! Yes, I know we can do this!! Looking forward to becoming weight loss buddies!
  • kathyd0829
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!!! I cared for my parents, my children, my pets, aunts and uncles until I decided 2012 was going to be MY year. I started on MFP on Feb. 2, 2012 and have lost 53 pounds so far and am now within 20 pounds of my final goal weight. The most wonderful thing is I finally get it!!! It is not about dieting until I lose a certain number of pounds, it is about changing my entire life. I am 55 years old and feel better than I have in 10 years. You can do this, feel free to add me as a friend. I check in daily, refuse to be negative but will encourage you if you are down and feel hopeless. Best of luck in 2013 and here's to the NEW and IMPROVED you!!!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT OLD!!!!

There are already several groups for us 'mature' ladies on here. If I can work out how to put links to them on here I will do it.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
  • seadiamond1
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and I'm willing to row off into the sunset with you LOL. I have about 90 pounds to lose. I've lost about 25 since August 2012 on MFP. It's hard work to change 60 years of bad habits but its more than worth it.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I hear you---YOU CAN DO IT--I'm 51 and have been following My Fitness Pal for the last 5 months. It has been the easiest of all my previous weight loss attempts. I too was tired of being fat and tired all the time. My health was teetering on the edge and I has reached MY LIMIT. I still have a way to go but am down 48 pounds so far. My energy is bursting at the seams and I FEEL WONDERFUL. Good luck on your journey to a new and improved, healthy YOU :smile:
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    You can TOTALLY do it! Maybe not as fast as you'd like, but it'll happen. Just surround yourself witha supportive "inner circle" and no one will be able to stop you! I share your love for weiner dogs! :smile:

Best of luck on your mission!
  • marygettingfit
    marygettingfit Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's never to late to get back in shape. Take one day at a time and this is a wonderful place to start. Everyone here is so supportive and knows what your going through. I have lost 68 pds. but still need to lose over 100 pds more. You can do it. Feel free to add me.
  • learn4life2
    Options
    Hi Gwen! I'm in my forties but a teacher in need of losing weight. Add me to your list of friends! The more support we all have the easier it will be.
  • msbakeragc2013
    Options
    Thanks Gail, I will go join this morning!
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT OLD!!!!

There are already several groups for us 'mature' ladies on here. If I can work out how to put links to them on here I will do it.

What Gail said. :wink: We are not old.

Love to be your friend. I started MFP in November, have lost 23 pounds and already feel fabulous. My joints don't hurt, I can get on the floor and play with my granddaughter, and I've started to enjoy shopping for clothes. I firmly believe in celebrating every success.