Need snack ideas!

Options
Hi,
Anyone want to share your best healthy snacks?

I need some new ones, especially if they involve veggies. But, here's the challenge: While I eat most veggies, I don't really like raw veggies (so no carrot sticks). So I need some other ideas. For example, one friend eats grilled peppers and onions.

Another caveat: must be easy to prepare. I am also open to prepared or frozen food snacks, especially from Trader Joe's.

And no more than 200 cals per serving.

Thanks!

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You say you don't "really like raw veggies", so have you tried other such as green peppers, broccoli, celery, and cucumbers and not liked them or have you written off some vegetables because you don't like others? All of these, at least to me, are good. I'm not a huge raw veggie eater, but I think sometimes we can learn to like things such as I really like cucumbers in vinegar with a little pepper. Very good, low calorie snack for me. Or half a green pepper with some hummus, under 200 calories if you don't overdo it on the hummus.

Don't discount other things that aren't veggies either. A serving of almonds (about 24 almonds) is 160 calories and very filling even for a larger guy like me. Also, I like half an avocado with a little salt and pepper, around 180 calories. Both of these are full of good fats, protein, and fiber.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Brocolli slaw salad

-Brocolli slaw ( the one i choose is broccoli, carrot and pruple cabbage slaw mixed together)
    - Assorted nuts ( i choose pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds)
    - Dried cranberry
    - flax seeds (optional, this is just how i make it)
    - Renees Asian sesame dressing.

Just mix it all together and your done. Its amazing, its all i want to eat. I understand that you dont really like raw veggies, but give it a shot! Cooked veggies dont have as many nutrients, etc.
  • teenafitzpatrick44
    Options
    Here are some yummy snack ideas.

Dip a half a banana in yogurt and roll in granolla and freeze

Dip blueberries in yogut and freeze

Put a big tablespoon of low fat cool whip on graham square crackers ( the green box) and freeze. They taste just like icecream sandwhiches.

Dip 1/4 banana in chocolate and freeze.
  • acelynp2
    acelynp2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This does sound like something I'd like! Thanks! I guess I should clarify--it's the idea of eating a pile of carrot sticks/celery sticks/snap peas etc that is unappealing, not the actual veggie. I love raw veggies in salad.
    But I am considering that the crunch and time to chew a raw veggie is a good snack tool.
    Brocolli slaw salad

-Brocolli slaw ( the one i choose is broccoli, carrot and pruple cabbage slaw mixed together)
    - Assorted nuts ( i choose pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds)
    - Dried cranberry
    - flax seeds (optional, this is just how i make it)
    - Renees Asian sesame dressing.

Just mix it all together and your done. Its amazing, its all i want to eat. I understand that you dont really like raw veggies, but give it a shot! Cooked veggies dont have as many nutrients, etc.
  • ssimmons99
    Options
    I am always on the go - so a Special K Protein Meal Bars - 180 calories with 10 grams of protein - very filling. Great for the am breakfast or 3pm snack.

I really like grilled zuchinni - if you are at home. Super yummy - really low in calories. Green beans - also very filling and super low calories (30 per cup).
  • acelynp2
    acelynp2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have tried all of those. A pile of raw veggies is just not an appealing snack to me. I could do a few with a dip but that's it. Usually I do Greek yogurt or almonds, or triscuits and low fat cheese or a 100 calorie dark chocolate bar with a little peanut butter. But I am pregnant and starving and my doctor thinks I need more veggies in my snacks. She herself apparently ate 5 containers of raw veggies a day when pregnant. The thought made me a little ill. :-)

I don't really need any more fats but your hummus and avocado ideas sound good, if I don't eat those with a meal. And I do think I could get into the cucumber in vinegar.
    Thanks for the ideas!
    You say you don't "really like raw veggies", so have you tried other such as green peppers, broccoli, celery, and cucumbers and not liked them or have you written off some vegetables because you don't like others? All of these, at least to me, are good. I'm not a huge raw veggie eater, but I think sometimes we can learn to like things such as I really like cucumbers in vinegar with a little pepper. Very good, low calorie snack for me. Or half a green pepper with some hummus, under 200 calories if you don't overdo it on the hummus.

Don't discount other things that aren't veggies either. A serving of almonds (about 24 almonds) is 160 calories and very filling even for a larger guy like me. Also, I like half an avocado with a little salt and pepper, around 180 calories. Both of these are full of good fats, protein, and fiber.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This does sound like something I'd like! Thanks! I guess I should clarify--it's the idea of eating a pile of carrot sticks/celery sticks/snap peas etc that is unappealing, not the actual veggie. I love raw veggies in salad.
    But I am considering that the crunch and time to chew a raw veggie is a good snack tool.

You can by the brocolli slaw at Walmart, maybe theres one in your area? I havent checked any other grocery stores yet.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Raw veggies stick dipped in houmous, guacamole, light sour cream and chive, tomato salsa or spread with soft cheese, peanut butter or fish pate. I don't know many people who munch their way through a pile of plain raw veggies as snacks. Various veggies work well in smoothies - spinach, green beans, avocado, pumpkin - hidden by highly nutritious berries.

If you are pregnant and starving eat more nuts and seeds, with fresh or dried fruit for variety. Veggies in any form are unlikely to fill you up or supply enough calories - they are a great source of vitamins and antioxidants but far less useful for minerals which are just as essential.

I rather like a plate of sauteed vegetables covered in some plain Greek yoghurt and topped with grated cheese and/ or chopped nuts. Unless you add some calories to your veggies they really are not going to be appealing.