Running Extras??

Options
For long distances...

What do you carry for water... a belt, a backpack?? Anything else for re-hydration?
--I'm not currently carrying anything but think I really should.

What gels do you use?
--I have been using GU - makes me gag every once in a while.

Clothing? Shoes?

Anything else I should be thinking about for race day?

(Besides a cupcake, Jess?!) haha!

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    YOU HAVEN'T BEEN CARRYING WATER???!!!! Not smart! :grumble: LOL! Anything past 45 minutes you should have water, I carry the nathan sprint water bottle (its hand held and very small)... I also carry sport jelly beans. Sometimes I feel like I need more, today I really felt like I needed more fuel, its good to have some type of sports drink if you can, I like to do my long runs at home usually with my mom cause my dad comes on his bike tag teams between us cause I don't stay with her... and carries our water and food, thats ideal if you have someone that can help like that! GU is kinda gross to me, I also like the cliff shot blocks... clothing is whatever I have on! I love the nike running shorts and I wear wicking material shirts, usually tanks actually, I have mostly nike stuff and a few other random brands like asics, brooks, ect... I like the shirts with the built in bra so i don't have to wear one (I know most can't get away with this but I easily can haha) I love passing on my running knowledge to you! Not that I'm an expert, although I have tried almost every brand of running shoes! I'm loving the nike lunarglides though. Let me know how your 17 miles go....

~Leash :heart:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Oh and race day is a whole other thing, I can't type all that right now, ask me when you get closer :smile:

~Leash :heart:
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I just started carrying water on my long runs of 8-10 miles because it's warming up outside, and while I'm not crazy about carrying it, it's helped! I have the amphipod 12 oz handheld which is easy to carry but not enough water for me, so next time I'm going to bring a couple bucks and buy a water to refill halfway through the run. I also use Cliff gel every 45 min to an hour. It tastes pretty good and is all natural and like 70% organic, which was the seller for me!

As for shoes I just bought what the amazing people at my local running store told me I needed after watching me run and it's made a great difference! Good luck!!!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I carry a nathan belt in training over 5 miles. Gu over 6-7. In training I walk for a few seconds every two miles to drink water (when I'm doing more than 5-6 miles) and Gu every 4 miles. I like to stay ahead of the crash and burn curve. Gu is best cold in my opinion. I love running in the 50's.

I WILL NOT carry water during my next marathon. This is the ONLY thing that is different for me on race day. With water stops every mile or two, there is no reason. I finished my first marathon with full water bottles.

For races (long) I wear one of those skirts that has the shorts underneath, a bra designed for runners, a sweat wicking t-shirt, a running, sweat wicking jacket, ankle socks designed for runners, and brooks shoes with stability inserts.

I have one hat that I only wear for running and always wear it, and cheap polarized sunglasses just for running. I bring my phone and turn on the GPS for my husband to see me, and wear my garmin watch/hrm. I load pace music onto my mp3 player, crank it up and go!
    One extra recommendation-bring about 10 bandaids. They help for where you chafe/bleed/blister. And be sure to lube your nipples, body glide is your best friend. I lube my toes, my arms, under my hrm, my nipples, my chubby chafe, my underwear lines, under my belt, under my bra straps between my breasts. EVERYWHERE.
  • JessicaFB
    JessicaFB Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For long distances...

What do you carry for water... a belt, a backpack?? Anything else for re-hydration?
    --I'm not currently carrying anything but think I really should.

What gels do you use?
    --I have been using GU - makes me gag every once in a while.

Clothing? Shoes?

Anything else I should be thinking about for race day?

(Besides a cupcake, Jess?!) haha!

Lol! I only have cupcakes the day before and sometimes a mini one during an ultra!!

Water: I carry a handheld water bottle (Nathan brand or ultimate direction) and fill it with water. I either run giant loops where I can refill with water at my car or run courses that have water stops available (coffee shops, water fountains, gas stations, grocery stores, etc.). I also plan water stops at possible bathroom locations. Important note: I switch the hand I'm carrying the bottle every mile, so one arm doesn't get over-used.

Packs: I wear a Nathan vest for longer distances to stash my fuel, meds, $, etc. Here's the link to the one I have and love. They also have a hydration pack in the same style. I use that for ultras where there aren't frequent water stops.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Lightweight-Race-Pocket-Light/dp/B000RIAVEK

Fuel: Still working on that. I used to use gu, then used clif shot blocks. After a couple of years with the shot blocks, my stomach said NO MORE! I am now experimenting with a variety of things. I have honey bee stingers (the gummies), hammer gels and sharkies. I'll use them in my 50K this weekend and let you know how they do.

Shoes: Lots of trial and error in my early marathoning days. It really depends on your foot type and whether or not you pronate. I'm an over-pronator with very low arches. I have custom orthotics for my feet. I wear either asics kayano or brooks adrenaline. I also wear newtons for speedwork only.

I hope this helps!
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm cheap...I have a snap on belt that holds pouches for my camera lenses
    that goes around my waist.

I just use that and put my water in the pouch where my lens would normally go.

Doug
  • robyndanielle3
    robyndanielle3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been running in Brooks Glycerin shoes and using GU - which I really hate but do notice helps quite a bit.

Jess - I've never seen these: honey bee stingers (the gummies), hammer gels and sharkies. Sound better than GU though!

I bought a Nathan hand-held water bottle AND the Garmin Forerunner 310XT yesterday!!! SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Day off of running today but i'll let y'all know how it goes with my new stuff!

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • robyndanielle3
    robyndanielle3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Doug, I don't think that's cheap - that's smart!!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I litterally run around my town. A 2.4 mile loop. When I do run longer than 45 minutes I just bring a water bottle and leave it on the side of the road. When I come by I take a drink.

I guess when I start running longer distances I'll strap on the Camelback I use for Mt Biking.

Carrying stuff in my hands would really annoy me.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I bought a Nathan hand-held water bottle AND the Garmin Forerunner 310XT yesterday!!! SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Day off of running today but i'll let y'all know how it goes with my new stuff!

:heart: :heart: :heart:

I can't WAIT to hear how you do! And upload to garmin connect so we can see! Please please please!
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    Great tips, saving for later :flowerforyou:
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this - all questions I have been curious about. Thanks! :wink:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Unless its hot, I usually dont carry water on anything under 6 miles. I wear an amphipod belt and love it. The bottles dont bounce, you can add & subtract 10 or 8 oz bottles as you need.

I tried lots of the Gu flavors, settled on vanilla bean fairly quickly. I dont like the hammer gels. I'll tak a gu on anything over 8. My plan is to take one every 6 miles on really long runs. I havent bothered to keep trying other gels, since the Gu has worked for me.

Race day is a different story. No water, I'll use the stops. I plan to carry 4 Gu packs for my marathon.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    ...after reading this today I stopped at Sports Authority on my way home and stocked up for my 10 miler in 7* weather tomorrow: Powerbar Gel, caaaute little water bottle (I carry something else around my waist, so water has to go on my back or in my hand), pink tape for my plantar fasciitis, bodyglide, an awesome pink bula hat, and a SWWWEET bula face mask: http://www.bulabula.com/products/#/?catalogueId=5&categoryId=60&productId=935&modelId=5814