Logging Exercise

Options
Can anyone tell me how to figure out how many calories were burned when adding an exercise that is NOT in MFP's database? I went to a Zumba class last night and of course that's not in the databse, so I'm sure when I start p90x tonight, I'm going to run into the same problem. Can anyone help me out with this?

Replies

• napson
    napson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I did p90x I just logged in calisthenics for the cardio and strength training for the strength. I think it was a good estimation. It may not be the best but I still lost over 20 pounds logging that way. good luck.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    From Help at the top of every page - here's the answer:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/330-my-favorite-exercise-is-not-in-the-database
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

Some people use this website to figure out Zumba.

I google the activity and add calorie counter to it: (zumba calorie counter). This usually gets me to where I can find activities not on MFP. Hope this helps.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You have to learn to break things down to what they are. Every exercise program can't be in the database so what is Zumba? It's dancing. Never done P90X but break it down to whatever it is. Most general activities are in the database.
  • cats121
    cats121 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you google "zumba calories burned calculator" you'll find a bunch of sites that will give you ballpark numbers. But, they are all the same kind of formula, weight, intensity level and number of minutes. I tend to do a combination of the intensity level - maybe 40 minutes medium and 20 minutes high or whatever combination fits what you think your intesity was at. I wear a heart rate monitor when I workout, including doing Zumba, and when I first started Zumba (and was 30 pounds heavier), I would burn 500-550 calories. Now I burn around 425-460. For me, I like wearing the monitor because it's a good reminder of how hard I'm really working in a class since I can see how many calories I'm burning - keeps me honest because sometimes I'm not working as hard as I could. And, when you get closer to your goal weight you burn less calories which is kinda of a bummer!!
  • shelbygirl444
    shelbygirl444 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For P90X - I just log it as aerobics & then also add the individual exercises I'm doing under strength.
    For Zumba - I'd log it as dancing. I've done zumba before & I think that's going to be a pretty accurate estimate.

Keep in mind, it's all estimates.
  • lilreddress
    lilreddress Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I was able to google it and get an average. I saw that people burned from a range of 128 to 1,088 calories so I went with the very average 400 caloreis lol. Zumba, I did log as Dancing ... I plan on eventually getting a HRM, but for now, this will work :) Thanks again