My what I lovingly call "front butt"

Options
I have some fat around the mid-section but my main concern is my "front butt" . It's a big ol' mass of fat and loose skin on my lower abdomen that just hangs out there all gross. What in the world kind of exercise can I do to lose it? Crunches help upper but what will really blast that away? I am at a loss, no matter what ab exercises I do I can not feel the burn there. Help!

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce. Good old fashioned calories in and out.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Well, if you get your body fat down to what you want, and it is still there---you can always save up for a tummy-tuck. :ohwell:

p.s. I have had the same problem but as I lose body fat, it is shrinking. Try water exercise--it seems to be doing a good job for me.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Not crunches! They don't work the upper or lower abs they work the whole rectus abdominis (six pack) muscle from top to bottom, but that has absolutely nothing to do with burning fat or a flat stomach. You want to work the deep abs to pull you in - Pilates class and it won't burn you may not even feel anything or it might shake a little. High intensity interval cardio to burn the fat, plenty of rest days between. If you have loose skin from pregnancy or losing weight too fast nothing short of surgery may shift it. If the issue is excess fat you need to get your body fat down a lot lower and work on a whole anti stress lifestyle because that is 'fight or flight' fat.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've learned in a nutshell from reading lots of posts here -

Abs are made in the kitchen.
    You can't spot reduce.

In other words, keep losing body fat and eventually your stomach will shrink. You'll never see abs until your body fat percentage gets down to a certain point. Also, make sure you have a good strength-training routine which will help get the body fat % down. Some people here don't do cardio at all, only strength training and they have rockin' bodies to show for it.

Good luck! I'm over halfway to my goal and still have a lot of fat on my stomach that makes me despair at times. :sad:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Not crunches! They don't work the upper or lower abs they work the whole rectus abdominis (six pack) muscle from top to bottom, but that has absolutely nothing to do with burning fat or a flat stomach. You want to work the deep abs to pull you in - Pilates class and it won't burn you may not even feel anything or it might shake a little. High intensity interval cardio to burn the fat, plenty of rest days between. If you have loose skin from pregnancy or losing weight too fast nothing short of surgery may shift it. If the issue is excess fat you need to get your body fat down a lot lower and work on a whole anti stress lifestyle because that is 'fight or flight' fat.

{{{{THIS]}}}
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Oh the infamous muffin top. I found crunches really only work the "6 pack" region and upper abs. Having a lower percentage of body fat and strength training to work the entire core actually make sense.

Here's what I've read is the quickest way to reduce "muffin-top syndrome"

-Do aerobic activity. Slim down so your core workout can show.

-Twist your trunk to trim your core, but avoid this exercise if you suffer low back problems. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and place your hands on your muffin top -- this helps you feel the muscles you want to flex. Using only your waist, turn your upper body from side to side slowly. Repeat this movement for about one minute, or longer if you do not feel a muscle burn.

-Complete at least 15 crunches a day; do more if you can. Lie back on the floor and place your feet against a wall, making a 90-degree angle. This helps focus your muscle movement on your core muscles, according to the MayoClinic.com. Slowly lift your head and shoulders off the floor, then slowly return to the original position. Remember -- this exercise is not about speed but about using those belly muscles.

-Place one foot diagonally behind the other, while standing. Slowly lift your back leg up, raising that heel toward the ceiling, until you feel a slight burn in your gluteal muscle and your muffin top. Repeat this for about one minute then switch sides. This Pilates movement is specifically created to slim down the waist.

-Place an exercise ball against a wall or in a corner to ensure it will not slide out from under you. Sit on the ball with your feet shoulder-width apart, and slowly lean back. When you start to feel your abdominal muscles burn, slowly return to a sitting position using your abdominal muscles, not your head and shoulders.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've learned in a nutshell from reading lots of posts here -

Abs are made in the kitchen.
    You can't spot reduce.

In other words, keep losing body fat and eventually your stomach will shrink. You'll never see abs until your body fat percentage gets down to a certain point. Also, make sure you have a good strength-training routine which will help get the body fat % down. Some people here don't do cardio at all, only strength training and they have rockin' bodies to show for it.

Good luck! I'm over halfway to my goal and still have a lot of fat on my stomach that makes me despair at times. :sad:

This....and consistency, lots of consistency. And time.....lots and lots and lots of time. I'm a mid-30's mom with a 10 and 7 year old, both born by c-section. My lower tummy has always been my problem area and even though I've been at the same weight for the past couple years I still continue to work (and see slow improvement) in the abs area the more I eat well, strength train (lift those heavy weights ladies!), stay consistent with my diet and have oodles of patience. The nice thing about losing the weight slooowwwwwlllllyyyy is that it gives your body time to adjust so you aren't stuck with too much saggy, loose skin. I'm still amazed at how much stomach continues to tighten up as time goes by.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Keep losing fat and you'll eventually lose fat from that "front butt" too. As others have mentioned, you cannot spot reduce. Also, if you are not lifting heavy weights already, that is something that I would recommend. Good luck!

ETA: I admit, I clicked on this thread cause I thought it was about something else. :blushing:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with it too. But I'm just so relieved to be smaller that it is a minor concern. Hopefully, the skin will tighten over time.
  • karrieamandakeeps
    Options
    I think I have a muffin bottom...
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it called a "front butt" before! Hilarious! Mine's turned into an "apron", because like others have said just reducing calories will make it deflate a little lol.

Cardio is actually amazing for the lower abdominal muscles! And consistency with it!

Coolest thing I've discovered are my hip bones... they were hidden under my "front butt" for so long I didn't know they were in there! lol.
  • Off_The_Record
    Options
    I have found that doing "reverse crunches" actually burns lower than average crunches and also doing side crunches... Like everybody else stated, you can't spot reduce, but I like to think that where I'm feeling the burn is where I'll have results..
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

ETA: I admit, I clicked on this thread cause I thought it was about something else. :blushing:

:laugh:
  • inashdeen
    Options
    Uh oh. UP. a big problem for me too.
    I did sit up, twister, jog, bicycle. none manage to spot reduce it. However, as other part of my body reduce, it reduce with them. :)

33594342.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • SmilesIowa
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this question, I've always wondered this myself. I admit,I had this fear that I would lose weight and the lower part of my stomach would stay the same and everything else would shrink lol.
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Having had two abdominal surgeries (not from childbirth) I have this hang as well. I have noticed that as I'm losing, it's hanging more, but I plan to be persistent and patient to see where it goes. Still have 50 lbs to lose and if I continue on my slow and steady loss I'm hoping to see it adjust itself. I know it will never be perfect, but I'm hoping to not have to continually buy shirts that cover down to my crotch, just so you don't see the "hang" in the front of my pants. UGH!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have a front butt too! Join the club. Just keep burning the fat, and eventually it will burn off with the rest of the fat. Unfortunately, we can't choose where our body burns fat. Exercise can strengthen and tone our muscles, so that once the fat is gone, we have a nicer body than we would have if we lost the weight without exercise.
  • DuhhMuffin
    Options
    Hey! Front butt here, too!

I have trouble burning fat around that area, as well. All we can do is keep exercising and eating well, I suppose :D
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section 15 months ago. I had my "front butt" long before that. I'm down 23 lbs, and the front butt is leaving! woot-woot! There IS hope!

I've really not had much time to exercise, and I have terrible genetics, so It's real world possible.