The Microwave: Friend or Foe?

Options
13»

Replies

• Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wait, they told you to be careful of walking by the microwave, not eating from it?
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, it's now called a "death box."
  • JDAlder
    JDAlder Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Only thing bad that I've heard from the microwave is the fact that it zaps nutrients :/
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them because of them being "dangerous", I avoid them because they make food taste like crap.

Then you need to clean your microwave. They don't make food taste like anything. They simply heat the stuff up.

My microwave is clean.
    What I mean by "they make it taste like crap" is the texture, sorry I should have worded that different. Leftovers like casseroles or pizza get that nice crisp to them when you heat them up in the oven/ toaster-oven, in my opinion anyways, i'm sure other people don't care.

I agree. I was thinking about getting rid of mine becaus I just don't use it. I use the toaster oven and my regular stove/oven all the time. I don't like the way my microwave heats up food. It's weird and inconsistent and burns in the wrong places at the wrong times. And the defrost function is just bizarre...cooks half, and leaves the other half raw. No thanks.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I wonder what is worse. The convenience of reheating last nights' leftovers in the microwave or driving thru McDonald's for dinner tonight.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    The microwave and I are BFFs.

Yep. My death-ray-box is my BFF.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    well I have been using a micro wave for various foods for over 30 years. I am still healthy. The only thing I do is try to avoid heating in plastic (though I am not able to do so 100%). So - like any tool, safe is used correctly is my vote,.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I wonder what is worse. The convenience of reheating last nights' leftovers in the microwave or driving thru McDonald's for dinner tonight.

Given that choice, I'd rather microwave the leftovers. But, what I'm saying, is my preference is to reheat using toaster oven, or traditional stove/oven. It just seems to heat better, IMO.