Weightlifting for women - I'm new please help!!

Options
So I've known for a while that lifting weights is a great way to burn fat and build muscle (obviously). I've got between 10-14lbs to lose but I want to be fit not skinny so I thought I might as well start weight training. Trouble is everytime I decide I'm going to start I get disheartened as I cant lift very much and I don't know what the best kind of program to follow is (e.g. how often, how heavy, how long to lift for etc etc). I've got access to 10lb dumbells at home and a gym membership (but I would rather start in the machine rather than free weights area until I get a bit of confidence). Any help would be really appreciated!

Replies

• lisaeshenour724
    lisaeshenour724 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started out doing the machines. Just 2 sets of 12 reps on the different machines. I just started the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I am excited about learning more about lifting!
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you would prefer to start on machines? Freeweights are a much better work out :). NROLFW is supposed to be great. Having a trainer set up a program is great if in the budget. You can also find some great programs on the internet. I have found some killer strength programs on Pinterest. Bodyrock is another great option.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you can start with a combo of NROLFW and the bodyweight circuits on Nerd Fitness. Also this chick: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

BUT i gotta tell you, from a girl who can DL almost 200 pounds, but can barely shoulder press 15... its GOOD to start at 0.

When you first start you will be blown away by how fast you will be able to make progress. (WAY HARDER LATER)

when you start at nothing, you can only get better.

if you were completely efficient at your workouts... they would not change your body. Youd go in, pick the thing up 60 times and put it back, walk out and never break a sweat.

The goal is to be BAD, then get better and better and get awesome - then level up and be crap again.

its the best rewards system ever.

:heart:
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    you can start with a combo of NROLFW and the bodyweight circuits on Nerd Fitness. Also this chick: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

BUT i gotta tell you, from a girl who can DL almost 200 pounds, but can barely shoulder press 15... its GOOD to start at 0.

When you first start you will be blown away by how fast you will be able to make progress. (WAY HARDER LATER)

if you were completely efficient at your workouts... they would not change your body. Youd go in, pick the thing up 60 times and put it back, walk out and never break a sweat.

The goal is to be BAD, then get better and better and get awesome - then level up and be crap again.

Well I can't put it any better so I say...read this again...and again until it sinks in!
  • ECUPirate07
    ECUPirate07 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert but I have just started Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer program and this may be helpful for you. It's completely free and the first phase is focused on lifting. Everything is explained in detail on her site. Hope this helps!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of free weights. You'll get better results, for sure. Machines isolate muscles and don't have as much of a "body changing" effect as compound lifts with free weights. Start simple, get a book, New rules of lifting for women or stronglifts, or starting strength.

here's a link to my go to MFP gal who is absolute evidence of why free weights are way better than machines. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap
  • Beka_Elizabeth
    Options
    The only reason I'd prefer machines over free weights is because I don't really know what I'm doing, I find it hard to get my friends to come to the gym with me and the free weights section is full of men who will probably judge me for doing it wrong haha!
  • Beka_Elizabeth
    Options
    The Jamie Eason plan looks great! The thought of doing no cardio for 4 weeks though? I'd be worried that my fitness would go downhill
  • yoovie
    Options
    also - speaking from experience, if you cant do free weights yet cause your arms go all akimbo, its ok to stick with machines at first ♥
  • yoovie
    Options
    The Jamie Eason plan looks great! The thought of doing no cardio for 4 weeks though? I'd be worried that my fitness would go downhill

i remember cardio.... i should do that this weekend.
  • yoovie
    Options
    The only reason I'd prefer machines over free weights is because I don't really know what I'm doing, I find it hard to get my friends to come to the gym with me and the free weights section is full of men who will probably judge me for doing it wrong haha!

ok last quote...

im a barbie blonde former cardio bunny... I walk into the weights section and do my thing and I dont get judged, I get respect. This morning a guy threw me horns cause I was re-racking the weights properly before I started.

they like the invasion as long as you are in there to get sht done and not giggle and distract and flirt!!!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Your gym will probably give you a free training session. If not pay for a couple and tell them you just want to be shown proper technique on some basic exercises like curls, bench press, squat, deadlift.

Start with low weights and move up until you are comfortable then keep adding weight as the current weight gets easy.

Good luck!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I find the machines more intimidating than free weights. You can't get much simpler than squats, deadlifts, and bench presses. I will admit I was nervous at first though, do you have a more experienced friend you can bring with you a few times to help you with your form?
  • yoovie
    Options
    tumblr_mg43djFJ0C1qffloyo1_500.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Take it from a guy - girls/women that lift heavy are typically judged as hot, or some variation thereof. Don't worry about anyone giving you crap about your form.

Check out some videos online at www.bodybuilding.com or elsewhere to see what the forms look like. Go to the gym and find someone that's doing the lifts with the form you saw online. Ask that person - or people, if available - to help you ensure you have good form. You'll make new friends, get instant respect, and get started the right way.

Also everything yoovie said.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i kinda agree with bostonwolf. a good trainer can make a world of difference. get a trainer that is willing to teach, not just be your work out partner. and if you go and say specific goals like "teach my how to dead lift, squat, chest press, and bench press" they should. tell them you want to be able to do a few pull ups in a row in six months.

but a bad trainer can be a serious problem. so if you get a response from a trainer that goes like "well, i would show you those lifts, but do you want to get bulky/be a bodybuilder?" i'd say "i want to learn those lifts from someone willing to teach me," and then walk away.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm a reformed cardio queen, too! I used to do nothing but cardio - 6-7 times/week. I got down to my goal weight, but STILL wasn't happy with the way I looked. So I decided to try weight-lifting! :D I now lift 4X/week and do cardio 3X/week (sometimes on the same day....but I always do lifting before cardio).

Here are some tips that worked for me. (Most of which have been said before)

1) You have to start somewhere! I see people use the smaller weights (3lb., 5lb., 10lb.) and rather than think, "What a whimp!" I think, "Wow, I remember starting there! Good for her!" It warms my heart to see someone new in the weights area.

2) New Rules of Lifting for Women is a GREAT resource! Along with Nerd Fitness (mentioned before), try Bodybuilding.com.

3) I personally prefer free-weights becuase you have to engage your core more for stability. Any extra core excercises = good! :D

4) The days you increase the amount you're lifting are such AWESOME days!

BEST of luck to you, and if you have any questions, pleas feel free to PM me. :)
  • zaakystyles
    Options
    Lifting weight makes your body look athethic and not scary big. Remember that, the only way to look scary is abuse steroids.
    Compound Lifts are used to help you do an overall workout.

The big three, squats, deadlifts, and benchpress. If you find a workout that incorporate these its probably decent. Just remember form is more important than heavy weights. Study and usually gym people will help with form if they notice it horribly out of control.

I recommend Starting Strength which includes Powercleans and overhead press. This will give your body that overall "toned" look many want when they slim down. You will get gains on a linear scale but its mainly because you are training your CNS to push weight better. After 6 months you will notice the "tone" coming in.
  • Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love lifting free weights and I try to do it three times a week. The best thing I did was hire a trainer-no offense gentlemen, but I hired a female trainer who knows the frustrations that come with being a female and our body tendencies. She gave me great advice and worked out with me and guided me. It is really important that your trainer models the techniques. If even for a second you don't feel comfortable about something you should let your trainer know. I have seen too many "fitness instructors" at my gym demonstrate poor technique or are totally disengaged with their clients. I would highly recommend investing in a trainer, it is worth it to your body.
  • BadAzzBea
    BadAzzBea Posts: 461
    Options

:love: This^^