Recovery

Options
Hi my name is Monique Moreno and im a Soda addict... I am two days sober :] and im having serious withdraws...

man i am really taking this like im in rehab lol... but it seems like when you love something so much that is so bad you kinda have to treat it like this.... anyone else going through this?

Replies

• ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    Good luck, I tried stopping but couldn't. Wish you the best!
  • rlpetersen
    Options
    I have not been able to get rid of it either, but I did switch to a caffeine free diet one...
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I've been able to do it-twice now. I gave it up, fell off the wagon, then gave it up again. It is tough, but can be done. Drinking more water and occasionally some tea helps me. Maybe some fizzy water if it's the carbonation you crave. I'm a big lable reader, so really reading and knowing that it was just chemicals and NO nutritional value has helped me. Also realizing it was destroying my teeth along with my body has helped some. I don't want to be fat, toothless and have diebetes, heart disease, etc. Hope that helps some. Good luck!!
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    i rarely drink soda. now, i used to be an addiction since my parents had own their restaurant i would treat it like it was water. i think i had a good 8 glass of it at times and sometimes more. :o i didnt drink water there it was rare that i did. once in a while i did. but since their restaurant went down. i basically kinda had to stop... and i dont really go buy them at stores cause sometimes my parents says no. once in a while they do. and when they do its like gone in two days. after a while. my mom just quit buying them. so we dont drink much soda. my dad is even more rarely that he even touches soda. i guess when you dont have it in the house you kinda forget it until you go out to eat. they offer. most of the time i get strawberries lemonaide. but if they dont have that i get a sprite. there is only few soda that i even like. so i guess that helps also. :)

i really wish you good luck with that. cause its tough fighting an addiction battle. but it would be a glory victory when you do :D
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am surprised that I have been so good in stopping. I now drink water with Lemon, it isn't too bad. I stopped drinking Coffee too!
  • cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    On any given day I would drink well over 2l of coke. I started off my day with a large soda from McD then got another large soda at lunch then went home and drank soda until bedtime.....

When I started this journey I simply told my self enough was enough. I was consuming a ridiculous amount of sugar per day. I didnt let my self drink ANY soda for a couple of weeks (not even diet) Eventually I will treat myself to even a regular soda, but I stay away from it most of the time

Its really hard unless you really want to do it...you have to be in the right mindframe- kind of like quitting smoking, drinking, etc
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm not addicted to soda, but have a real issue giving up ice cream or some kind of sugary dessert at night. Like you said, it feels like an addiction whenever I try to go more than 1 night without dessert...

I quit smoking years ago. I quit drinking years ago. But I just CANNOT give up my ice cream! (and I haven't - I budget it in everyday to my calorie intake)

You're not alone. Thought you might appreciate this recent research:
    http://www.torontosun.com/life/healthandfitness/2010/04/08/13517836-qmi.html
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    that article is so true... i never thought it would be this hard to give up something like that... everytime i go into the fridge i grab one because of impulse... and im starting to get really bad headaches... but im going to stick through it.. hopefully by the end of the week ill start to feel better... after reading that article it made me feel like i need to check into rehab lol
  • jomane81
    jomane81 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for Lent this year, and the extra reason really helped. Now I try to only drink it for "special occasions" (like going out to a pizza place, so it's a cheat meal anyway!) I didn't lose any weight b/c of it, unfortunately, since I was drinking mostly diet anyway, but I think kicking the caffeine addiction really helped my quality of sleep and my sleep schedule!

They say it only takes 21 days to form a habit... you've only got 19 left!!!!
  • hurleycutie142
    Options
    19 more days left lol! yay! lol but the headaches are killllling me.! i cant even see straight... i feel like im detoxing from a hard drug... cause im having first week dieting transition (which is making my stomach go to knots) plus soda withdraw lol... what a mess... hopefully this is all worth it
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Dr. Pepper is my nemesis! I gave it up the entire time I was pregnant and nursing but went right back to it and had been addicted for the last 4 years. I tried to give it up many times but when I joined this website about a month ago I decided it was that time. If I didn't give it up I would not reach my goals and I am really motivated to reach my goals right now.

I now drink iced tea in place of my beloved Dr. Pepper. I use the Cold Brew decaf Lipton ice tea bags so I can make it at my desk at work. I have to use lots of ice though to get rid of any thoughts of having a soda. It has gotten much easier over the last few weeks but still is a struggle sometimes. I would tell myself that I would allow a soda as a special treat at ballgames or the movies but even then I have not wanted one because it consumes so much of my allowable calories. That is what motivates me now to stay away from it.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I bought bubbly water and added lemon or lime. Worked like a charm for me!!

Good luck!
  • hurleycutie142
    Options
    so i tried bubbly water and i almost gagged... but i think i tried like sparkling water instead of the flavored carbonated water so that might be why lol.... but i have to say half a week down and im 2 pounds lighter... i dont know how that happened but im going to blame it on the soda! lol...