About FOUR years in maintenance! WOO! :)

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Well here I am, coming up on four years after I reached my goal weight. January 15, 2009 is that official date. I started the "change" in September of 2007. So I've been at this way of doing things for some time now.

There is a quote I saw that says if you "If you focus on results you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results." I can honestly say that is how I succeeded. I had failed so many times before and knew I had to do this a different way. By educating myself and not comparing myself to anyone else as we are all different. Our bodies cannot do exactly the same thing as another person. Same as our fingerprints are different so is the way we will respond to certain things. So you need to find what works for you.

I have had some challenges over the past few years. The same week I met my goal weight in 2009, I found out I was pregnant with my second child. I kept consistent. I gained about 30 pounds. It was all in my boobs and belly! haha! And it came back off after. Also, at 6 months pregnant I decided to leave my husband. I went through a separation/divorce (not a pretty one)...through a third trimester or pregnancy, newborn, toddler....TWO little boys and no family around to help. And I remained consistent. And I've kept the weight off.

I've actually experimented a bit. I've felt too skinny there for awhile. An amazing change that happened is that stress makes me not be able to eat now. I don't know how that happened! lol! But it is what it is. And I've had holiday fun and my clothes get a bit tight...but I "detox/cleanse" and get rid of the bloat and move forward. I'm living life and not letting food control it anymore.

I do love exercise and am somewhat fierce on the elliptical! I can only get to the gym about three days but I do about 115 minutes at the highest level and burn 1500 + cals each time. I used to hate exercise. Go figure!!

So the common theme in this is change. I truly changed my way of thinking and living. The biggest realization that helped me was seeing that it doesn't have to be all or nothing and that I can be in control of this. Holidays..New Years splurging does not mean I need to eat like that every day. In fact eating healthier makes me feel a lot better.

I wrote a thread awhile back about how I did it. For those that haven't read it and are interested.....please check out The Keys to My Success.

I actually saw myself on TV yesterday. They were talking about My Fitness Pal on The Today Show...and showed the login page where my face is as a testimonial. It was a bit of a trip but fun! :)

So keep on keepin on! Just keep moving forward despite any slip ups. Those are all valuable and teach you how to gain control of this. So you slip up, eat crap...then get back on track. That is a HUGE part of why I've been successful. Knowing I have the knowledge and understanding to keep moving forward.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Tami

Replies

• ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is amazing and very inspirational! Congratulations to you for maintaining for 4 years!
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    thanks for that! i love how you look at changing rather than results
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Wow!! You really rock and are a true inspiration!!! Congrats!
  • Nanook8
    Nanook8 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Needed to hear this inspiring story as I somewhat failed in my maintenance mode and gained back 20+ pounds of the 50 I lost. Now that the "new" clothes I bought after weight loss are starting to feel tight, I have recommitted as I am not going to buy more big clothes! I learned that I cannot stop logging what I eat as it is too easy to keep packing on the pounds. Kudos to you and good luck on your continued journey!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get there. Losing is the hardest thing for me but along the way I have given up my biggest weaknesses and have learned to looove healthy food. Change was my key too and learning how to jump back on the horse. Here I am finally normal weight range wishing now to get to my ideal weight which I have never, ever seen. I cannot wait for it. It feels amazing.

Oh and congrats to you, it is a very huge accomplishment indeed!! :)
  • DizzieLizzie779
    Options
    Awesome! Great job!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year and Congratulations on Maintaining Your Goal! Thanks for always being an inspiration and a voice for healthy eating/living!
  • DaphneMay81
    Options
    Congratulations, this is really inspirational.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    What an awesome story!! I found "The Keys to My Success" a great read too. Here it is: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81336-the-keys-to-my-success?hl=the+keys+to+my+success
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on another year! Tami, you are truly an inspiration here. Thank you for succeeding and giving all of us the courage to succeed as well!

Donna

Mary Williamson: “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won’t feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in all of us. And when we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    chop chop
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    Tami! I love it when you post. The story is a great one: you're one of the people here I really admire. I miss the good old days of the forums, but I'm glad to have been able to keep some old friends on my friend list. It keeps me grounded, and lets me know there are others who have learned and are thriving.

Many hugs .....we actually have one degree of separation on boobie hugs - you and I both hugged arewethereyet. :wink:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Thank you for telling your story. I'm a little worried about maintenance mode (not that I'm there yet)
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your post. You an truly an inspiration! I love your determination and drive and the fact that you did this while being a single parent going through a divorce. You a winner and a beautiful person inside and out. Stay positive and thank you for encouraging us.
  • marciat100
    marciat100 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I actually saw myself on TV yesterday. They were talking about My Fitness Pal on The Today Show...and showed the login page where my face is as a testimonial. It was a bit of a trip but fun! :)

Congratulations! Your story inspire all of us.

Please, do you have the link to your TV interview?

Thanks
  • TamTastic
    Options

Congratulations! Your story inspire all of us.

Please, do you have the link to your TV interview?

Thanks

Hi. I wasn't actually having an interview. They just showed the website on the Today Show. And my photo was there on the page they showed since I'm a testimonial. Haha! I would totally do an interview if they asked me! :)
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Tami! I love it when you post. The story is a great one: you're one of the people here I really admire. I miss the good old days of the forums, but I'm glad to have been able to keep some old friends on my friend list. It keeps me grounded, and lets me know there are others who have learned and are thriving.

Many hugs .....we actually have one degree of separation on boobie hugs - you and I both hugged arewethereyet. :wink:
    Haha! Awesome! And thank you so much!! I miss the good old days sometimes too!!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I'm so glad my posts are helpful to everyone!! I know seeing someone be successful in maintenance is helpful!
  • aksunshine
    aksunshine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! I'm coming to realize more and more that this is a life long journey. And even though I put on a few pounds during the holidays, I can get right back on and it doesn't mean my journey is over. It means, I'm going to be okay and eating with the family and friends wasn't detrimental to my journey!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your story. I am pretty close to goal, and I am really scared of maintenance. I don't want to fall into any bad habits and have the weight sneak back on. IF you can do it while going through "stuff," surely I can do it too.

Keep up the good work. And good luck w/ your continuing journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!