Options

Replies

• 2pupsmama
    Options
    bump
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    how does it define 'healthy?' because there is no one food that is inherently unhealthy.
    5e75127e132dd772d5690399b691a022.jpg

^^^ This seems inherently unhealthy ^^^^

While I find that imagine downright revolting (I'm not a fan of donuts, and haven't eaten meat in over a decade), assuming (1) that thing isn't laced with something highly toxic, (2) that your overall diet is healthy, and (3) that you do not eat things like that with anything resembling regularity, I have not seen any evidence that eating part, or even all of that is going to do significant damage to your body.

I'm having a numbering day, clearly.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    how does it define 'healthy?' because there is no one food that is inherently unhealthy.

While I find that imagine downright revolting (I'm not a fan of donuts, and haven't eaten meat in over a decade), assuming (1) that thing isn't laced with something highly toxic, (2) that your overall diet is healthy, and (3) that you do not eat things like that with anything resembling regularity, I have not seen any evidence that eating part, or even all of that is going to do significant damage to your body.

I'm having a numbering day, clearly.
    Plus, protein, iron and other vitamins and minerals in the beef.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    This ^^^

Whenever I hear an ad or news story or "expert" claim that something is "healthy" or "unhealthy" in a blanket fashion, they lose total credibility. Healthy is relative. Believe it or not, there are times when what is appropriate is a quick shot of simple carbs. But I'm guessing the app won't know that.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Fooducate is a great app I have been using it for a couple of years

some other good apps
    * Ismoothrun (with bluetooth heart rate monitor) (syncs to runkeeper)
    * runkeeper (with withings body fat scale
    * sleepcycle (syncs sleep to run keeper)

how can you tell that contains synthetic trans fat just from the photo?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    why is a donut, an egg, some bacon and some beef unhealthy? I might not combine them like that. but say you have an egg and bacon for breakfast, a donut maybe as a mid-morning snack and some ground beef at dinner. doesn't seem all that unhealthy to me. unless, of course, this is what you are living on three meals a day. that's where the amount of ____ food comes in.

you can still eat ice cream and chocolate and be perfectly healthy.
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Have it, quit using it, deleted it.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    It is my humble opinion that this app is as useful as that app that simulates the user is snorting cocaine.

I don't need an app to tell me that food either healthy or not healthy. If I can chew it, swallow it, and at some point, poop out the parts I don't use, then it's healthy food.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Ok so I searched fooducate in the App Store w/o success. Any tips on searching at it appears several of u have this app therefore it does exist. Any chance this is android only, not Apple?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So basically it reads the label for you?

The app goes into more detail and breaks down the ingredients that you may not understand. It also gives you healthier alternatives. Its more of a tool to help educate you. Makes you really think about what you're eating.

But nice sarcastic rude quip.

You realize you just gave the definition of reading, right?
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

The app goes into more detail and breaks down the ingredients that you may not understand. It also gives you healthier alternatives. Its more of a tool to help educate you. Makes you really think about what you're eating.

Just because you read something does not mean you understand it. The app helps with confusing ingredients that you may not know are unhealthy. I think this app is helpful for when I am at the grocery store and want to quickly see what exactly is in a product and to see if its worth buying
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I like the feature where after you pinch one off you can scan it and it will tell you what you need to add to your diet....... I mean lifestyle. It's not a diet.

I like you.

That's the most shocking thing I've read in the MFP forums all day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Have it, quit using it, deleted it.

Oh, and this^.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Just because something fits your macros doesn't mean its healthy in the long run guys.
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    Everybody panic!

lol indeed
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ........................ would not mind an app if it could scan it and tell me in BIGGER letters what is in it............. most of the time the labels are printed so tiny I can't read them! Getting older sucks and I don't care to take reading glasses with me everyplace I go, then have to take them on and of and on and off just to read what may be in the food I buy. An app that you could put ingredients in you are trying to avoid would be nice to have, scan it, it can quickly tell you if those are in it or not, and move on. I don't like to stand in the store and have to read all the labels to see what they may have put in it that I don't care to eat.........

I keep a small magnifying glass in my handbag. Not joking! I find the small print annoying. Get a few strange looks when shopping. :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Just because you read something does not mean you understand it. The app helps with confusing ingredients that you may not know are unhealthy. I think this app is helpful for when I am at the grocery store and want to quickly see what exactly is in a product and to see if its worth buying

Oh, I get it. You separate reading from comprehension. To me, these skills are one and the same, but I guess that's just my personal preference.
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That app is the shiz! Thanks for sharing!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Not available in my country, I'm jusy going to have to read and rely on my ability to function as an adult instead of rely on a database.

Why does nobody suspect the OP is just pushing a product?