whole grain vs whole wheat

I am still confused when I am shopping for healthier breads and pasta Please explain to me what I should be looking for on the label. Is Semolina OK? What if it says whole grain durum wheat flour, semolina, durum wheat flour, oat fiber? So confused?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    get ezekial 4.9 bread

god said it was good stuff

can't go wrong with that endoresement
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    If it doesn't specify whole it's not whole, semolina is usually refined. Do you mean all those ingredients are in the one product?
  • Chilegood
    Chilegood Posts: 3 Member
    yes, in a box of pasta.
  • Firefox7275
    Just buy wholewheat pasta, we have store own brand pastas here in the UK with one ingredient "durum wholewheat semolina" can't you? Maybe in the US it would be worded differently say "wholegrain durum wheat flour" but the theory is essentially the same.
  • get ezekial 4.9 bread

recently bought some of this bread....good stuff!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I am still confused when I am shopping for healthier breads and pasta Please explain to me what I should be looking for on the label. Is Semolina OK? What if it says whole grain durum wheat flour, semolina, durum wheat flour, oat fiber? So confused?

Bohn T, et al. Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans.

www.idpas.org/pdf/2510PhyticAcidAdded.pdf
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    get ezekial 4.9 bread

God?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,142 Member
    yes, in a box of pasta.
    You won't find whole grains in pasta. Pasta made with whole grain is a product that is designed for the health/diet industry and you certainly could choose that. Bread can have whole grain in it, and it has to say that. Most whole grain bread is pretty much highly refined grain with some whole grain added in. Personally I don't eat whole grain pasta, don't like the taste, and a long life friend owns a bakery with a wood oven and I eat all the different types he makes, with pleasure. I also probably eat twice as much veg as any 2 vegetarians. lol, just kidding, well not really, I do pack away the veg, so how much fiber is in pasta or bread is a non issue.
  • Dave198lbs
    get ezekial 4.9 bread

God?

Ezekiel 4:9® products are crafted in the likeness of the Holy Scripture verse

Ezekiel 4:9® to ensure unrivaled honest nutrition and pure, delicious flavors.

"Take also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentils and millet, and spelt and put them in one vessel…" Ezekiel 4:9®
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    get ezekial 4.9 bread

God?

"Take also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentils and millet, and spelt and put them in one vessel…" Ezekiel 4:9®

After selling your daughter into slavery, you can have more for yourself!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyways, I've not had the Ezekiel bread myself, but everyone raves about it. I've never even seen it. What types of stores sell it? I've noticed that a lot of other brands of healthy breads are much more expensive, have whole grains and whole wheat, but still have things like HFCS. For now, I've stopped buying breads because I'm annoyed by their supposed healthiness, but I might give the Ezekiel a try if I can find it.
  • Dave198lbs
    get ezekial 4.9 bread

God?

Anyways, I've not had the Ezekiel bread myself, but everyone raves about it. I've never even seen it. What types of stores sell it? I've noticed that a lot of other brands of healthy breads are much more expensive, have whole grains and whole wheat, but still have things like HFCS. For now, I've stopped buying breads because I'm annoyed by their supposed healthiness, but I might give the Ezekiel a try if I can find it.

check out their website for all the info and it has a store locator

foodforlife or food for life
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Thanks, should have known Whole Foods would carry it, but it also showed me two health stores down the street from where I shop that I didn't know existed. Time to go explore... my checkbook is going to hate me.
  • Dave198lbs

Thanks, should have known Whole Foods would carry it, but it also showed me two health stores down the street from where I shop that I didn't know existed. Time to go explore... my checkbook is going to hate me.

the ezekial cinnamon raisin bread is awesome
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    agree that Ezekiel bread rocks.

also, as Americans, we already get a LOT of wheat in our diet (some would argue too much), so another thing to try is to buy whole grain pastas made from other grains if available near u (ex: brown rice pasta, mung bean noodles, etc etc) always looking for whole and unrefined.

generally, my carbs are mostly: brown rice, wild rice, wheat berries (intact grain), millet, quioa, some ezekiel bread, keeping whole wheat pasta to only about once or twice a month. works for me, but everyone is different.

do u have a whole foods near u? pricey, but grains in bulk there is actually not too bad!
  • We LOVE Ezekiel products... The raisin bread is definitely my favorite. You can get tortillas, pasta, muffins, bread, pita, hot dog and hamburger buns... they make all kinds of stuff. The texture is definitely hardier than what some people are used to (As a foodie, I prefer it), but they are a lot more filling and have a lot more flavor.
  • get ezekial 4.9 bread

God?

I bought mine at a big box store in Ohio called Meijer. It's like a wal mart. They keep it in the frozen food section with the Amy's meals. It is expensive, around $5 a loaf. It lasts me a long time considering I only use it for toast. It stays fresh in the refrigerator.
  • Firefox7275
    You won't find whole grains in pasta. Pasta made with whole grain is a product that is designed for the health/diet industry and you certainly could choose that. Bread can have whole grain in it, and it has to say that. Most whole grain bread is pretty much highly refined grain with some whole grain added in. Personally I don't eat whole grain pasta, don't like the taste, and a long life friend owns a bakery with a wood oven and I eat all the different types he makes, with pleasure. I also probably eat twice as much veg as any 2 vegetarians. lol, just kidding, well not really, I do pack away the veg, so how much fiber is in pasta or bread is a non issue.

Erm, bread pasta and noodles were invented before white flour AFAIK so I don't see how the wholegrain versions were designed for the health or diet industry!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Whole grains are grains that have not had the bran and germ removed. Whole wheat is one type of whole grain. What makes these better than non-whole grain products is fiber, which aids digestion and can eliminate the blood glucose rush sometimes caused when eating processed grains.

When looking for whole grain products look for those that say 100% whole grain or have a whole grain listed as the first ingredient. Another good rule of thumb is look for at least 5 grams of fiber per serving. Some pastas will use non-whole grain flour, then add fiber or non-grain ingredients with fiber so the first ingredient may be semolina, which is generally not whole grain. It's really the amount of fiber per serviing that makes the most difference.

Also, what you eat with the grain plays into the amount of fiber per serving of the recipe.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,142 Member

Erm, bread pasta and noodles were invented before white flour AFAIK so I don't see how the wholegrain versions were designed for the health or diet industry!
    I was only referencing pasta and not bread in regards to whole grain. Pasta in the context of the North American Palette and that's basically what I was referring to, is synonymous with Italian food and noodles like spaghetti, linguini, fettuccine, penne, rigatoni etc, which have always come from Italy in package form or made similarly here have not changed for decades. In that context pasta is only made from durum semolina which is a hard wheat, high in gluten and protein and have been produced this way for many, many centuries, and in Italy it's a controlled product, basically it's a protected procedure that can not be deviated from, durum wheat and water, period.

Whole wheat pasta has become popular over the last decade or so mostly from the belief that there's a big difference between whole wheat and durum semolina, which there really isn't, a little fiber, but again this type of marketing is geared to supply that demographic, who believe it's a better pasta. Not going to find many Italians eating whole wheat, simply because it can't be legally made that way, unless they call it something else. And with single digit obesity in Italy why would they care. My personal view is that regardless of the use of whole grain, it is ground down to a fine enough flour to make it work properly, otherwise it wouldn't hold together and have acceptable palatable qualities of regular pasta, so basically where is the health benefits of whole grain, even then some find it unappealing, referring to it as cardboard. Personally add vegetable fiber and other great flavors and eat the real deal, but then again I'm a chef and have a biased view of this topic.
  • Firefox7275
    I was only referencing pasta and not bread in regards to whole grain. Pasta in the context of the North American Palette and that's basically what I was referring to, is synonymous with Italian food and noodles like spaghetti, linguini, fettuccine, penne, rigatoni etc, which have always come from Italy in package form or made similarly here have not changed for decades. In that context pasta is only made from durum semolina which is a hard wheat, high in gluten and protein and have been produced this way for many, many centuries, and in Italy it's a controlled product, basically it's a protected procedure that can not be deviated from, durum wheat and water, period.

Whole wheat pasta has become popular over the last decade or so mostly from the belief that there's a big difference between whole wheat and durum semolina, which there really isn't, a little fiber, but again this type of marketing is geared to supply that demographic, who believe it's a better pasta. Not going to find many Italians eating whole wheat, simply because it can't be legally made that way, unless they call it something else. And with single digit obesity in Italy why would they care. My personal view is that regardless of the use of whole grain, it is ground down to a fine enough flour to make it work properly, otherwise it wouldn't hold together and have acceptable palatable qualities of regular pasta, so basically where is the health benefits of whole grain, even then some find it unappealing, referring to it as cardboard. Personally add vegetable fiber and other great flavors and eat the real deal, but then again I'm a chef and have a biased view of this topic.

You said "Pasta made with whole grain is a product that is designed for the health/diet industry." This is patently misleading and not the same at all as referencing popularity or marketing techniques.

Thanks but I know what durum wheat is. Are you sure your wholewheat pasta is not simply made from wholegrain durum semolina instead of refined durum semolina? Much of ours is, I just double checked a good few versions on two supermarket websites (Tesco and Asda which is Walmart family). Furthermore the OP clearly referenced wholegrain durum wheat flour!

Where are the health benefits? In the minerals as well as the fibre! Please don't pontificate on nutrition if you know nothing about it, if you have an objection on palatability grounds, be clear on that don't try to prevent westerners consuming minerals they desperately need. Adding vegetable fibre and vegetables does not make up for all the missing micronutrients. Agree some shapes are cardboardy but they are not all.