Calories from an egg, what's the difference?

How come it makes a difference in calories depending on how you prepare your egg?
I'm not talking about seperating the egg white from the yellow... that is an obvious difference.
But what I mean is how come the calories for an egg are different when frying it vs. boiling it, or anything else?

When I fry my eggs in a pan, I never use butter or a spray or anything.
So shouldnt that have the same calories as when I boil my egg?

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, which I hope I am.

Replies

• I think the expectation is that you will use some sort of oil in your frying pan. If not, IMO there would be no difference.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    That's why I just use the cals for egg, large and don't specify how it was cooked. If I were going to Perkins and had a fried egg I would use the fried egg ni.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    It shouldn't affect the calories, the database entry could just be from someone who included their oil/butter or whatever into the entry. I always log my eggs as "eggs whole raw" to avoid confusion. If I use oil or something else I'll log it separately.
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Thats a good idea, thanks guys!

I just thought I'd check if others had noticed this or if I was just going insane lol
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Best to go by one egg (70 cals) and then add in how much oil you've used, if any, rather than using the 'scrambled' or 'fried' egg options because they will make assumptions about ingredients and quantities used.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    It is the same thing with toast. A slice of bread should be the same calorie count whether it is toasted or isn't toasted yet there are entries for both. I think it was rye bread I saw but it was awhile ago so don't quote me on that.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    My exact wondering today. I log a scrambled egg even if I have a boiled egg and I wonder if the sodium level is correct. I am still too lazy to look it up. However I eat an egg, my body will process it as it sees fit. It is what it is and not all eggs are equal.