Anyone else quit smoking?

Options
I'm on Day 4 now, feeling surprisingly really good. In the past when I've tried to give up I've always felt crabbit. Mood swings and cravings galore! But this time round I feel great. I don't WANT to smoke anymore. I'm ready for all obstacles quitting will put me through and I'm definitely ready for the healthier body!

How are you getting on with quitting or are you planning to quit soon?

Are you using any tools to help you (tablets, e-cigarettes, etc or just on pure willpower?

Replies

• Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My last cigarette was July 10, 2010. I'm going to give you the best advice i was given that I'll NEVER foregt. I used the patch too BTW.

A much older woman who I was speaking with one day said to me " Honey, the best advice I was given and I quit over 20 years ago is first, you have to want it and second just know and accept that for at least 4-6 months - it's going to really suck. I mean you are going to be moody and feel like crap some days. But it WILL let up and get better. Then, you'll thank youself. Just stick it out."

You know what? She was 100% correct. Good luck.
  • itecson
    itecson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Every cigarette you don’t smoke add’s 20mins to your life  Just imagine how many more special moments you can spend with your friends and family, the amount of money you save, and how every organ in your body functions efficiently – giving you a much better perception of the world around you, a better experience of life in general.

Keep a small list of all the positive benefits of quitting, and everytime you have a craving, read the list and remind yourself of why you’re quitting. Exercise is also a great way to get rid of cravings – among other benefits, a 10-15 min walk around the block works wonders.

I remember when I used to smoke a pack and a half of Kool Mild a day, before/after eating; if I were drinking out with friends, I could easily smoke a whole pack so I gave up drinking too, my original intention was to do so temporarily, but I ended up quitting for good! The cravings go away, the physical and mental addiction goes away, and you will feel better than you have ever felt before.

Be positive and stay strong my friend! Cessation is one of the best decisions you will ever make in your life. Aloha!

Ike
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I started tapering off smoking last year, finally quitting for good in May. I had slowed down significantly a few months before that, but I needed a smoke every now and then. The thing that really made me stop was riding my bike and working out. I couldn't spare the lung capacity.
  • Off_The_Record
    Options
    I quit smoking cigarettes in 2008 and I it was the best decision I could have ever made. Well I guess it wasn't really a "decision" because at that time I just could not afford it. However, when I could afford it (a year or two later) I was not interested in picking up that habbit again. Since quitting my breathing has drastically improved and everything I eat tastes so much better than before. Every once in awhile when I am around somebody smoking, especially when I am drinking, I will crave one. The thing that helped me was remembering that it was one day at a time and that so much could happen in one day. I also had to keep doing the math on how much I actually saved like "I haven't smoked in 3 days.. that's 21 dollars... that's a half of a tank of gas" However, I did not quit smoking everything :smokin: so maybe that helped. Good luck :) It will all be worth it xox
  • SelfSabotage
    SelfSabotage Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    congrats, one day at a time and then one day you will realize that wow you have not even thought about it in like a week, month, year. I have 8 years behind me. My husband smokes and all it does now is make me mad that he smokes around me and the smell of him after he has one keeps me reassured that smoking is so not cool, fun or worth the money. as far as eating your going to discover that now you have taste buds how awesome food tastes. So just be careful Drink lots and lots of water to flush the nicotine out of your body YOU have the right mind set so you will be successful
  • DuhhMuffin
    Options
    Me and cigarettes have a really weird relationship. I'll smoke for 3 months, and then suddenly not want cigarettes and quit for 6 months with no physical or mental repercussions at all.

I don't know why. I've never felt addicted to them. Just sometimes I want to smoke, and other times I don't want to. Like, I quit cold turkey without even thinking about it. I just realize I haven't smoked in a week, and don't smoke again until I want a cig which usually lasts for months.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I quit several months ago. I literally stopped counting, stopped focusing on it altogether. I simply got sick of the smell, the taste, the look. I got sick of my house and car and clothes stinking. Most of all I got freaking sick of my rather long (mid back) soft, silky awesome smelling hair STINKING OF CIGs. UGH. My ex fiance' smoked up MY HOUSE AND MY CAR and I hated it. Now he's an EX and my house doesnt stink anymore.................BONUS!!

Next to the hair stinking thing was the hugest biggest thing ever that convinced me to stop
    mega trouble breathing. Just walking to the car, taking a shower, making supper et al. I would struggle to breathe to the point that Id break out in a sweat. I got sick in July and landed in the hospital with a systemic bacterial infection among other things. I puked for days, couldnt eat, was on more meds than any 10 people should be. Once discharged Id lost 20 lbs (and have kept going obviously)and havent touched a cig or even wanted to since. I breathe soooooo much better and dont smell either LOL Funny thing is......I dont crave them 99% of the time. If somebody pisses me off I may.....but I havent caved yet.

..............and because I have no idea where I was headed with this........Im leaving now>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I quit in April 2009. You really have to want it. I remember waking up that morning, throwing away all of my cigarettes, butts, ashtrays, everything and taking my car to get it detailed (never smoked in the house). Next, I bought packets of Trident and put them into all of the places I would normally store my cigarettes (in the front pouch of my purse, the little cubby in the car, the kitchen counter) so when I reached for them, I would grab the gum and pop a piece. I also found it helpful not to quit the other habits I had created, like going outside and pacing on the phone on my 15 minute breaks. I still did that, just without the cigarette. I bought patches but I think I only used a few of them. I kept one in my back pocket for when I had a craving then I'd slap it on until it went away.

Anyways, these are the things that worked for ME. You have to find what works for you. I think the biggest question is if you are a habitual smoker or a nicotine addict. If you're are actually addicted to the nicotine, you might want to look at patches and gums. I was habitual, so I had to fill my habits another way. Best of luck!!
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    I quit smoking on new years too! Day 4!!! :) I"m using gum and the occasion e-cig but I havent used either more than twice a day. I feel surprisingly good too, but i'm the same as you... I'm just done with it. I don't WANT to smoke anymore.

I'm gonna friend ya!!!
  • staciarose13
    staciarose13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It has been almost exactly (to the minute) 2 weeks since my last cigarette. It was really tough for me at first (in the past, I've quit with chantix, i've never quit cold turkey). I had horrible mood swings, was so exhausted and got dizzy. I had a few puffs over the first couple of days and then decided to get Nicotine Lozenges and they worked like a charm. I haven't had one of those since last weekend and I still have some mood swings but I am doin a-ok and don't even crave cigarettes anymore. When my co-workers come in from smoking, it smells disgusting to me. I never thought I'd be able to do it, but I just knew it was time!
    Good Luck!!!
  • jcmorrison25
    jcmorrison25 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of Chantix, I can go days without a craving or I might smoke a pack. I HATE the smell of my clothes and hair and that is probably the biggest motivator alongside the money I will save for wanting to quit. The problem I'm facing is purely the habit; done eating...smoke, going to bed....smoke, driving somewhere smoke...I have got to find a replacement for the actions. I can not crave smoking at all and then look at the clock and realise that I've missed a normal smoke break time and will become a fiend. I know for me it's 90% mental. Good luck to you! If you need an extra friend, please feel free to add me, and we can check in on eachother!
  • mccb1977
    Options
    I quit Sept 6, 2011. I used the patch, and also got alot of support from this website Quitnow.net and my 14 year old daughter who really wanted me to quit, and my supportive non-smoking husband. I can agree with everyone saying that you have to want it for yourself. Another thing, find something to replace smoking with, reading, writing, exercise, etc. I myself didn't and ended up gaining some weight. Good luck! :)
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I quit four years ago (well, for Christmas 2008) and the first few months were the hardest. After about six months of constant telling myself "Not today" and "You don't need it" and "Think about something else".... I finally didn't have to think much about it at all anymore. I had really quit, physically and psychologically. It's definitely not an overnight thing. Now I don't even like the smell of it, it gives me a bit of a headache. But while I was in the process of actively quitting, I found that sugar-free gum, sunflower seeds (in the shell, so you have to take a bit of time cracking them open) and drinking more water than I could stand all really helped me focus the craving on something else. Had to change my sleep and eating times for a while too, to avoid the habitual cigarettes after meal or before bed. And frankly I was crabby (oops, can't use the word I originally put, but I bet you can guess it) for a lot of that time, and easily annoyed, and on a short fuse... but it was well worth it in the end. I sleep better, breathe better and feel better :)
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 years ago this month. I used the patch and Wellbutrin. I made a promise to never smoke again and I have not. I smoke for 37 years. Good luck♥
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Great decision. Stick with it and you will not regret it. My mom quit a year ago. She used the patch and her doctor prescribed Wellbutrin for the first few months. She did not have any ill effects, mood swings, or desires to replace it with something else.

I would strongly encourage you to get some type of medication at first to help with the cravings and the mood swings. In contrast to my mother's smooth sailing, I almost divorced my hubby when he quit because he became so angry and irritable I could not talk to him without it turning into a full blown argument. He also replaced his cravings with food. That was 22 years ago, but he still weighs over 330 pounds because of the addicition.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Is there any sort of quit smoking groups on here? I had a search and can only find threads. Just finished reading Allen Carrs book, had my last cigarette and am now officially a non smoker (hopefully)
    Think other peoples support might help though as ive never tried to quit before and have been smoking about 16 years :(
    Anyone that can help or needs help themselves feel free to add me.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Is there any sort of quit smoking groups on here? I had a search and can only find threads. Just finished reading Allen Carrs book, had my last cigarette and am now officially a non smoker (hopefully)
    Think other peoples support might help though as ive never tried to quit before and have been smoking about 16 years :(
    Anyone that can help or needs help themselves feel free to add me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/755-quitting-smoking
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) although ive been on here a while now still have prob;ems finding my way about
  • AbbyLynne2246
    Options
    I am over 2 years, no smoking at all. (After quitting 40 times, for 4 years before that!)

another success with Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking!
  • katimari
    katimari Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking over 6 years ago, all because of a book called the easy way to stop smoking by allen carr. I know it sounds crazy but it worked so well for me. I had tried so many things and suffered through periods of not smoking but always returned to it. This book let's you smoke while you read it and you quit on the morning after you finish it. I was able to quit with absolutely no cravings or any symptoms I had previously had. It was amazing. I don't understand how it worked, the entire time I was reading it I didn't think it would work, but here I am over 6 years later and I haven't wanted to smoke once since I read the book.

My dad also read it and stopped smoking after having smoked for over 40 years. Good luck to you!