Elliptical trainers...

Options
Hi everyone. So I do not own a HRM & am having some trouble determining how to log elliptical training for cals burned. The MFP number seems wayyyy overestimated, whereas the number that comes up on the machine in my gym seems incredibly low for the amount of effort I am exerting. I am wondering how others track elliptical training without a HRM? Or what women who weigh about the same as me burn while training?

Thanks xx

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Before I got an HRM, I would take my heart rate throughout my workout, get an average, and then plug it into this calculator: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
    If you use the heart rate grips on the machine, verify they're accurate by comparing against your pulse.

Make sure you go to the part that says NET calories rather than logging your GROSS calories - MFP's already factored the baseline calories into your calorie allowance for the day.
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I dont have a HRM :sad: but I average between 350-400 cals burned on the eliptical (per the machine's calculations) and mfp says it's 377 per 30 mins on elliptical.... so i say that's close enough for me....
  • subhunter
    subhunter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I finally broke down and bougt one. but before that just take an average like the person above stated. its not great, but its something.
  • wrobes
    wrobes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM and find that the machine generally underestimates the calories when I go really hard on it but over estimates when I am using it just for a warm up to et loose.