How do you guys keep yourself from eating junk food????

Options
I've tried for so long that I finally just quit trying because it didn't work staying away from it

there was a time when I would not eat fast food or buy anything outside
but my parents (even though I told them I did not want to be fat anymore) keep buying me junk food and I eat it because I can't stop thinking about junk food so I get cravings all day
even if I stuff myself with fruits and veggies, those cravings of junk food are still there and I give in

it's hard!! >.< I weigh 160 now :(
I used to be 140, I wanted to be 130 or 120-something but instead of losing 10 pounds I gained twenty!!
anyone in similar situation????

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It's an HOURLY struggle for me not to eat junk food.

Every time I remember the tortilla chips, velveeta and rotel I have in the pantry, I think about how my jeans fit and how giving in will make me miserable afterwards. Try to keep yourself busy so you don't think about it. Every time you remember the snacks, tell yourself NO. However many times it takes.

I know people some people will say indulge and just work it off, or just have a little/portion control, but I *KNOW* I can't be limited, so I don't even start. This losing weight business is difficult and frustrating, but you have to just do it and take it a minute at a time if you have to.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I've tried for so long that I finally just quit trying because it didn't work staying away from it

there was a time when I would not eat fast food or buy anything outside
    but my parents (even though I told them I did not want to be fat anymore) keep buying me junk food and I eat it because I can't stop thinking about junk food so I get cravings all day
    even if I stuff myself with fruits and veggies, those cravings of junk food are still there and I give in

it's hard!! >.< I weigh 160 now :(
    I used to be 140, I wanted to be 130 or 120-something but instead of losing 10 pounds I gained twenty!!
    anyone in similar situation????

If you want it, and it fits in with your calories and your macros, then eating it once in a while isn't going to hurt. And the planning for it and enjoying it may help you stay on track the rest of the time.
  • Aitm20
    Aitm20 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Boy do I get you. My dinners used to consist of chips and chocolate bars at bed. Cravings do stop once you have stopped eating junk a couple of weeks. It's a HUGE sacrifice and it takes willpower but you're strong enough, you'll see. Not having any of it in stock helps a great deal. No seeing, no smelling no temptation. Now instead of chips I have a mini bag of 100 calorie popcorn and instead of chocolate bars I eat the Slimfast snack ones which are 100 caloriesand really good. Satisfies those junk cravings and nothing is more satisfying than seeing a leaner figure in the mirror and your pants feeling looser and looser. :) Good luck
  • Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    work out how much of a particular exercise it would take to work off the junk you want. If you want it that bad then you will do the exercise first.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I plan for it, 2 sweets/desserts each day, even if it's just a bit of chocolate. Cutting them out forever doesn't work for me. I went that way for 2 months and ending up binging on 2 dozen shortbread cookies.

If you're the sort to not be able to stop eating sweets once you have a bite, then cutting them out completely is probably the best option.
  • Mommyfate
    Mommyfate Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I try my hardest not to eat junk food. If I start to crave something chocolatey, thats when I do a workout or take a walk. Afterwards, I've either earned enough to eat it, or don't want to anymore because of the exercise.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    If you don't have it in your house, you can't eat it.

Instead of packages of Chips Deluxe, get the 100 calorie packs of cookies.

Instead of tubs of ice cream, get individual servings of ice cream (sandwiches, bars) and eat just ONE.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I am TRYING to cut it out now, but I have always just leaned towards low cal junk food to get me through.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. I don't deprive myself from any food however Pringles and Doritos are so addictive that I have to keep them out of the house. If I eat them at work or somewhere else, I just try to stop myself from going too crazy.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I can't have foods I shouldn't eat in the house, especially if I like them. (examples: cake, triple fat brie.........)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently unhealthy. A more reasonable approach is to eat a moderate amount of foods you enjoy every day. Trying completely avoid foods you like can lead to unhealthy obsession with them.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently unhealthy. A more reasonable approach is to eat a moderate amount of foods you enjoy every day. Trying completely avoid foods you like can lead to unhealthy obsession with them.

^ This.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't keep myself from eating it....I just fit it into my daily calorie allowance and have a smaller portion. :)
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    move out. Or throw the food away as soon as they buy it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i eat all the junk food i want, which works great because i dont want any junk food.

It comes down to what do you want more. Do you want to have a healthy diet and healthy body, or do you want to eat junk food? What do you want more? you can't have both. sure you can eat junk food in moderation, but a healthy person doesn't want junk food, they want healthy food.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I eat homemade cheesecake, ice cream every day and even toss in a cocoa swiss roll cake for most of my carbs. I don't give up anything and I'm doing a cut.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    you we're supposed to give that stuff up? :noway:

OOPS!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I feel.... I am never giving up chocolate! I eat 2-3 foil covered chocolate balls a day. I store them in the freezer and let them melt in my mouth, really helps with cravings for only a few calories.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Eat it in moderation every day or have one day a week to eat some junk. This has worked very well for me in the past and I am the king of junk food.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Doritos and honey roasted peanuts are my crack....anything else I can forego. I don't keep them in the house.

Obviously if you've got others in the house bringing them in it creates a problem. If you've spoken to your parents and already asked them not to buy junk food, and they're bringing it in for their own enjoyment... I'm not sure what your options are. Perhaps figuring out what times of day/situations have you running for the junk food is the way to start. Once you know when the problem hours are you can avoid being home during that time of day or find an alternative healthy snack to substitute. It's like smokers and their desire to have a cigarette after a meal. Figure out when you're most vulnerable.