Starvation mode?

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    I have developed a bad habit of not eating regularly, which I have learned has put my body in 'starvation mode'. My normal routine consists of a couple cups of coffee (with sugar free creamer) in the morning, and then a big dinner at night. I will occasionally eat something mid day, but not regularly. I am generally active, but I don't work out (yet). I have tried in the past to eat on a schedule (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) but I have ALWAYS gained weight, which of course makes me stop the routine! Are there any tips on how I can get into a routine of eating regularly, especially when I don't feel hungry, and still lose weight?

HI There,

Your body goes into starvation mode when you 1.) Don't eat enough calories and 2.) skip meals. It sounds like you are skipping breakfast and just having coffee in the morn. Try to eat at least every 3-4 hours. Ex.) Mini meals + 3 healthy snacks. This will help keep your metabolism steady and prevent it from slowing down. Keeping a food journal and planning your meals ahead of time also helps. Adding exercise will only help you lose weight faster. Make sure your calories are never below 1200 per day either. Keep in mind it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1 lb of body fat. I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, so if you need more help you can friend me.

I skip breakfast occasionally and make up for it on other meals and sometimes I don't make up for it at all. How do you explain my 71lbs lost Ms. Dietitian/Nutritionist?

What are you eating now compared to what you used to eat? that may have something to do with it too. ;)
  • CoachReddy
    Took the words out of my mouth. Thank you!
    Eating that amount of calories in one sitting when not eating anything else throughout the day WILL store it as fat. It's science. It will also create a slippery slope with binge eating. I have been guilty of it myself; wouldn't eat all day, just drink coffee, small lunch (of doritos..) and then when dinner came around I would be craving carbs wrapped in carbs with a carb filling topped with cheese and bacon. It's tough to break bad habits like that, but well worth the effort.

You need to go back to science class.

what are your credentials?

and damn what's with the attitude? she's just trying to help.
  • I have developed a bad habit of not eating regularly, which I have learned has put my body in 'starvation mode'. My normal routine consists of a couple cups of coffee (with sugar free creamer) in the morning, and then a big dinner at night. I will occasionally eat something mid day, but not regularly. I am generally active, but I don't work out (yet). I have tried in the past to eat on a schedule (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) but I have ALWAYS gained weight, which of course makes me stop the routine! Are there any tips on how I can get into a routine of eating regularly, especially when I don't feel hungry, and still lose weight?

HI There,

Your body goes into starvation mode when you 1.) Don't eat enough calories and 2.) skip meals. It sounds like you are skipping breakfast and just having coffee in the morn. Try to eat at least every 3-4 hours. Ex.) Mini meals + 3 healthy snacks. This will help keep your metabolism steady and prevent it from slowing down. Keeping a food journal and planning your meals ahead of time also helps. Adding exercise will only help you lose weight faster. Make sure your calories are never below 1200 per day either. Keep in mind it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1 lb of body fat. I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, so if you need more help you can friend me.

I skip breakfast occasionally and make up for it on other meals and sometimes I don't make up for it at all. How do you explain my 71lbs lost Ms. Dietitian/Nutritionist?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member

If someone can point me to definitive research done by an unbiased source that talks about IF being healthier than regular meals, I'll definitely read it. :)

Yeah, just like "if you point me to research done by an unbiased source that talks about 4-6 meals being healthier than IF, I'll read it.

Wait. No, I won't. There is so much stuff about nutrition/meal timing/blah blah blah

The main problem HERE - is that people are desparate. You and I are not. I've been on this site for five+ years. You really have to let people find their way. Your way will work. So will the other way. But we all have to Kumbaya. So that's all I have to say about that.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    I have developed a bad habit of not eating regularly, which I have learned has put my body in 'starvation mode'. My normal routine consists of a couple cups of coffee (with sugar free creamer) in the morning, and then a big dinner at night. I will occasionally eat something mid day, but not regularly. I am generally active, but I don't work out (yet). I have tried in the past to eat on a schedule (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) but I have ALWAYS gained weight, which of course makes me stop the routine! Are there any tips on how I can get into a routine of eating regularly, especially when I don't feel hungry, and still lose weight?

HI There,

What are you eating now compared to what you used to eat? that may have something to do with it too. ;)

Not really. I know I'm not in starvation mode. Based on what her answer to the question was...let me quote... "Your body goes into starvation mode when you 1.) Don't eat enough calories and 2.) skip meals." So if I skip meals, I go into starvation mode." AKA If you skip meals. I call bull**** on that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Eating that amount of calories in one sitting when not eating anything else throughout the day WILL store it as fat. It's science. It will also create a slippery slope with binge eating. I have been guilty of it myself; wouldn't eat all day, just drink coffee, small lunch (of doritos..) and then when dinner came around I would be craving carbs wrapped in carbs with a carb filling topped with cheese and bacon. It's tough to break bad habits like that, but well worth the effort.

Not true...well, maybe for you. But not for everyone. The carbs thing - once you start, it's hard to stop - but that isn't an effect of not eating for 18 hours.
  • CoachReddy

Not really. I know I'm not in starvation mode. Based on what her answer to the question was...let me quote... "Your body goes into starvation mode when you 1.) Don't eat enough calories and 2.) skip meals." So if I skip meals, I go into starvation mode." AKA If you skip meals. I call bull**** on that.

please relax.

no, it's not as simple as the way she stated it, but if someone used to eating 5,000 calories (not ridiculous with american diets) suddenly drops to 1,200 for a prolonged period of time, their body will start storing fat.

what would you call that?
  • saraann4
    Took the words out of my mouth. Thank you!

You need to go back to science class.

what are your credentials?

and damn what's with the attitude? she's just trying to help.

I don't have any credentials. I can eat one gigantic meal and still lose weight. Oh and it won't make me store fat. Everyone can.

"Eating that amount of calories in one sitting when not eating anything else throughout the day WILL store it as fat. It's science" Research. Please.
  • saraann4
    Starvation mode. Goodness gracious! Can it end already? Are you anorexic? If not, probably not starvation mode. Are you eating more than 1200 calories a day? Then, no you aren't going into this so called starvation mode where your body thinks it doesn't know when it's going to eat again and stores fat blah blah blah. Have you ever skipped breakfast? Starvation mode!! NO! Will you most likely make up for those calories? Uh yeah.

A lot of people who believe in this starvation mode need to look up the word and images of starvation.

People do stall out with their weight.

Agreed, but it's probably not because of "starvation mode"

My second post on this topic explains why it happens, it's not starvation mode, it's water retention due to a deficit that's too large for you. It's called Dieters Edema.

I definately believe in water rentention. I agree with you there, but we are talking about a completely different thing.
  • I have developed a bad habit of not eating regularly, which I have learned has put my body in 'starvation mode'. My normal routine consists of a couple cups of coffee (with sugar free creamer) in the morning, and then a big dinner at night. I will occasionally eat something mid day, but not regularly. I am generally active, but I don't work out (yet). I have tried in the past to eat on a schedule (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) but I have ALWAYS gained weight, which of course makes me stop the routine! Are there any tips on how I can get into a routine of eating regularly, especially when I don't feel hungry, and still lose weight?

HI There,

My confidence in the curriculum for dieticians/nutritionists just fell a few notches.

Agreed. Evidently there is no basic physiology education, or an 'F' grade was achieved.
  • saraann4

please relax.

no, it's not as simple as the way she stated it, but if someone used to eating 5,000 calories (not ridiculous with american diets) suddenly drops to 1,200 for a prolonged period of time, their body will start storing fat.

I've been at 1200 calories since April. Was eating fast food for 3x times a day. Currently not eating fast food. Am I in starvation mode? Curious at what your point is
  • CoachReddy

please relax.

I've been at 1200 calories since April. Was eating fast food for 3x times a day. Currently not eating fast food. Am I in starvation mode? Curious at what your point is

has your weight loss been constant since that time? or has it ever slowed? plateaued?
  • saraann4

please relax.

has your weight loss been constant since that time? or has it ever slowed? plateaued?

It has remained consistent. What gives? Am I the odd ball? Nooo.
  • CoachReddy

please relax.

haha come on, no need to be defensive! we're all on the same team. we're all trying to improve ourselves - why do so many people on these sites insist on tearing others down? pretty sad frankly.

hey, if it's working for you, more power to you. if it continues to work indefinitely i'll be surprised, but i'll also be wrong - and if that's the case i'll be glad to be wrong because you'll be a healthier version of yourself - and that's the goal.

5 or 6 meals is my way of doing it (and it's worked pretty well as you can see), 1 meal is yours. let's agree to disagree. :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

please relax.

What does eating fast food have to do with it??????
  • PikaKnight

Let it be noted that the topic was probably started by a troll....and also states that they supposedly had gastric bypass surgery.
  • PikaKnight

please relax.

haha come on, no need to be defensive! we're all on the same team. we're all trying to improve ourselves - why do so many people on these sites insist on tearing others down? pretty sad frankly.

hey, if it's working for you, more power to you. if it continues to work indefinitely i'll be surprised, but i'll also be wrong - and if that's the case i'll be glad to be wrong because you'll be a healthier version of yourself - and that's the goal.

5 or 6 meals is my way of doing it (and it's worked pretty well as you can see), 1 meal is yours. let's agree to disagree. :)

What he said about if it works for you.

I know 1200 didn't work for me. I was constantly weak and now have issues from trying to cut down way too fast and eating below my BMR. Did it for a couple years and now I wish I had been more educated about things.

Now that I have the right TDEE, I have a lot more energy and am healthier. If anything, the intensity of my workouts and the length of time I can do them increased so much when I stopped trying to stay around 1100-1200 cals.
  • saraann4

please relax.

I wasn't being defensive. I was just stating the facts of myself. 5-6 meals is a little ridiculous to ME, but then again I like a big dinner. My mom eat 2-3 meals a day. She eats cookies for "breakfast" around 3pm then has dinner at 7pm and has a snack at 9pm. She loses weight. It's whatever works for you and remaind under your calorie deficict.

To me, I like to keep my breakfast light (or skip it altogether), light lunch, and big dinner. I don't store fat by skipping breakfast. I've lost 71lbs so far. As long as you remain a calorie deficit. You are golden.
  • saraann4

please relax.

What does eating fast food have to do with it??????

"no, it's not as simple as the way she stated it, but if someone used to eating 5,000 calories "

I was probably eating that much.