I dread eating out

Options
2»

Replies

• Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. My office is going out for a co-worker's bday lunch today, then tomorrow evening my other employer is taking the whole staff out to dinner as a thank you. So, I will definitely be putting my healthy eating skills into practice.
  • Squatbenchrepeat
    Options
    I eat what I want and hardly ever fit it in my macros. No troubles here. Granted I am not 1000 over, but more fuel = better lifts!
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As you're in the UK, you should be able to choose a restaurant that has opted into the calories display scheme.

http://www.food.gov.uk/scotland/news-updates/news/pressreleases/2009/apr/foodoutletscaloriesmenus#.UObfVG-il34

Only around 2 of 5 have opted in though, so it's still tricky.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Do your research before you go. Look at the menu and find the healthiest options on it. Decide what you will have before you go and STICK TO THAT.

Lots of places have their menu and nutritional info online now, making it even easier. I was amazed that Pizza Hut has a delicious pizza that's around 400 cals for the whole thing (the Virtuous Veg), so I know I can safely go out for lunch there with friends and not blow out. They also have a chicken one and a seafood one for around 450 cals each.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am dreading this part as with diets in the past i have went out having a 'treat' day then the next day i don't want to start back to my healthy eating and give in!!

I believe this ^^ (getting back to new healthy eating habits after a treat day) is one of the hardest things to conquer for many people. After a while having the occasional treat day without wanting to make every day a treat day will become easier, but till then focus on your goals and use good old fashioned will power to make you do it. Sometimes you just have pull yourself up by the bootstraps and do what you know needs doing.
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Look on the menu for the 'Lighter offerings" section. Many of the places I go to have a section of the menu that's devoted to this and often list the WW points too. Others use a symbol or something next to each menu offering to highlight the healthier options.

Try eating an appetizer as your main meal or ask for a half portion/lunch sized portion of whatever it is you want to order. I don't know that all restaurants will do this, but it's worth asking for. If you're like me I always feel guilty about spending money on food I don't eat. If there's less of it to begin with I don't feel so bad about cleaning my plate.

Just make smarter/better choices. For instance, instead of going for a big steak and baked potato with all the trimmings, maybe go for a wrap with steamed veggies or a side salad or something.