Teachers on summer vacation

Options
Ok so this has been my first week of summer vacation. This is so hard. I went from doing great to wanting to eat all the time. When school was in I didn't have time to eat during the day. My schedule didn't allow it, and only having 20 minutes for lunch made a small meal seem so much more filling. Now that I'm home I want a nice big lunch and snacks. It's only the first week!!! How am I going to make it through the next 2 months????? I wanted to really do well over the summer and come back about 20-30 pounds lighter. I just can't seem to get with it. Any advice that will actually work? Thanks!

36116.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• bleachcse
    bleachcse Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ok so this has been my first week of summer vacation. This is so hard. I went from doing great to wanting to eat all the time. When school was in I didn't have time to eat during the day. My schedule didn't allow it, and only having 20 minutes for lunch made a small meal seem so much more filling. Now that I'm home I want a nice big lunch and snacks. It's only the first week!!! How am I going to make it through the next 2 months????? I wanted to really do well over the summer and come back about 20-30 pounds lighter. I just can't seem to get with it. Any advice that will actually work? Thanks!

36116.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Fellow teacher here..unfortunately, I have two weeks of school left, so I'm not quite in the same boat as you, but I can see this being a possible problem as well. My goal is to try to stay busy as much as possible so I'm not eating out of boredom. If you start to feel hungry, get a drink of water, or go for a quick walk. Just a thought!!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I agree...I'm a teacher too, and we have 2 weeks left as well. I applied already for a summer job to keep me occupied, and I plan on working out in the mornings to keep my body in that working out mode and healthy mode during the day. Also...I realized that I don't like to eat as unhealthy or as much when I'm warm, or hot..so, I'm saving energy too, and keeping the apt warmer and using fans:)
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I am on my last week and worried about it too.

The only thing I can think of is get away from the food. Go for walks, work out, or something to get your mind off the food.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Thursday is my last day and I'm not worrying about the "summer slump" yet. I'm moving on the 12th across the country and figure I'll be good and busy with that for a couple weeks. Then I'll be going to IL to visit twice this summer, I have to concentrate on finding a job in Kentucky, and my sister's coming to visit for a week!

I think my biggest eating concern right now is being on the road for 3 days. My dad and husband are coming with me - both string beans with high metabolisms - like to stop at McDonalds, convenience stores just for junk food. Hopefully we'll be able to find Subways or supermarkets along the way for me to find healthier options...
  • kaychic
    kaychic Posts: 8
    Options
    Not sure if this will help, but I seem to have the opposite problem... I was always making a lunch with whatever I could find and that is what I ate between classes. Sometimes it was not a good balance of nutrients and I'd end up at the vending machine. Now home for the summer, I'm thrilled to have time to make a nice lunch and take my time (though my 7 week old is making it challenging!).

Perhaps try to think of it as the opportunity to make and eat something that you'd normally not be able to have at work, or be able to take to work. For me, that is often a hot lunch.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm on summer vacation too and at home with my 2 little boys. My strategy is making sure I don't have snacks that I love in my house. I buy cereal, graham crackers, string cheese for my kids; all things they like but I won't go crazy for. I also try to work out more and that gives me more calories. I also have "recess" whenever I feel like snacking so we get out of the house! Oh, and I keep lots of fruit around. An added bonus is my kids love fruit now. This is my third week of vacation and I think I'll make it!
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    I set a goal of running a 1/2 marathon by then end of summer. This keeps me very focused.

I also picked up a 6 week job.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Fellow teacher here as well...not out for another 3 1/12 weeks though! Aarrrrgghhh!

Anyway, I agree with the other posts as well. Two things I plan to focus on are:

1. Taking time to actually cook...and cook healthy. So, no quick "I'm starving on the way home" trips to McDonald's. AND, the extra time at home will help me include more fresh fruits and veggies in my daily intake...something I definitely need to work on.

2. I'm training to get my next belt at self defense at the end of the summer, so I have that goal to keep me focused.
  • JJAE53
    JJAE53 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Another fellow teacher!

I'm out, and the first 2 days were rough. I must have snacked on eveything in sight! Then I told myself, "Wait a minute!" Lkie others have already posted, I've begun to focus on 2 things:
    Preparing different, healthy meals which I don't have time for during school
    Developing creative ways to workout which should provide variety --again, not enough time
    during school

So far, this is working for me. Hope it helps you. I know how difficult it can be. Hang in there, and don't hesitate to message me if you need an "ear."

Judy
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Since staying home with my babies, I've had THE SAME PROBLEM!!! :grumble:

My trick that seems to work is making a big mug of flavoured green tea (I like Honey Lemon Ginseng - no calories) and I refill the mug all day long. Everytime I go into the kitchen I down the big mug, and then pop the kettle on to refill the mug. I actually like it luke warm, and it makes it easier to drink fast. It fills me up, plus the green tea boosts the metabolism and is a good antioxidant!

Good luck and enjoy your WELL DESERVED summer vacation!
    :flowerforyou:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too and will be out of school for the summer in a week! Although I know what you mean about having more time in the summer for snacking, I have less of a problem in the summer because I also have so much more time to work out than I do during the school year. Maybe just tell yourself you have to "earn" whatever you eat by working out for it. Go on long walks, hikes, running, anything that will earn you more calories.
  • nelleybelley
    nelleybelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am not a teacher- but I am home with my kids all summer long. What really helps me is scheduling my days. I will input all of my meals and snacks the night before. This way mentally I know when and what I will be eating. It cuts down on munching and cabinet grazing. I know at for my morning snack I will have half an apple and LC cheese, and a few hours later for lunch I will have a Lean Cuisine. It seems to really help. That and keeping junk food out of the house.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Since staying home with my babies, I've had THE SAME PROBLEM!!! :grumble:

My trick that seems to work is making a big mug of flavoured green tea (I like Honey Lemon Ginseng - no calories) and I refill the mug all day long. Everytime I go into the kitchen I down the big mug, and then pop the kettle on to refill the mug. I actually like it luke warm, and it makes it easier to drink fast. It fills me up, plus the green tea boosts the metabolism and is a good antioxidant!

Good luck and enjoy your WELL DESERVED summer vacation!
    :flowerforyou:

What type do you drink? Is it a special brand? I have had such hit and miss luck with tea the last few years.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    i tried some detox tea (its a blend) called DETOX TEA at safeway. it tastes like the chinese stuff in chinese places when i was a kid.........mmmmm hehe i like.

the yogi pom green tea

:drinker: :drinker: