Heart rate

Options
Yesterday while I was Running on the treadmill my mother was nagging me and telling me to stop running because it's bad to keep your heart rate up for too long . She said her trainer at work told her that. I've never heard anything like that before so I just wanted to know if it's true . I only ran for thirty mins witha five min warm up and two min cool down

Replies

• eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot of factors, such as your age, target heart rate, what your heart rate reading was while on the treadmill, whether you have any medical conditions, etc.

You may find this information below to be helpful. I am no medical expert or anything like that, though. I also definitely go over 85% of my "max" heart rate when working out, mostly when I do interval workouts or when I am playing hockey, but I don't typically maintain that level for extended periods of time. On the site below, maximum heart rate is only an estimate based on your age; it can vary based on other factors as well (that's why I put max in quotes above). I hope this helps.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/exercise/pulsethr.aspx

What is target heart rate?

You gain the most benefits and lessen the risks when you exercise in your target heart rate zone. Usually this is when your exercise heart rate (pulse) is 60 to 80 percent of your maximum heart rate. In some cases, your health care provider may decrease your target heart rate zone to begin with 50 percent.

It is not recommended to exercise above 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. Intensity at that level increases both cardiovascular and orthopedic risk with minimal, additional health-related benefit from the exercise.

Always check with your health care provider before starting an exercise program. Your health care provider can help you find a program and target heart rate zone that matches your needs, goals and physical condition.

When beginning an exercise program, you may need to gradually build up to a level that is within your target heart rate zone, especially if you have not exercised regularly before. If the exercise feels too hard, slow down. You will reduce your risk of injury and enjoy the exercise more if you don't try to over-do it!

To find out if your are exercising in your target zone (between 60 and 80 percent of your maximum heart rate), stop exercising and check your 10-second pulse. If your pulse is below your target zone, increase your rate of exercise. If your pulse is above your target zone, decrease your rate of exercise.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your mother didn't mean blood pressure? BP can be bad to keep up for long periods.

Here's a good link about blood pressure and heart rate: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/HI00024

From the above link: "The American Heart Association recommends you get at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise, 75 minutes of vigorous exercise or a combination of both each week. Aim for at least 30 minutes of aerobic activity most days of the week."

And 'aerobic exercise' is, by definition, any physical activity that increases heart rate and breathing rate. Getting your heart rate up is GOOD for you. :)
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    NO she is wrong. Healthy athletes regularly keep their heart rate in the high end of the aerobic zone for 4+ hours
  • doyewole
    Options
    NO she is wrong. Healthy athletes regularly keep their heart rate in the high end of the aerobic zone for 4+ hours

See that's what I thought about when she told me that
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    If she could see your heart rate displayed she might well get worried as maximum heart rate (as well as various zones) decrease with age. When I train if I'm hitting 172 bpm I'm pushing like crazy up in zone 6, my 14 year old at the same heart rate is comfortably in zone 4 and could keep going for hours.

Need more info but unless you've got medical problems I'd say you were pretty safe, if you could run for 30 mins then your heart rate is unlikely to be up above zone 4 for long (unless you're super fit).
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Yesterday while I was Running on the treadmill my mother was nagging me and telling me to stop running because it's bad to keep your heart rate up for too long . She said her trainer at work told her that. I've never heard anything like that before so I just wanted to know if it's true . I only ran for thirty mins witha five min warm up and two min cool down

I fell like people say this stuff, put it on the news, etc as an excuse, a way out of doing something hard. Oh, running is bad for your heart/knees/nose/etc ad nauseum. Same thing with squats. Oh idw to hurt my knees. Whatever.

Running had been shown to lengthen your life. Among other things, this is pretty spectacular "For women, running can actually help to lower your risk of breast cancer. It can also help reduce the risk of having a stroke. Many doctors today recommend running for people who are in the early stages of diabetes, high blood pressure, and osteoporosis, and it is proven to help reduce the risk of having a heart attack. By helping the arteries retain their elasticity and strengthening the heart, your chances of suffering a heart attack can be significantly reduced."

When I started running again my step dad said "that's bad for your knees" and I thought "Maybe bad for YOUR knees" He is obese. I am not.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Was she thinking you were running fast enough to be in ANaerobic state?

Aerobic is using oxygen -- exercise that improves the efficiency of the body's cardiovascular system in absorbing and transporting oxygen.

ANaerobic is NOT using oxygen -- exercise that does not improve or is not intended to improve the efficiency of the body's cardiovascular system... (this is what you are using that last 1/8 - 1/4 mile when you are sprinting to the finish. It is okay to incorporate anaerobic bursts into your aerobic activity but most people do not and cannot sustain anaerobic activity for very long.

Unless you have some illness or disease that has rendered your heart unhealthy, have been told by a doctor you may not exercise...you should be fine. I doubt you are running at > 85% of your max heart rate for 30 minutes....it is not sustainable unless you are a top performing athlete.
  • doyewole
    Options
    If she could see your heart rate displayed she might well get worried as maximum heart rate (as well as various zones) decrease with age. When I train if I'm hitting 172 bpm I'm pushing like crazy up in zone 6, my 14 year old at the same heart rate is comfortably in zone 4 and could keep going for hours.

Need more info but unless you've got medical problems I'd say you were pretty safe, if you could run for 30 mins then your heart rate is unlikely to be up above zone 4 for long (unless you're super fit).

I'm 19 no medical issues and our treadmill doesn't display the heart rate , also been a student athlete most of my life