I'm ready to do this! have a few questions!

Options
i just watched this show on 20/20 about people losing weight and I realized I've come too far to give up, I started a resolution last Year and by December I lost 40 pounds. I'm only 25 away from my goal weight which I want to lose iby June, but I've been feeling so unmotivated until I saw this show and I'm ready to start! my questions are, I'm a vegetarian but sadly don't like many veggies, would it be bad or good if I made smoothies with veggies and fruit homemade?? would mostly fruit and veg smoothies be bad?? and what are good exercises that work really well? I know I need to stay in a caloric deficit, so I'm thinking 1200 a day. should I buy mostly fruit and veggies??

Replies

• xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    fruit and veggies are always good, but I'd definitely add some protein sources too (greek yogurt, eggs, milk etc.)
    personally, i'd probably get bored just eating fruits and veggies for five months (although I love them)

you should try having a balanced diet, as long as it fits your macros you don't really have to worry about it (apparently)

as far as exercising goes - a lot of running is working well for me, but lots of people swear on zumba, weight lifting etc.. entirely depends on you though.

good luck!
  • your probably right, would you suggest I just pick healthy things at the store?? and Zuma really?? cause I'm thinking of doing a dance video!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Do the green smoothie thing..they're great. google green smoothie girl and read.
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    are you vegan? if you are vegan...you could eat soy and tofu...or legumes...you have alot of alternatives to fruits and vegetables...google a vegan diet ...
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for years. When I first started I did not like most vegetables, but I am slowly adjusting my taste buds. Smoothies are fine as long as you consume them in moderation. They are often very high in sugar and low in protein. The best suggestion I have for you is to start experimenting. I try to prepare a new recipe every week using whole foods. For example, today I had roasted asparagus spears with garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper. It was so good, but I found that when prepared this way, the farther down the stalk I got the less I liked it, while when I made an asparagus and barley risotto, I enjoyed every part of the asparagus. In other words, if you prepare a dish and end up not liking the vegetables, try making them a different way next time, but don't give up. There are so many different ways to prepare vegetables and so many different combinations that you really just have to keep experimenting until you find what is right for you. I have discovered a passion for cooking that I never knew I had! My only problem is that I live with a "meat and potatoes" eater that refuses to try even a bit of what I cook and it mostly dates back to the memory of a bad experience.....like everything else, it is all a mind game. Your taste buds will change. If you grew up eating nothing but fresh whole foods then had someone give you a slice of greasy pizza, you probably wouldn't like it. Feel free to add me as a friend and check out my food diary. I only just started a blog on here, but I will be posting updates with recipe experiments, too.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i just watched this show on 20/20 about people losing weight and I realized I've come too far to give up, I started a resolution last Year and by December I lost 40 pounds. I'm only 25 away from my goal weight which I want to lose iby June, but I've been feeling so unmotivated until I saw this show and I'm ready to start! my questions are, I'm a vegetarian but sadly don't like many veggies, would it be bad or good if I made smoothies with veggies and fruit homemade?? would mostly fruit and veg smoothies be bad?? and what are good exercises that work really well? I know I need to stay in a caloric deficit, so I'm thinking 1200 a day. should I buy mostly fruit and veggies??

you don't pull your daily calorie goal out of thin air.

you calculate it using the BM/TDEE equations or you let MFP calculate it for you.

those numbers are based on age, height, weight, gender, and activity level at a bare minimum.

choosing too low a number with no basis in the calculations is a good way to set yourself up for failure.