Tips on reducing wine consumption?

Options

Replies

• Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Stop buying it! If it's not there you won't drink it. If you are out to dinner, order ice tea!
    ^^^^^
    THIS
    Stop cold turkey for just 12 months, then re-evaluate the situation.
    Good Luck!
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    Just keep losing body fat and suddenly you'll become a very cheap date. You may even acquire the rare talent of determining your body fat percentage based on the total ounces of vino you must consume in order to at least get a nice buzz going. :bigsmile:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Like others said, just stop. You'll find that you really didn't need it and it was a waste of time and money.

I used to think that when people told me, if you can stop anytime, then stop, and I'd think, I can, I just don't want to. That really wasn't true. Stopping was very difficult. I would say it was harder than stopping smoking. This means there's some attachment there, maybe addiction. Now, that I'm clean, I had a few drinks Christmas Eve, after being sober 6 months, and hated the way I felt. Now, I really just don't care for alcohol and can't believe how I used to drink.

I'm not here to tell anyone what to do, but seriously, if you think you can't stop, even for a few weeks, you do have a problem.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner. I have cut it out to weekends only.

Karen
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I LOVE my wine. And it only got worse after a trip to France in September where we were drinking probably 1-2 bottles/day. Since I've been home, I've added wine to my nightly routine, and I did develop a nice little wine belly. In the past month, I still allow myself to have it about 4 nights per week, but I only drink it out of exercise calories. I actually made a sign to remind me (5 miles= 1 bottle of wine) and work from that equation on how to moderate my intake. Best of luck!
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Suggestions:
    Spend twice as much per bottle by buying better wine and then drink half as much.

Enjoy wine as a treat rather than as a part of a daily routine.

Volunteer to drive when you go out (and don't drink of course!).

Set aside some "dry" days in your week. (Go for a walk instead?)

This .

I only buy nice wine now - and appreciate the taste. I could happily drink every night, but i feel better in myself if I limit it to one or at most two per week.

In lieu of wine I sometimes have a nice wineglass full of diet tonic or dry ginger. It feels like am having a 'proper' drink as it is in a posh glass.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Oh, and calorie wise -- I try to imagine a glass full of pasta.

You wouldn't eat dinner and then go out for more pasta would you? That idea helps me anyway.
  • resamarieh
    Options
    I also love wine. Just because you have some every night does necessarily make you an alcoholic. Of course, if it's affecting other things in life...then maybe worry. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with it!

The calorie bit though...ugh yeah. I like everyone's idea of putting some kind of diet soda with it. That way you still get the taste of it, but aren't hating on all the calories the next morning lol.

Also, I hope your husband finds a job soon! What a stressful time!
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I love wine too.
    I don't have it daily but when I do have it, I fit it in (except for the sugars usually)
    And I only have a 6 oz. glass.

Oh and log it in ahead of time, plan your day out and make sure you have room for it. Only using your exercise calories, as others have said, is a great idea.

Moderation is key!
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    "Drunkorexia".

Wow, I do that a lot but never thought about it in those terms.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    A little wine is good for you. Actually I have heard a good red wine everyday is great for your heart. That being said, if you feel the need to learn how to 'quit' drinking wine like you would quit smoking cigarettes you may want to speak to a professional about that.
  • joanneaugust
    joanneaugust Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive replies but never realized people were so mean and negative on this web site! Will make sure I never post again to avoid all the haters! Joanne
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    COLD TURKEY!!!!

I quit booze over 15 years ago. (Maybe 1 -2 glasses of wine and 1 - 2 beers per year on special occasions since I "quit")

I also quit sugar loaded soft drinks a little less than 2 years ago. Like the booze, small exceptions from time to time.

I dropped both cold turkey. As a point of interest, quitting Coke was harder than quitting alcohol. I literally had the shakes on and off for about a week when I gave up Coca~Cola.

Now my main beverages are water (lots & lots), coffee (usually mornings only), tea (Chai & green), fruit juices & plain soda water.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i was always more of a whiskey drinker. but, i just go to the gym bright and early. keeps me from drinking all night knowing i gotta hit it hard in the morning. hungover deadlifts ain't fun at 430
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Start by logging every sip you drink. If you are okay with the calories then you can look at the frequency of consumption.
    The hardest part is actually keeping accurate track of what you consume. We tend not to notice how much we consume of the things we like the most hence the weight increase.
    AA is not for everyone but if you are using a physically addictive substance every night you will be addicted. That will make weight loss a little harder but still possible.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Seriously, why all the hateful comments? The lady asked a question, you don't HAVE to answer. And being nice is always the way to go!

The bummer about wine (and all alcohol ) is all the darn empty calories. Yes, it's tasty. Yes, you look so hot after having a couple of glasses. And everybody else looks amazing, too.... :) But there are still all those empty calories. I'd have to agree with a number of previous posters:

1) try to limit the number of days you drink. The bonus to this, is the alcohol effects you more as you become less used to it. :)
    2) work it into your food diary ahead of time, so you know how many calories you intend to put away. It may surprise you so much that you drink less.
    3) mix with soda

good luck to you!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    they actually coined a term for this called drunkorexia (saving cals for alcohol), and at some point I am sure the advising doctors on the DSM will include it!

she wants advice on how to cut down, if she can't just cut it out...there is a problem, and potentially addiction. don't be so shocked!

This is just making assumptions and being ridiculous. I too enjoy wine and don't want to give it up, but I'm not an alcoholic. It's simply that, something I enjoy and don't want to give up. I'm guessing you don't drink and so it's easy for you to just make a blind judgement.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    The AA comments are not funny, there is a big difference between an enjoyable habit that one does not want to give up and an actual addiction.

This, thank you.
  • joanneaugust
    joanneaugust Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks Butterfli!
    People sure get excited on this website!
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Stop buying it! If it's not there you won't drink it. If you are out to dinner, order ice tea!

^ This - It has help me with my chips addiction