Weights vs. Cardio for fat loss...

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    This cut, I'm only doing my usual 5 day heavy lifting routine and eating at a 300 or so calorie deficit without cardio. So far, after two weeks, I'm pretty happy with the progress and will likely do two more cuts like this to recover a lot of the muscle mass I lost due to a self-experiment on VLCD and ruptured pectoral tendon. I want to try and preserve as much fat-free mass as possible so I'm opting for no cardio even if it takes a few more weeks to hit 7%.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    ding ding ding ding
  • sfcoach
    Options
    The big debate, cardio or weight training?
    One of the best ways is to combine them both into one exercise or one training method. An example of one exercise is the kettlebell swing, which is a 2 for 1 exercise in that it is a resistance exercise that has significant cardiovascular benefits, when done properly. The key is learning how to do this exercise the right way (unfortunately, most don't do the exercise correctly to get the maximum benefit).
    An example of a training method would be doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) which has been show to be more effective for fat loss that LSD (long, slow duration cardio).
    The bottom line is, no matter what your goals, weight training MUST be part of the program to address lean muscle building and joint health (which LSD does not do). And the impact of weight training on metabolism is a key component, as well. LSD burns calories only during the exercise while resistance exercise changes your metabolism for many hours post exercise.
    These are just some of the differences and benefits.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The answer is "both".
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is BOTH!
    I need strength training for lean body mass retention and cardio for heart health and calorie burn.
    I just can't imagine purposely leaving a hole in my fitness program.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Weights encourage muscle development; muscle that has a greater muscle to fat ratio burns more fat whilst resting (ie doing your normal thing rather then doing a cardio routine) then muscle with a greater fat to muscle ratio.

You'll also find that you get better toning with weight routines.

Don't worry about becoming 'veiny' etc. because you pick up a weight or two- you'll have to lower your body fat down to something like 7%
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Both at the same time.. DEFINITELY! If you do too much cardio and not enough weights you'll end up 'skinny fat'. Adding more muscle will make you burn more calories when you do caridio and in turn you will lose more weight.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Both together. I've done each separately and didn't really make measurable progress until I combined the two.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    This is great info guys, thanks!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You don't need cardio for fat loss, but it will help. Cardio helps with general fitness levels. It's the best way to work that muscle known as the Heart. It will also improve your endurance, and can give you better energy levels.

Weights are important to maintain lean muscle mass, or build muscle. The more muscle mass you have, the faster your metabolism, which will help you burn fat faster.

The most important aspect of fat loss is Diet, though. If you are eating in a caloric surplus, you will never lose fat. Proper nutrition will help fuel your workouts, and maintain healthy bodily functions.

I would do all 3.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    weight loss = calorie deficit
    fat loss = weight loss + muscle retention
    muscle retention = strength training* + sufficient protein intake

So if a = b = c, then... drumroll please....

fat loss = calorie deficit + strength training* + sufficient protein intake.

* strength training can be supplemented with HIIT with good results.

• charaxid
    Options
    I started with cardio, because I was SEVERELY out of shape... I couldn't run a full mile. I also did simple PE exercises I remembered from high school (jumping jacks, sit ups, crunches with my legs lifted, push ups, etc). I started this about a month ago.

After I worked up my heart and lungs to be able to run for 10 minutes, then I began with weights... started small (20lb on machines, 5lb dumbells), but continued with cardio. This portion started this past sunday.

Now that I have some strength again, I've began pilates dvds, turbo fire program, Tone It Up series, and other random work outs that I consider to be fun & non-traditional.

Sure, I will eventually plateau with my weight.... But as long as I continue to make healthy eating choices and continue to work out, my FAT percentage should continue to decrease.

In just less than one week I've gone from 38% to 35%. I started Sunday December 30! I've also lost just over 4 pounds.
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    I really recommend the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" if you're a beginner. I just started lifting weights using this book in late October, and it has really helped me a lot. It does a great job of showing how to do the exercises, and it gives you 6 months+ of detailed workouts (3x per week) to follow. It's been great for me. I agree with the other poster who said that a group weight lifting class is good. It really does help with form.

I'm now just over 2 months into it and I'm a lot stronger, and already my body fat percentage has begun to decrease. (As measured by my cheap but effective $5 plastic caliper.)

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great thred. I was just having this discussion with a colleague. I tend to do way more cardio than any strength training and I may just have to shift a little of my focus.
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Why must it be either or? Mix it up, I do cardio to improve my endurance and weights to get lean. My goal was to get back to being fit and with that you need both, plus a clean diet. Plus doing cardio or weights for 6 days a week gets boring to me I like to mix up my exercises, it keeps me more engaged and motivated. Find what works for you :)
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    skinny people look good clothed, fit people look good naked.

Do both, you'll feel better and look better.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    But should I start weights in the beginning to gain muscle when I still need to lose the fat? I feel like I should start to lose first then add in weights. Idk though, I am kind of new to this and just wondering.

if you are eating in a deficit you are not going to gain muscle weight lifting -- you will build strength and burn body fat
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    both, not one or the other.

I run, I do high intensity cardio, I do hiit training and I lift both heavy lifting and endurance lifting. I've also seen others with great results from dedicated heavy lifting and only hiit cardio.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for fat loss.

Weights for muscle retention. (We lose muscle when when diet. This is sad.)

Cardio for cardio fitness, and to help maintain calorie deficit while eating more.

This!
    I do cardio but it's only because I WANT to. Not because I HAVE to.

When I do do cardio, it's a challenge within myself. I'll tell myself I'm going to see how fast I can complete 2 miles. Each time, I try to beat my best time. Or I'll do a boot camp to see if I can stop one less time than the previous class.
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    weight training, actually has been proven to be more effective than Cardio.

but if you apply H.I.I.T either one your pushing your body to its limits regardless :)