Gluten Free Fiber??? Anyone Have Suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Fruit and vegetables are good sources of fiber. Beans as others have said.
  • mom2rpkp
    mom2rpkp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten-free for about 4 months, and about 80% for over a year. What helped me most in making the transition was a mindset change. Instead of focusing on what I couldn't have, I thought about what I needed. My body was starving for nutrients because my celiac had been undiagnosed for so long. So I started ADDING green smoothies. A little spinach or kale, a banana, and some frozen peaches or berries, with water in the blender - keeps the fiber. The extra nutrients from fresh vegetables helped me start to feel well enough to get moving and make the other changes I needed to make. It also reset my tastes to desire fresh fruits and veggies again. Then I started to reduce my overall use of grains. Most of the good-tasting wheat flour replacements are not whole grain and don't have much fiber. It was hard, but it has reset my taste buds away from desiring bread-ish things. I keep a loaf of Udi's Gluten-Free whole grain sandwich bread in the freezer for when I'm serving sandwiches to the fam. Other than that, I just don't eat bread. My two daughters are about 80% gluten-free, too. I also reduce my use of other grains because they just make me want more. Great sources of fiber: Flaxseeds (add to GF oats, or in smoothies); sweet potatoes - I make a great frittata with shredded sweet potatoes as the "crust," - beans - lentils. Good luck and remember, that nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels!
  • little_miss_panda
    Options

The trick is NOT to try to simply eat the same as "everybody else" but with substitutes - GF bread, GF pizza, GF cereal. What you really want to do instead is just eat a diet of stuff that is NORMALLY gf. So don't have a GF sandwich, have a stir fry. Don't eat GF pizza, eat chicken and veggies. Don't eat GF chicken noodle soup, have chili (watch store bought or canned, they're thickened with gluten a lot). If you try to substitute instead of changing your diet, you'll 1) have nutritional deficit issues (which is a problem even in a gluten-filled "Standard" diet) and 2) spend your meals missing "real" versions of the not-quite-right-textured food on your plate.

We also recently started an emeals subscription to their "paleo" meal planning thing, every week we get an email with 7 recipes and a shopping list. Paleo is the closest to his wheat-free, legume-free, dairy-free diet, so it works. He's never eaten so many veggies in his life, and we're both noticing a huge difference in our fridge. You might give it a whirl for some ideas, there's a groupon for a huge discount right now.

This. Don't bother with gluten free substitute products. They are nutritionally poor, usually low in fibre, or if they have fibre, it's from psyllium husk which can cause constipation or diarrhoea and stomach cramps. Eat real food - get your fibre from fruit, veg, nuts and seeds. Sweet potato, root veg, potatoes, bananas and quinoa are great sources of carbs and fibre.

If you do want to do gluten free grains, (though personally I'd recommend them only as an occasional food) then you're best going for rice, particularly wild rice, red (camargue) rice or brown rice, and soaking it first. I also like soba noodles occasionally which are made from buckwheat and have a nice nutty flavour (buckwheat is GF despite the word "wheat" being there!) I would limit corn/maize as it's often inflammatory for the gut and us coeliacs and gluten-intolerant types often have gut issues. I'd recommend avoiding dried beans and lentils and other legumes for the same reason, but fresh ones are ok, like green peas, snow peas, French beans, runner beans and fresh edamame.

Oh yeah and flaxseeds are awesome and really versatile - flaxseed meal can be added to lots of things from smoothies to home made burgers. Just be sure to drink enough water.
  • karrieamandakeeps
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I love celiac.com as well. I am fortunate my big sister helps me and is my cheer leader. Recent divorce after 41 years set me back for awhile, now I'm back on track. Have a blessed day. THEMOM
    Thats is why I mentioned it. Its not just for ordering the premade GF food, that a lot people here seem to be against. Like with any food, eat it in moderation. I know that I don't have time to sort out and cook every little morsel that goes in my mouth so I figured the site would be helpful since it does have ""supplements" as well.
  • kristy3119
    kristy3119 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump