Replies

• senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Low carb and yoga
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    only two replies that dont like to call it dieting?.. how dissapointing .. I was expecting this post to be alot longer already.
    However, I do agree. along with what everyone else has said :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    okay, I'm seeing what your all kinda saying is stay under my calories, well how do I know how much I need??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^This is marvelous. Follow the steps and you will be well-armed with information.^
    Bingo. I follow the Road Map - best thing ever. Wish I had found it years ago. Simplifies the whole process. Read it. Follow it. Use it. Lose fat, keep/build lean muscle. Food is fuel!
  • I want to thank everyone who posted here, I'm understanding what your all saying and what seems to work. I just gotta find the right foods and exercise that'll work for me and it's not a diet!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I started out with witchcraft and wizardry, then switched to voodoo for a bit.

However, the whole tracking calories and macros and exercising thing seems to yield the best results.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'll let you in on a secret. When I was 27 I had my gallbladder removed and freaked and started eating ultra-low-fat and vegetarian.

I went from 263 lbs to 180 lbs in less than a year. I maintained for almost 2 years and then started eating meat and didn't keep my calories from fat under 10% and didn't know how to eat like a normal person got depressed and stopped going to the gym and put most of it back.

When I was 34 I weighed 241 lbs. I started doing SouthBeach I got down to 163lbs in about a year and kept it mostly off for about 3 years. It's not low carb, it's not low fat and even now I take a fair amount of it's tenants to heart. However, my mom's health took a bad turn and I stopped caring about my health and what I ate and at age 41 I found myself at 241 lbs again.

Things have changed this time around. I am maintaining a caloric deficit and hitting my marcos, and I'm seriously enjoying my activity and not doing it because I have to, always before at any time going to the gym or whatever was a chore not a joy.

I have been lowering my caloric deficit over the last 2-3 months. I am about to add another 250 calories a day back in and then the other 250 (to no deficit) when I hit goal.

I have chosen not to eat one and only one type of food. Potato chips in my tunafish sandwiches. Thats it, nothing else. I don't need cheat days, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. If I want to eat something that might not be on plan I don't have a lot of it and I put in extra time/miles at the gym/running to make up for it.

But getting 30 mintues a day of exercise (sometime more, never less) has made me FEEL better and it's gotten easier in the last year.

But I am not ON a diet, my nutritional goals are dictated by my activity level and fitness needs.

My bloodwork and everything else checked at my physical came back as "spot on" according to my doctor. That was 6 months ago and something like 40 pounds ago.

I am at normal weight and a mere 11 pounds from my goal (it's probably 10 but I'm not due to get on the scale until tomorrow)

But in addition to tracking what I'm eating, I have a heart rate monitor to measure my calorie burn, when you start exercising, if you havent already, it's super handy to have because most other methods of tracking your burn are giving false numbers.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    okay, I'm seeing what your all kinda saying is stay under my calories, well how do I know how much I need??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^This is marvelous. Follow the steps and you will be well-armed with information.^
    Bingo. I follow the Road Map - best thing ever. Wish I had found it years ago. Simplifies the whole process. Read it. Follow it. Use it. Lose fat, keep/build lean muscle. Food is fuel!

Full House. I follow it too. I now eat a healthy amount of calories and still lose weight. It doesn't have to be hard, it just has to be sustainable and you will succeed.

ETA - to correct spelling duh!!
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    A combination of the following:

Portion control and moderation
    Finding exercise I enjoyed and actually looked forward to
    Challenging myself at doing things I'd never done
    Eating cleaner. Healthier. More colorful fruits and veggies.
    Buying a HRM to accurately calculate calories burned
    Not restricting myself of anything. Eating what I want... just less of it

Calories in < calories out
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Counting calories
    Eating vegetables with almost every meal
    Treating myself to delicious fruits
    Dancing
    High intensity super slow weight training
    Giving myself small sinful treats on a regular basis
    Loving myself
  • all4my3boyz
    all4my3boyz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    1.) weighing and measuring all of my food
    2.) logging all of my caloric intake as accurately as possible, every single day
    3.) eating between my BMR and TDEE (~ 20% of my TDEE)
    4.) making more nutritious food choices and managing my macronutrients
    5.) exercising for fitness, not for weight loss
    All this and the right mindset, if you want it bad enough, you will make it happen!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eating the right amount of food, no too much, not too little, and by not depriving myself of my favorite foods.
  • demilovatic
    Options
    burning off more calories than i consumed
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What has helped me was to hit my calorie and macro targets as often as I can, and lift heavy stuff a few times per week.
    Reasonable caloric deficit, eat a balance of foods with nothing off limits, hit my macros, strength trained.

^ Doesn't get any simpler or more effective than that.