Options
    the perfect breakfast for me is
    a sunny side up eggs on toast with fruit :D

protien, carb, fiber

♥M
  • nwon87
    nwon87 Posts: 29
    Options
    The perfect breakfast for me is no breakfast. I always go over my cal limit when i eat breakfast.

It's been said by doctors and nutritionists for years that skipping breakfast is NOT good for you. You need to eat 4-6 small meals a day. I eat 5 a day and manage to hit or stay below 1200 cals a day. I have days where I have to eat something else because you need at the least 1200 cals a day to lose weight in a healthy way and to keep your energy up.

I'm not trying to be mean here at all, but you just joined and appear to be very early in your journey. I recommend veering away from the info you've always "heard" (generally from Dr. Oz or a Woman's Day, amirite?) and start floating around the forums more and doing lots of research.

It's super common for people to come here and start spouting the things you were raised with: breakfast like a king, meals every two or three hours, you can't eat past 6 pm.

Much of this is wrong. Don't rely on health idioms; you're here, make it real. Look at the people who have been here a long time, who have sustainable success, etc.

This isn't just to you, either, but to others in this thread, and to the cumulative whole of the "New Year Resolution" people here.

I Had a previous account for a year and a half, and had lost 70lbs. I stopped logging, and hadn't gone anywhere, so I started again. I'm definitely not new to my journey. And I'm definitely not a New Years Resolution person!!

So then you have even less excuse to not have researched these things?

I have researched these things. I've also seen a nutritionist. I don't look up things from Dr. Oz or Womens Health or whatever you said. I actually gained weight when I wasn't eating breakfast. I also usually do my workout in the morning, so for me the energy is needed. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't even you who I responded to. You seem pretty negative and like someone who likes drama. 23, huh? My 13 yr old sister isn't even this bad!

Oh my, an attack on my age and an assumption on who I am from ten words, in addition to science that unique fits you? Yes, the bastion of maturity you are.

My apologies for the attack on your age, but you have insinuated plenty of times that I do not know what I'm doing. Those 70lbs must have just melted away on their own, huh? My frustrations got the better of me. I recanted what I had said and stated that it worked for me and may possibly work for people like me. If not eating in the morning works for you, Great! It does not for me though, and I hope you will understand that. Best of luck to you in your goals.
  • nwon87
    Options
    saute bell peppers and onions in pan with 1tsp olive oil, then add one egg and one serving of egg whites, pan scramble. 1/2 whole wheat english muffin, 1tsp grape jam. If not needing the nutrients from yolk that day, use all egg whites for less calories. Skip the muffin if not needing the whole grains or carbs. Add more peppers and onions for more filling.

Still uses up a 3rd of a day of calories for me though.

That sounds really tasty! I think I'll have to try it soon!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    op asked for breakfast ideas, not "should i eat breakfast?"
    lately i've been making quinoa for breakfast with a little almond milk added in, some berries, and honey or syrup for sweetness. this is the kind of thing with endless possibilities
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    op asked for breakfast ideas, not "should i eat breakfast?"

because many people are under the incorrect assumption that breakfast is mandatory, suggesting that she skip breakfast is a "breakfast idea"
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The perfect breakfast for me is no breakfast. I always go over my cal limit when i eat breakfast.

It's been said by doctors and nutritionists for years that skipping breakfast is NOT good for you. You need to eat 4-6 small meals a day. I eat 5 a day and manage to hit or stay below 1200 cals a day. I have days where I have to eat something else because you need at the least 1200 cals a day to lose weight in a healthy way and to keep your energy up.

I'm not trying to be mean here at all, but you just joined and appear to be very early in your journey. I recommend veering away from the info you've always "heard" (generally from Dr. Oz or a Woman's Day, amirite?) and start floating around the forums more and doing lots of research.

It's super common for people to come here and start spouting the things you were raised with: breakfast like a king, meals every two or three hours, you can't eat past 6 pm.

Much of this is wrong. Don't rely on health idioms; you're here, make it real. Look at the people who have been here a long time, who have sustainable success, etc.

This isn't just to you, either, but to others in this thread, and to the cumulative whole of the "New Year Resolution" people here.

I Had a previous account for a year and a half, and had lost 70lbs. I stopped logging, and hadn't gone anywhere, so I started again. I'm definitely not new to my journey. And I'm definitely not a New Years Resolution person!!

I have researched these things. I've also seen a nutritionist. I don't look up things from Dr. Oz or Womens Health or whatever you said. I actually gained weight when I wasn't eating breakfast. I also usually do my workout in the morning, so for me the energy is needed. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't even you who I responded to. You seem pretty negative and like someone who likes drama. 23, huh? My 13 yr old sister isn't even this bad!

Oh my, an attack on my age and an assumption on who I am from ten words, in addition to science that unique fits you? Yes, the bastion of maturity you are.

My apologies for the attack on your age, but you have insinuated plenty of times that I do not know what I'm doing. Those 70lbs must have just melted away on their own, huh? My frustrations got the better of me. I recanted what I had said and stated that it worked for me and may possibly work for people like me. If not eating in the morning works for you, Great! It does not for me though, and I hope you will understand that. Best of luck to you in your goals.

Where did I insinuate "plenty of times" I didn't know what you were doing? I was speaking specifically on the misinformation you said, and pointed out that many people new to their journeys live under the guidelines of certain things that have tons of research (from scientists, nutritionists, doctors) backing it up, many of which being: 1200 calories is not necessarily a sustainable calorie goal for healthy weight loss, eating breakfast is hardly necessary, and the "eat several small meals" has little verified science to back it up as a healthier weight loss plan than other means of eating.

My message was to you, and a whole group, who come on here very early in their journeys under misguided assumptions... and as it's technically against MFP rules to have multiple accounts, there wasn't much reason for me to suspect otherwise. You took it very personally, and in turn, attacked me; frankly, saying, "I apologize, but you know, you did say these things to make me say it" isn't much of an apology, when I was questioning your research, not insulting you.

If eating breakfast has worked for you, that IS great. It's the preaching of information as "this or nothing" that is frustrating, and your initial post DID have a very "this or that" quality by saying "You need to eat 4-6 days". Plus, even having seen ONE nutritionist who said one thing does make it "absolutely so," as "multiple sources" is where we get valid research.

I'm not a huge fan of ignorance, and even less a fan when said ignorance gets told as fact, particularly to people just starting out; I went out to say otherwise. I see now that you've posted other things saying you realize said info is not as cut and dry as you thought; that being said, this entire message is simply to solidify what I originally said, and directly to you.
  • DebsComeBack
    DebsComeBack Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The perfect breakfast would be 2 eggs sunny side up, lightly buttered rye toast, crispy heap of hash browns, 4 to 5 slices of perfectly cooked bacon,,,not too crisp, a belgium waffle bigger than my face topped with enough butter for every little square, powdered sugar to soak up the butter and a slather of syrup. Oh..and juice and coffee...can't forget that.

But I usually have 5 egg whites and a 1/2 cup oats. And coffee...can't forget the coffee.
  • nwon87
    Options

Where did I insinuate "plenty of times" I didn't know what you were doing? I was speaking specifically on the misinformation you said, and pointed out that many people new to their journeys live under the guidelines of certain things that have tons of research (from scientists, nutritionists, doctors) backing it up, many of which being: 1200 calories is not necessarily a sustainable calorie goal for healthy weight loss, eating breakfast is hardly necessary, and the "eat several small meals" has little verified science to back it up as a healthier weight loss plan than other means of eating.

My message was to you, and a whole group, who come on here very early in their journeys under misguided assumptions... and as it's technically against MFP rules to have multiple accounts, there wasn't much reason for me to suspect otherwise. You took it very personally, and in turn, attacked me; frankly, saying, "I apologize, but you know, you did say these things to make me say it" isn't much of an apology, when I was questioning your research, not insulting you.

If eating breakfast has worked for you, that IS great. It's the preaching of information as "this or nothing" that is frustrating, and your initial post DID have a very "this or that" quality by saying "You need to eat 4-6 days". Plus, even having seen ONE nutritionist who said one thing does make it "absolutely so," as "multiple sources" is where we get valid research.

I'm not a huge fan of ignorance, and even less a fan when said ignorance gets told as fact, particularly to people just starting out; I went out to say otherwise. I see now that you've posted other things saying you realize said info is not as cut and dry as you thought; that being said, this entire message is simply to solidify what I originally said, and directly to you.

I'm leaving it at this. I honestly didn't read all of what you just said, I'm on my phone and about to do my workout. I told you I recanted my statement, that what I had been told by my nutritionist works for me and best of luck to you. Why the long elicited response? I don't know. But once again, my apologies, and best of luck.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I'm leaving it at this. I honestly didn't read all of what you just said. I told you I recanted my statement, that what I had been told by my nutritionist works for me and best of luck to you. Why the long elicited response? I don't know. But once again, my apologies, and best of luck.

OP: Ignorance is the best breakfast ;)
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Baked beans (preferably low sugar/low salt ones) on wholemeal toast. This combination gives the full range of amino acids that a body needs for tissue growth/repair and is an excellent source of fibre.
  • djmom1984
    djmom1984 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I find this is also a carb overload, and I get sleepy before I even get to work!

In reference to some of the other posts, let's try and speak in a supportive manner here.
    None of us came here to get criticized. We all came here for support.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    We all came here for support.

I came here to count calories and track my macro percentages
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I have 2 eggs with smoked salmon most days, sometimes with spinach.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    What's the perfect breakfast? I'm constantly struggling with hitting my fibre and protein targets. Carbs and fat take care of themselves!
    For me, it's whatever I eat. I usually don't eat till after 12pm (after eating up till 11pm the day before) break my fast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What's the perfect breakfast? I'm constantly struggling with hitting my fibre and protein targets. Carbs and fat take care of themselves!

Metamucil + protein powder

I have a feeling that this was meant to be snarky, but I actually think it's a great idea. I'm rarely hungry in the mornings and tend to want to eat all day if I eat breakfast. But I was having trouble meeting my calcium and protein goals so I now have a cup of soy milk with protein powder, which brings both levels up without making me feel hungry all morning like I do when I eat breakfast.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm a cereal addict. A day just can't begin without cereal. I've found several figh-fiber, lower-carb cereals that I like. I have a bowl of cereal and skim milk every day.

I too love cereal. Been looking for high fiber low carb choices and not having any luck. Kashi Go Lean Protein is the closest I've come so far. What brands have you tried.
  • taylorreisiger
    taylorreisiger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always like a hot breakfast, so I eat:

I packet Trader Joe's blueberry oatmeal (160)
    1/3 cup egg whites (50)
    1/2 piece soy cheese (20)

I prepare the oatmeal with hot water and make an egg white-soy cheese omelet (:
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Cereals, oats and grains make my blood sugar drop so I tend to avoid those now. I've been having an egg with a few egg whites and turkey bacon and half of a whole grain sandwich skinny from aldi or two whole eggs with some sauteed mushrooms. I also have made a scrambled egg burrito with corn tortilla an egg and some egg whites with salsa and a bit of cheese.