At what point might you stop seeing results?

Options
I have been losing weight with MFP since February 2012. I lost 63 pounds logging and doing cardio exercise. I started at 1200 calories and always ate back the majority of exercise calories (which usually meant I was eating 1400-1800).

In November I added strength training to my workouts and upped my daily calories to 1800 (I do not eat back exercise calories now). I lift 6 days per week with 3 rotations so my muscles get a break to repair. I do chest/tri's, back/bi's, and legs/shoulders. I lift as heavy as I can for me and have added weight slowly but surely to the bar and barbells. I also do between 30-45 minutes of cardio because for me it relieves stress and I am training for a half marathon in April. I have taken my measurements each month and weigh myself each week with a scale that measures body fat.

Let me say that I am thrilled with the way that I look. I am the smallest that I have been since high school and I have no reason to "complain", but I must admit that it is frustrating to me that I have gained 3 pounds back since starting this new routine. My measurements have stayed the same in terms of inches and body fat. I did run my fastest time last weekend as well. :-)

My question to those who are wiser than I....is there a point where you can no longer "measure" results quantitatively? Meaning could I have no more inches to lose? Jean sizes to drop? Body fat to lose?

I am 42 years old weigh 132, 5'6"
Bust 35
Waist 27
Hips 35
Body Fat 18.8%
Size 2

I know that there are many women that love lifting (I am one of them and I am not suggesting that I want to stop). I would just like to know if you reached a point where you just ditched the scale and did your workouts and kept a smile on your face.

Replies

• LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    First - a huge congrats on your transformation and new lifestyle! So impressive! I find myself in a very similar place! I'm 5' 10 - 142 lbs. 36-27-36 - size 2-4. I'm almost through two months of JM Body Revolution and have gained 2 lbs! Thing is - there comes a point where you really can't lose anymore weight (without becoming unhealthy anyway). I've really had to shift my focus from pounds and inches to just improving my fitness level and that has happened! It feels so good to be able to do routines that a few short months ago would have been impossible! It might even feel better than losing an lb.!

Enjoy the progress you are making in your routines. I could also see many half marathons in your future where you're always trying to best yourself! LOL. Make getting stronger, fitter and faster your new goals! You'll be bench pressing your new husband in no time! :laugh:
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have a lot in common with you!

I ate at a deficit and exercised out until I reached measurements of 32-25-33. I'm guesstimating my bodyfat to be around 21.5% (averaged Military, Covert Baily, and Fat2Fit radio calculators). Five workout days/week with at least 4 days lifting; otherwise sedentary life. I eat about 1400-1600 cals/day.

I'm also seeing weight fluctuations of 3 lbs, with measurement remaining the same. I know it's probably from muscle gain (my max is also going up) and fluid weight, so I try not to get frustrated over the scale. I do think that's my limit, and won't change without cutting a LOT of calories (which I won't do).

Right now my form of measurements/check is the tape and a slim-fitting cocktail dress :drinker:
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I'm thinking around this time of year that many on the boards are focused on weight loss as a goal (I'm not knocking any New Year's resolutions-we all started at some point), but I'd like to connect with people who are in a similar place and have less number-related goals.

I know in my heart that I need to just pick a fitness-related goal to focus on (adding more weight/getting a faster time, etc)., but it's so hard to take that focus off the scale and measuring tape because it was my focus and means of feedback for so long. Good to know that others have found their way to happiness with other goals.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    And remember the number on the scale is just that, a number. If you look good, feel good, thats all the matters. Congratulations on a job well done.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I know in my heart that I need to just pick a fitness-related goal to focus on (adding more weight/getting a faster time, etc)., but it's so hard to take that focus off the scale and measuring tape because it was my focus and means of feedback for so long. Good to know that others have found their way to happiness with other goals.

You got it!! Just pick a different fitness related goal. And so what if you want to step on the scale or bust out the measuring tape, nothing wrong with that either! Well done!! :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    x
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The best measuring stick for progress is the mirror, not the scale. You're doing resistance training and are gaining lean mass, it sounds to me like you ARE seeing results to me. Gaining lean mass IS progress just as loosing fat is.

Did you try measuring your thighs, arms, etc? They might be getting bigger.

EDIT: Have you thought about doing a fitness competition? After lifting for so many years this is how I stay motivated to keep making progress.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    At your measurements and BF%, I'd ditch the scale if it's going to get you down. You're obviously in great shape, so the number on the scale is utterly irrelevant.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Agree with Lea. Additionally, maybe it's time to take all that strength and training out of the gym and test it in the real world. Do a Spartan race or a Tough Mudder or something. Watch yourself do something amazing.
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I understand what your saying as well! I have met my weight loss goal and felt lost for a few weeks, I would stand on the scale and see the same numbers weekly. I have now shifted my focus to my endurance and becoming more lean. I agree with 1ConcreateGirl - try a Spartan or Tough Mudder those are ideas I have been tossing around myself. BTW Congratulations on meeting you weight loss goals!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

My question to those who are wiser than I....is there a point where you can no longer "measure" results quantitatively? Meaning could I have no more inches to lose? Jean sizes to drop? Body fat to lose?

At that point you "measure" inches gained, speed run, miles run, weight lifted, etc......
    You stop seeing results when you stop putting in work.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you stop seeing results when you become too efficient at the exercises you are doing. If you are no longer challenging your body, you are no longer going to see the same kind of results as if you were.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    and also, if you just mean physical changes- never. It may shift to a different area of your body, or a different kind of visible change, but once you reach your preferred body fat % - you wont be racking up big numbers for inches lost anymore- but you might gain on your biceps, or your butt (in a great way).

hth.
  • JBenfer1980
    JBenfer1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Two possible things could be at play here. 1 being, you have hit your ceiling for which is easy solved by muscle confusion. Your already have a great routine that obviously given some great thought with setup, in other words you know what your doing or someone has helped you to iso. Muscle confusion can be done by many ways. You can rotate a burn out day every 4 weeks. But like anything we put into our body and do to our body, it adjusts. Once it adjusts you will hit a ceiling.
    Another issue since only you know what your figure looks like truely, muscle does out weight fat. The more body fat you drop and muscle you gain there is going to come a time where you will see weight fluctuations when you hit a real low body fat threshold versus the amount of hard work you put in that adds muscle. Also watch how heavy you Protein load. Make sure it’s what you need or want. You obviously track yourself really well, 132 @ 5’6” is a perfect range for a health female. Personally if I were in your shoes I would work with muscle confusion. Change up your routine.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    Two possible things could be at play here. 1 being, you have hit your ceiling for which is easy solved by muscle confusion. Your already have a great routine that obviously given some great thought with setup, in other words you know what your doing or someone has helped you to iso. Muscle confusion can be done by many ways. You can rotate a burn out day every 4 weeks. But like anything we put into our body and do to our body, it adjusts. Once it adjusts you will hit a ceiling.
    Another issue since only you know what your figure looks like truely, muscle does out weight fat. The more body fat you drop and muscle you gain there is going to come a time where you will see weight fluctuations when you hit a real low body fat threshold versus the amount of hard work you put in that adds muscle. Also watch how heavy you Protein load. Make sure it’s what you need or want. You obviously track yourself really well, 132 @ 5’6” is a perfect range for a health female. Personally if I were in your shoes I would work with muscle confusion. Change up your routine.

This thread is six years old.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options

Not only is the thread 6 years old (OP probably has solved the problem, and hasn't posted since April 2018) but "muscle confusion" is really not a thing.

Changes in strength training program may be needed at various times in order to continue to progress, in the sense that certain programs can be tailored to particular circumstances that one "grows out of". So, people progress from beginner programs to intermediate or advanced, incorporate de-loads as needed, etc.

But "muscle confusion" seems to be a phrase that joints like Beachbody use to keep people buying new programs or equipment. It's neither descriptive nor helpful, IMO.