Workout at home,,,what do you do?

Options
Just looking for some ideas off others..I enjoy working out at home as I actually find I get more done and more often than going the gym, i'm a college student so working out in my apart often suits my routine better

just wondering what dvds out there people use for a healthy cardio/strength routine

Was thinking of starting julian michaels but its just a 30 day and i'd rather use one thats a bit more balanced, i'm afraid with julian michaels ill put any weight i loose back on again after the 3o days...

Also really looking to work my upper tummer which seems to be holding on to fat :(..advice appreciated :)

Replies

• 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom and I work full time, also I have no desire to go to the gym for 2 hours. I lost all my weigh from mfp and working out at home.

I bought a cheap, used elliptical. Also I bought the Jillian michaels DVDs. They are great! I did 30 day shred to start, but I did it twice. The first time I did the modified moves with 3 pound weights. Then I did the advanced moves with 5 pound weights. You get what you give in her videos, you can do them over and per again if you just push yourself harder and increase your weights. Then I moved on to ripped in 30, I spent 10-14 days on each level, instead of her recommended week. Again you can do this video more than once. 6 week 6 pack is great as well. Now I've made my own work out routine, with a lot of her exercises incorporated. P90x is a great one too.

Regardless of what you choose to do, you won't find something you can stick with forever. You'll have to mix it up anyway. I highly suggest Jillian michaels, she has lots of videos and I've had nothing but great results!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There are DVD's YouTube and google body weight exercise....
    Also, there are sneaky ways to exercise...like a mini-trampoline watching TV...things likt that.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Most of what I do at home is POP Pilates which is on YouTube.
    I've also done JM's 30 Day Shred which is a lot of fun. :) I also have a few Pilates, Yoga, Aerobics and Belly Dancing workout DVDs :)
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells, balance ball, weighted hula hoop, dumbells. When I'm feeling lazy or sick I get on the gazelle.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    check out nerd fitness.com
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    When I'm at home, it's situps etc, and also walking up and down stairs. I live in an apartment block with 5 floors, so nipping up from the ground floor to the top I find a good, quick way to get my heart beating. Do it a few times a day, speeding up if I can every now and then.
  • linsey76A
    linsey76A Posts: 102
    Options
    for work outs at home i use : My Fitness Trainer for the Wii, also jogging and walking on the treadmill, aerobic dancing(w/ weights) also crunches and squats and that sort of thing. i just got my new elliptical machine so now i am excited to start that today, i missed my old one lol
  • MissSmily
    MissSmily Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use Chalene Extreme, Turbo Fire, Turbo Jam, Spinning DVD with my spinning bike and walking outside!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am at home all day. I did 30 day shred using You Tube. I got myself a set of heavy dumbell weights and got an experienced pal to put together a full body strength routine which I do 3 times a week. I also am lucky to have a treadmill to do HIIT on lifting days too. On non lifting days I stick to active recovery heart rate routine either on treadmill or a good walk. If I didn't have the treadmill I would probably cycle for the cardio. It can be done.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use the "You are Your Own Gym" app, which is lots of bodyweight exercises that don't require any equipment.
  • getphit09
    getphit09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I just started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred ...again. I change up with other DVD's as well like Turbo Jam, Laila Ali/Sugar Ray Leonard Boxing, Step Aerobics, Zumba (i could go on and on). I like variety and don't like to get bored in my workout. I may not do the same DVD everyday but I do a DVD 3-4 times a week AND because walking is my primary exercise, it is done at least 5 days per week. I own a bunch of DVD's .... some are good, some are bad ...I kept on until i found what DVD motivates me to get moving.
    Hope this helps!
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have some Jillian Michaels DVDs, Insanity and Zumba sets. I am currently doing Zumba and I love it!!!
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    check out nerd fitness.com
    ^ This
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I check out workout DVDs from the library. Bob Harper's are my favorite because they mix in slightly heavy weights and cardio.
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Push-ups, plank, squats, lunge, variations of those with dumbbells. Dumbbell squats too. Pull ups too but you've obviously got to have a bar for that. Burpees too.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to stop after 30 days? I've been using (mainly) Jillian Michaels DVDs for about a year now. I mostly switch around between Killer Buns and Thighs, Ripped in 30, Extreme Shed and Shred, and Kickbox Fast Fix. Whatever gets you burning calories!
  • Fit_Is_Fabulous
    Fit_Is_Fabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Benderfitness.com is great for days I have to stay home
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Just looking for some ideas off others..I enjoy working out at home as I actually find I get more done and more often than going the gym, i'm a college student so working out in my apart often suits my routine better

just wondering what dvds out there people use for a healthy cardio/strength routine

Was thinking of starting julian michaels but its just a 30 day and i'd rather use one thats a bit more balanced, i'm afraid with julian michaels ill put any weight i loose back on again after the 3o days...

Also really looking to work my upper tummer which seems to be holding on to fat :(..advice appreciated :)

Trust me you will not put the weight back on after doing 30 Day Shred!! For one, you'll love the results so much you'll want to do another Jillian DVD or do the 30 DS again!! I did 30 DS, Ripped In 30, and I'm doing 6 Week 6 Pack now. After this I'll probably do another one!! The results are fantastic.

As for me, I've never belonged to a gym. I have a free weights at home and run outside. I've been the same weight since high school!! My secret? It's not working out....it's clean eating. No amount of working out will make up for a bad diet. Focus on that first, because if you don't get that right you'll be spinning your wheels.
  • sandra152
    Options
    I do around 100 sit ups a day for my upper and lower tummy area And i have a mini exercise bike witch I use wile watching TV
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I walk/run to and from work 5 days a week (3-mile round trip). A brisk pace with a little running for 10-20 seconds here and there pushes my heart rate higher and gives a higher burn than many of my workout DVDs! I also rotate through about 35 workout DVDs a few mornings a week of different lengths and intensities. The Jillian Michaels ones kick my butt the hardest! I've never "done" the 30DS, Ripped in 30, etc., exclusively for the 30 days. I just mix those workouts randomly with all of my others. Mixing it up and keeping the body guessing has given me great results, also avoiding boredom and injury.