Gastric By

I was wondering if anyone knows the exact liquid diet regiment that people who had the gastric bypass surgery have to follow? I have tried all the recommendations made by dieticians but I can't seem to lose the weight that I have put on. If anything that diets that the dieticians have suggested do the opposite and I seem to be packing on more weight.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    I was wondering if anyone knows the exact liquid diet regiment that people who had the gastric bypass surgery have to follow? I have tried all the recommendations made by dieticians but I can't seem to lose the weight that I have put on. If anything that diets that the dieticians have suggested do the opposite and I seem to be packing on more weight.

Why don't you try following MFP and eating at a sensible defict, doing a bit of exercise first before trying fads.

Doing an extreme diet isn't going to teach you good eating habits for the future and as soon as you go back to normal eating you will put the weight back on, again.

you need to make your normal eat pattern healthy and sustainable for the rest of your life, not keep yo-yo dieting.

http://www.cnn.co.uk/2010/HEALTH/04/20/crash.diets.harm.health/index.html
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    You should see a doctor. Are you looking to be a candidate for gastric bypass?
  • I'm going to try and lose at least some weight before I talk to my doctor about the surgical option. I have PCOS, which makes it incredibly difficult to lose weight. It is getting a bit depressing that even with following the recommended daily calorie-intake and seen a dietician to help but so far, it just seems to maintain the weight I'm at now.

I would like to try other options including the diet that people on the gastric bypass go on to lose the weight while in recovery, before I talk to my doctor about my own candidacy for it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I'm going to try and lose at least some weight before I talk to my doctor about the surgical option. I have PCOS, which makes it incredibly difficult to lose weight. It is getting a bit depressing that even with following the recommended daily calorie-intake and seen a dietician to help but so far, it just seems to maintain the weight I'm at now.

I would like to try other options including the diet that people on the gastric bypass go on to lose the weight while in recovery, before I talk to my doctor about my own candidacy for it.

Why do you have to lose weight BEFORE seeing him regarding your candidacy to have gastric bypass? Sorry I just don't understand this.
  • amjmom
    amjmom Posts: 32
    What do you have MFP set on. If you are not losing with it set at 1 lbs try setting it for 1.5 lbs of weightloss in your goals and also as far as protein and fiber. The numbers on here are the minimum a person should have. My doctor said to eat alot more of those and more protein and fiber will help you lose more.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    What do you have MFP set on. If you are not losing with it set at 1 lbs try setting it for 1.5 lbs of weightloss in your goals and also as far as protein and fiber. The numbers on here are the minimum a person should have. My doctor said to eat alot more of those and more protein and fiber will help you lose more.

She/he hasn't had time to lose weight with MFP unless she had another handle because they've only been a member for less than a week!
  • I did have another accout and I just decided to start over. But thank you for the advice. I'll definately adjust my protein and fibres! I never thought about that. :D
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I'm going to try and lose at least some weight before I talk to my doctor about the surgical option. I have PCOS, which makes it incredibly difficult to lose weight. It is getting a bit depressing that even with following the recommended daily calorie-intake and seen a dietician to help but so far, it just seems to maintain the weight I'm at now.

Pcos can make it difficult to lose weight but it can be done. Your main concern should be watching carbs... many pcos people need to eat under 100g of carbs a day... while most if not all those carbs coming from veggies or fruit.
  • I'm going to try and lose at least some weight before I talk to my doctor about the surgical option. I have PCOS, which makes it incredibly difficult to lose weight. It is getting a bit depressing that even with following the recommended daily calorie-intake and seen a dietician to help but so far, it just seems to maintain the weight I'm at now.

Pcos can make it difficult to lose weight but it can be done. Your main concern should be watching carbs... many pcos people need to eat under 100g of carbs a day... while most if not all those carbs coming from veggies or fruit.

Thank you!!! I really appreciate hearing this. It just seems like no matter how hard I try to get myself onto a healthy eating regiment, it seems to be doing the exact opposite. All I was ever told was to eat according to Canada's Food Guide and do heavy exercise, i.e. tae bo, kick boxing, etc. Do you know any websites or books to get more information about eating right for PCOS?
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    I would ask in one of the dedicated WLS groups on MFP than in this main forum - we WL surgical folks are ranked right up there with traffic wardens and paedos on this website.
  • psuLemon

Thank you!!! I really appreciate hearing this. It just seems like no matter how hard I try to get myself onto a healthy eating regiment, it seems to be doing the exact opposite. All I was ever told was to eat according to Canada's Food Guide and do heavy exercise, i.e. tae bo, kick boxing, etc. Do you know any websites or books to get more information about eating right for PCOS?

There is a group on here that is all pcos'ers. Go under groups, type in pcos and one should pop up. They have a ton of good info and success stories. I am a guy so i cant help out much more than that.
  • LOL. I doubt that!!! Even if it is true, from what I've read and seen on everyone that's commented on my lowly little post has done stellar with their weight loss goals. I can only hope that I can accomplish what you all have!!!!
  • psuLemon
    Btw, if you learn what to eat with pcos, then you can advert yourself from having to get gastric bypass and you will see greater long term results.
  • Thank you!!! Surgery is honestly the final option. I'm really hoping to lose weight the natural way. I'll give it 12-months and hopefully I can at least lose 20 lbs in that time frame!
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    The liquid diet GBP patients follow before surgery is primarily to shrink the liver - rid it of as much fat as possible so the surgery can be done safely. A large liver risks being nicked and bleeding during surgery. And this diet is very short term - 2-3-4 weeks depending on the patient's starting weight.

Those shakes can only be obtained through a bariatric clinic. At least here in Canada they're not available by other means - meaning you can't buy them at a store.

The liquid diet after GBP is for approx. 2 weeks time & consists mainly of small quantities of protein shakes. This wouldn't be realistic to follow because a GBP patient's stomach right after surgery is the size of a thumb because it's still very swollen.

Have you considered seeing a dietician who can help with what you should eat to lose weight with PCOS?
  • Thank you, I'll definately read it!!!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    edit: II asked if you already had the surgery, but then read the other posts. Whoops!
    So sorry to hear you're struggling to lose weight, but don't give up :)
  • The liquid diet GBP patients follow before surgery is primarily to shrink the liver - rid it of as much fat as possible so the surgery can be done safely. A large liver risks being nicked and bleeding during surgery. And this diet is very short term - 2-3-4 weeks depending on the patient's starting weight.

Those shakes can only be obtained through a bariatric clinic. At least here in Canada they're not available by other means - meaning you can't buy them at a store.

The liquid diet after GBP is for approx. 2 weeks time & consists mainly of small quantities of protein shakes. This wouldn't be realistic to follow because a GBP patient's stomach right after surgery is the size of a thumb because it's still very swollen.

Have you considered seeing a dietician who can help with what you should eat to lose weight with PCOS?

I'm definately going to go and see a dietician. Just another one this time. I can't believe that she would knowingly give me nutritional advice based on the nutritional needs of a healthy body instead of the PCOS one.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    I love Dr. Weil. I'd recommend doing a search on his website (drweil.com) to see if he has any advice for eating with PCOS. His approach is always food based - diet to cure what ails you. He might be a good resource.

My doctor's receptionist also has PCOS & was told by a dietician to lose 20lbs but wasn't given good advice on HOW to do that. Sadly I think this requires A LOT of research into finding the right person to help. You'd think it would be part of dietician training/education.

Best of luck :)