bump
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I used to think that eating a Hot Pocket everyday for lunch was healthy because it was only 300 calories. I think about that often and just have to laugh at myself now.
  • hjdavies2326
    hjdavies2326 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not available in my country #sadface

Edit- get honestlabel for uk users
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Just downloaded to my iPhone and iPad, thank you so much!
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    b
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Love all the food and fitness Nazis on here bashing the OP for trying to be helpful to the others on the forum. It was suggested as an educational tool for people, not as the be all and end of health and nutrition. So, if you have a Ph.D. in nutrition science, or at least think you do, then give out your name and number and hourly rate for consultation. Otherwise, try to be supportive or JSTFU.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Love all the food and fitness Nazis on here bashing the OP for trying to be helpful to the others on the forum. It was suggested as an educational tool for people, not as the be all and end of health and nutrition. So, if you have a Ph.D. in nutrition science, or at least think you do, then give out your name and number and hourly rate for consultation. Otherwise, try to be supportive or JSTFU.

It's a common and annoying misconception that one requires a degree or credentials to be able to easily identity bull$hit.
  • tbear60
    tbear60 Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't have a smart phone but would not mind an app if it could scan it and tell me in BIGGER letters what is in it. I totally avoid all trans fats, hydrogenated, partially hydrogenated and now they are using intenserfied (sp) items and most of the time the labels are printed so tiny I can't read them! Getting older sucks and I don't care to take reading glasses with me everyplace I go, then have to take them on and of and on and off just to read what may be in the food I buy. An app that you could put ingredients in you are trying to avoid would be nice to have, scan it, it can quickly tell you if those are in it or not, and move on. I don't like to stand in the store and have to read all the labels to see what they may have put in it that I don't care to eat. Just saying...Thanks for sharing, I will have to check it out and see what it actually does when I do get a smart phone. :)
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

It's a common and annoying misconception that one requires a degree or credentials to be able to easily identity bull$hit.

^^THIS^^^
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Like your profile?
  • cforte07
    Options
    Oh this is awesome! Thank you so much! And for those people with questions, they have a great website about the app that is super detailed: http://www.fooducate.com/

I am making my next grocery list with their list of foods and my local grocery store coupon newsletter! I'm excited! Thanks :)
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I am not scared to try some thing new and I just downloaded this app. after checking it out on the web. The only reason is because I wanted to see if it would call out foods with MSG. on the quick screen that this app has and it did woohoo!! MSG makes my head feel loopy and weird and it fks with my nerves. I can totally use this when I go grocery shopping to scan things as it will make it WAAYYY faster to identify foods with MSG in it. It certainly beats having to stand there and closely and I mean closely sift reading through the fine azz print on the labels of all the foods I am interested in eating. I just hope it identify's foods that mask MSG under the other names..
    ETA:^ oh awesome it does .. Way cool

THANK YOU OP!! srs :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Have it and LOVE IT!! :heart: :heart: Was shocked , some of the "healthy" things I was eating got grades of D from them.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    So basically it reads the label for you?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Like your profile?

Are you a computer scientist or network engineer? How did you know my profile is bs?

See? Exactly.
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    So basically it reads the label for you?

The app goes into more detail and breaks down the ingredients that you may not understand. It also gives you healthier alternatives. Its more of a tool to help educate you. Makes you really think about what you're eating.

But nice sarcastic rude quip.
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    how does it define 'healthy?' because there is no one food that is inherently unhealthy.
    5e75127e132dd772d5690399b691a022.jpg

^^^ This seems inherently unhealthy ^^^^

Fooducate is a great app I have been using it for a couple of years

some other good apps
    * Ismoothrun (with bluetooth heart rate monitor) (syncs to runkeeper)
    * runkeeper (with withings body fat scale
    * sleepcycle (syncs sleep to run keeper)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Have it and LOVE IT!! :heart: :heart: Was shocked , some of the "healthy" things I was eating got grades of D from them.

Like what?

As I said before, it doesn't put things in context.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What determines if it's healthy or not? Does the app know my calorie and macro goals? Does it track what I've eaten throughout the day to know how the food I'm about to track fits in with all the other food I've eaten?

This exactly. I'd rather read the labels of my food and decide whether *I* think they are healthy for *me*. A quick look at the amount of sugar in most granola bars is enough to tell you something--unless of course you want to eat a bunch of relatively quickly digested carbs.

what is considered a decent amout in granola bars

"Decent amount" is a highly subjective concept. What I consider reasonable, you may not consider reasonable. What is reasonable for my husband to eat after running 5 miles is different from what I would eat after 45min bike ride, etc.. I had three points (1) we all have different activity levels, goals, etc., so a one size fits all approach probably isn't going to fit anyone very well. (2) All the relevant information is on the label, you don't need an ap, you just need to flip the package over. (3) It is better to read labels and think, than it is to just believe what some ap tells you.