eating right, exercising...and little to no weight loss?

Options
So I started insanity this week. I have been continually eating right, drinking water...etc.. Not gonna lie, I am a bigger guy...and this week I lost .2 lbs. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this phenomenon? And/or is there a way to check ones metabolism or verify a possible overactive thyroid?

need some help and encouragement. Encouragement through the discouragement.

Insanity should be working right? I am sore as hell.

Replies

• nikiwoofter
    Options
    doctor can do blood test to check thyroid. i think it is too soon to say your not loosing w/ insanity. keep it up. sadly loosing is a slow and steady process where as gaining is quick. but the good news is that slow and steady usually means u keep it off longer.
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It could also mean that your muscles and increased....muscle weighs more than fat and it could be that you didn't weigh yourself the same as last time...just because you didn't lose any weight doesn't mean you haven't changed your body in some way...I haven't lost much weight but I feel sooooo much better than before, my energy is back and I feel thinner even if the scale doesn't show it... I hate the scale anyway... Good luck and Keep Going!!!
  • mrsedge1
    Options
    I did the Insanity workout program back in May before my wedding and didn't really lose much weight through out the whole thing. However I did lose fat and inches which is a lot more important, I also gained a lot of muscle.
    Give it time an i bet you start to see results. Its painful but totally worth it :)
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    One of the things to remember is as you start a new exercise program and especially Insanity, Your body holds onto water to both keep you hydrated and to repair the micro tears in your muscles. Keep with it and make sure you eat some protein within 30 mins of finishing exercising to help rebuild the muscles.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to not start exercising immediately not because I'm too out of shape, but because exercise increases cortisol levels, which causes weight gain. That can discourage people and they stop before even starting. I got her to confirm that it was safe for me to exercise and started anyways. But, I don't let any bump in weight loss bother me. I weigh daily but ignore the scale mostly (I try to use it to determine if I'm drinking enough water). I only record weight weekly, and I know it can go up and down from week to week, but I'm looking for an overall downward trend.

Basically, be patient and keep doing what you're doing. You're in it for the long haul.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    You are holding water or most likely miss counting your calories. A thyroid condition can only account for up to 10 pounds of weight gain which people get deluded into thinking it is to blame.

Infact one study found that every obese woman in the group on thyroid medication was under reporting her eating by 50% and over estimating her calorie burn by 50%. i have tried myself to think i was a special case and it was not my fault but in the end i was overeating.

Option 1 Get a food scale and measure everything

Option 2 Wait a few weeks and see if water weight drops off. if nt refer to option 1

If in the end you end up in below 1% that have trouble losing after dieting perfectly for months then see a doctor. But i would bet all my money if you keep at it the weight will drop off.

Being new to exercise will also cause you to hold water.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It could also mean that your muscles and increased....muscle weighs more than fat and it could be that you didn't weigh yourself the same as last time...just because you didn't lose any weight doesn't mean you haven't changed your body in some way...I haven't lost much weight but I feel sooooo much better than before, my energy is back and I feel thinner even if the scale doesn't show it... I hate the scale anyway... Good luck and Keep Going!!!

Correction: muscle does not weigh more then fat unless your comparing 2lbs muscle to 1lb fat.... 1lb of feathers is the same as 1lb of bricks... bricks are just more dense thus taking up less space. Consider your muscles as bricks and your fat as feathers...

Also, weight loss is not static. Your hard work WILL pay off, just keep it up. Who knows, maybe next week you will be down 2-3lbs just like that.
  • improvninja
    improvninja Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did the Insanity workout program back in May before my wedding and didn't really lose much weight through out the whole thing. However I did lose fat and inches which is a lot more important, I also gained a lot of muscle.
    Give it time an i bet you start to see results. Its painful but totally worth it :)

Awesome, thank you
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are retaining water. Keep it up, log everything, and be patient. :)
  • alicedaisysquires
    Options
    hii.. keep up the hard work! its what happens sometimes you have weeks where you loose from 5 - 10 (<good week) and then you have a few that are 2 pounds! skerioustly its nothing to be down... its a bit like a test you will pick up over the next couple of weeks ushally when you don't loose that much its you body adapting to its new lifestyle and diet and once the first month or so is over and your tummy starts to shrink its a hell of a lot easier...

hope this helps,
    alice x
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so we can comment!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I focused right in on the "eating right" comment. That's eating right, based off of your definition. I'd encourage you get yourself a food scale, and log as accurately as you can while making your diary available for others to see and make suggestions.

Another thing to take into account is the amount of sodium/potassium & water intake, and activity level. Different combinations can cause significant differences in your scale weight. If you are expending more than you are consuming, you will lose weight, especially for someone like yourself who is just starting out and has a lot to lose.
  • Alford96
    Options
    I agree with the "you're probably building muscle and holding water" comments but I would suggest to you that you measure yourself now. Then periodically thereafter. I measure my waist, hips, thighs when I'm in a plateau and i have found so far that my inch measurements are ALWAYS down even if the scale's not moving much. Muscle is much denser than fat so as you build muscle, you will get smaller, even though the scale may not move much. Good luck with Insanity-I haven't been brave enough to try it yet! :tongue:
  • mrsedge1
    Options
    Let me know how you get on.
  • mcgraw0204
    Options
    Patience, it doesn't happen overnight. Your body will hold water, and do all sorts of strange things when you change your habits. My advice, hide the scale and only weigh in once every 10 weeks or so. Weighing in weekly can be discouraging, and often cause people to want to quit. Keep going, eating right and it WILL pay off. Understanding that this needs to be a life long change will be key to your success, change your mindset from wanting to lose pounds, to wanting to be FIT and good things will happen. (FYI I am speaking from experience, coming from 290 lbs and about 30% bodyfat down to 245lbs and 13% bodyfat, its taken me 2 1/2 years)
  • improvninja
    Options
    I focused right in on the "eating right" comment. That's eating right, based off of your definition. I'd encourage you get yourself a food scale, and log as accurately as you can while making your diary available for others to see and make suggestions.

Another thing to take into account is the amount of sodium/potassium & water intake, and activity level. Different combinations can cause significant differences in your scale weight. If you are expending more than you are consuming, you will lose weight, especially for someone like yourself who is just starting out and has a lot to lose.

I opened my food diary. I would say prob 90% is good, and I usually do use a food scale. But my diary is open for all to see. :)
  • improvninja
    Options
    I also have been going at exercise since December 1st...so...six weeks now? So I guess it isn't extremely new as I started insanity this week. Just had more results the other weeks with 30 min cardio and weightlifting at the gym.
  • improvninja
    Options
    Open your food diary so we can comment!

I opened my diary. any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Took 1 month of Insanity for me to have the scale start to move.. The second month it moved nicely.. Don't expect pounds dropping immediately. Plus I don't think your eating enough, try to stay close to the nutrition guide, I know it sounds counterproductive to eat more.. but Insanity is a crazy calorie burning program.. not eating enough can stall you... Bit more protein too.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    hmmm i'm in the same boat..... i started INSANITY this week as well... have been eating welll and maintaining my caloria goals, exercising for the past 10 days and nothing, not an ounce lost... hmmm idk, and im at 174.6 lbs