There's no clever way to say this.

Options
13»

Replies

• di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I need to lose this weight (over 150# total) to save my life.

I edited that sentence half a dozen times to try to find a funny way to say it, but that's the bare truth.

There are reasons that I *want* to lose the weight - I miss wearing fun clothes without seven layers of foundation garments, I want to have a baby in the next couple of years and I know the weight is affecting my ability to do that, I want to be able to walk up the stairs or walk a few blocks with my friends without that burning feeling in my chest and legs.

But the bottom line is, if I don't lose this weight, it will eventually be the death of me.

I've ****ed around with weight loss programs for the last five years and I've wasted time and money by not taking it seriously.

But I'm going to be 30 in 2014, my five year wedding anniversary is coming up this year, and I'm tired of looking and feeling this way. I want to take it seriously this time.

This is my second time back with MFP - and I've tried half a dozen other programs, including WW. I've started a brand new fresh profile so that my past habits don't hold me back.

I'd love to find some friends to help me along the way! I know this post is a bit of a drag, but I'm a great cheerleader and generally very positive about working to get rid of this weight. So, if you need some support, or you want to give some support, feel free to add me!

print this post you wrote out and put it somewhere you see daily...it speaks volumes!
    You can do this.
    the only person in our way of reaching our goals is ourselves i've learned...
    focus on mini goals and just focus on that. i find that much easier and less overwhelming. right now im focusing
    on my next 18lbs and just on that..
    just a few suggestions.......
    going to add you now :)
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    A great suggestion I was given was to enter the food before you eat it.... that way you see the calories and decide if it is worth it, Good Luck!
    I do this about half of the time, and it's really helpful. I go back and look at it throughout the day and if I think I might need to modify something in order to have more or less of one nutrient I'm tracking, I can change things. It also helps to remind of you things you'll get to have later in the day and can look forward to.
  • exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A great suggestion I was given was to enter the food before you eat it.... that way you see the calories and decide if it is worth it, Good Luck!

This.
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know how you are feeling! I am a month into my weight loss journey and the motivation from MFP has been awesome...Please feel free to add me! As well as anyone else!
  • leenie96
    Options
    Would love to support you, feel free to add me. Good luck on your journey, it's definitely doable, and knowing that is the first step!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Need help for the weekend! I stick to my guns during the week but historically, weekends are my weakness. At work , I have no tempting foods, only healthy snacks. Not so true at home. This first weekend is going to be a HUGE test for me. Any ideas to keep me on the right path?

Piece of advice that I was given when I first posted on here (about Christmas and my dreading it...): don't think like that. There are many days that make up your year. Some of those days you will go over (don't plan to but if it happens so what - get back on the horse again the next day). Keep logging regardless - if you feel shame, anger at yourself for being silly or making bad choices? Use it to motivate you to find better choices that make you healthy and happy. A balance has to be struck and the thing I find is that if I don't deny myself things I feel better. No one says a few Quality Street Sweeties will kill you - but eating all of them everywhere ever will...moderation is what I have to learn...enjoy yourself but log to see where you should be and aim for that.

If you are looking to 'diet' you will get that result, but if you are looking at a lifestyle change then you will have to also change your ideas. It is nothing to dread or be tempted by things: you can have chips - just not a whole bowl, get popcorn in that is low fat, have your mayo in your tuna - just not a cup of it...measure and weigh things, look at packages and decide in the end - is it a treat if it is worth more than one meal in two bites...I save up calories for things I really want - like going to the cinema I love a bit of popcorn - but when you start to realize just how little you can eat to enjoy that bag (like 200 calories - or one package of instant oatmeal in the day to offset the calories - for the rest of the day so you can have a medium un-buttered Odion popcorn) the motivation or temptation lessens.

I have some go to foods that I find really make me feel less like a sucky baby and more like a person leading a normal life: non-fat yoghurt in vast quantities makes it so I don't have to cry about my cheese addiction. I love sausages but can only have them on a work out day...things like that. The first few days I found myself sulking a bit as my husband tucked into things that I normally love. Now I keep thinking 'bathing suit shot from August in which you could scare small children and attract fishing vessels" or "not being able to work out at the gym because you have no energy" and then I pull up my socks.

Prior to joining MFP I was just working out using Fitocracy (great app by the way - makes working out a game) and although I dropped a dress size I was not loosing any weight. The big bonus to come out of my efforts so far - have lost some weight - but being able to exercise more means that I have more energy...this time last year I would have to nap in the afternoon of the day I did my work outs because I was so tired I couldn't stay awake. That is sad. There a so many things that are better when you stay on track and do it right - I don't feel deprived like I thought I would and sure I have my mad days (well Christmas is all I can say) but knowing that this system works makes me so excited for this year. I am super pumped just thinking about loosing the weight and feeling and looking better.

Sorry - verbal diarrhea - but I am feeling so up after kicking *kitten* at the gym earlier and still being awake (and hell I'll admit it) being able to eat a few sweets guilt-free that I thought I would just try to pass that positivity on!
  • amandaneverfails
    amandaneverfails Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You are all amazing and there is so much wonderful help and support here. I hadn't had a chance to read through all of this (darned mobile app!) until today, but I was moved to tears more than once and I have found so many great suggestions and motivators, here and from the people who have added me.

This is why MFP is so awesome.

Thank you all so much, and the best of luck to you all as well!
  • gkunner
    Options
    Good luck in your path. I know you will do it. I take one day at a time.
  • I'm right there with you. I'm 34 years old and I need to lose 100+ lbs. before my two daughters grow up with out a Mom. I would love to become friends with you so we could support each other and I think this might be easier with a friend.
  • aproctor1120
    Options
    Thank you to all of your wonderful suggestions for help with my weekend weaknesses. I cleared out the cupboards and went to the store where I stocked up on colorful, crunchy veggies, oranges and grapefruits. I also ended up with a bag of frozen mixed berries that tasted great and was much more affordable than buying individual packages of fresh. I consider this past weekend a success. Tomorrow is my weekly weigh-in day...fingers crossed!
  • stefjdf01
    stefjdf01 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I too am 30 years old and like a couple of the other posters, also felt that your post sounded like something I could have wrote. :) I have way over 100 lbs to lose to get to goal weight. I have 3 young children and sometimes I honestly wonder how I'll find the time to work out each day without sacrificing time with them. I know it CAN be done, but it sure is hard (I know, I know...no one ever said it was easy!). My hardest time of day is the evening as soon as I get home I head straight to the fridge. I might eat perfectly all day at work and then bam! - it's like all the stress of the day just zaps me and I'm so exhausted I just want to sit down on the couch, eat some ice cream, and watch tv. My lifestyle isn't doing anything for me. I want the energy that I need in order to be able to keep up with my kids. I say they are first in my life, but how have I shown that to them? I've got to get myself together and fast. And as far as your wanting children, I will say that during my last 2 pregnancies I was very heavy (not quite as heavy as I am now, but still enough to be considered "obese") and they were both very difficult. I was always drained and towards the end my blood pressure got very high and I was put on bed rest. Losing weight before having a baby is a great thing. I am so glad you started this post and I hope you add me as a friend. We could motivate and encourage each other!