Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Shake your Sensa?

Hello... My sister recently took me to a store called GNC .. not sure what it stands for but it was a vitamin store with stuff like sensa and hydroxicut and all those good things. I was looking at sensa and it's an appetite supressant. Does anyone know if this actually works? Because i keep researching it, and i am getting mixed feedback. If you've tried it has it worked for you because it's 90 dollars and i dont wanna spend money on something that doesn't work. I know resulting to stuff like this isn't that great but i thought an appetitie supressent would help me out a whole lot.

Thank you :) Have a great day!

Replies

• pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Use the 90 dollars on healthy food. Sensa is nothing but cornstarch
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Save your money.

A food scale or fitness related purchases would both be functional uses of money towards your body composition/nutrition/goals.

Do not waste your money on gimmicky quick fixes.
  • I agree with pulipgirl, Jennie, don't waste your money on those miracle weighloss cures. Stick to eating healthy and clean foods. Fiber will keep you feeling full and if you keep eat 5-6 small portioned meals a day...I know it sounds tough...but you won't feel hungry. If you like sweets, get some fruit..freeze some seedless grapes, keep some orange slices nearby, but don't waste your money. You work too hard to make someone rich on these wonder weightloss cures. Keep moving forward!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Does it sound logical that you can shake some powder on some deep-fried curly fries and still lose weight? No... Not really.

Honestly track your calories, try to stay active, and you will lose weight. Not extremely quickly, but you will lose it. And if you stay logical, you will keep it off. The quicker you lose it, the quicker you will regain it. That's how it goes.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Read through the "Success Stories" forum and see if you can find any who attribute their success to Sensa or any other diet scams.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Supposedly it is supposed to heighten your sense of taste and smell to make you feel more satisfied by a smaller amount of food. It contains no proven appetite suppressant that I can discern.

So here's my concern - for someone who has an overeating problem (I am not implying that you do, OP, I don't know anything about you - but I am assuming that's who its aimed at), normal satiation cues are ineffective anyway. The ability to respond to feelings of appetitive satisfaction and satiety are messed up already. So I see no reason why responses to the sensory stimulants in sensa would be different.

The 'studies' they claim as support are sponsored by the company, so don't meet the 'disinterest' minimal standard to consider them as valid.

Save your cash, go eat real food and enjoy it!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Supposedly it is supposed to heighten your sense of taste and smell to make you feel more satisfied by a smaller amount of food. It contains no proven appetite suppressant that I can discern.

I hear it just makes your food taste like @ss. If that's the case, buy a bag of dirt and sprinkle on food. Much cheaper.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    My mom was looking at that (she's all kinds of fad diet crazy) so I pulled it down and read the ingredients.
    Silica, really??

Crystalline silica is an abundant mineral in the earth's crust. It occurs in several forms, the most common being quartz. Quartz is a common component of sand.

Not to mention a form of Silica is what's used in those little "stay fresh but don't eat me" packets you find in all kinds of product packaging.

Ew, no thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Magical powders that state you can lose weight fast with no dieting or exercise do work magically. It magically makes your wallet lighter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Doing a line of Sensa before every meal helped me lose 58 lbs so far!

No, seriously though. Don't waste your money. There is no such thing as a supplement that will cause healthy weight loss. Just use MFP and you will have success :smile:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Silica, really??

Ew, no thanks!

You do realize that silica is found in natural foods, such as rice and oats and other grains, right?

Not that I'm suggesting using Sensa - I'm not - but eating silica isn't a bad thing.
  • mcflat29
    Silica, really??

Ew, no thanks!

You do realize that silica is found in natural foods, such as rice and oats and other grains, right?

Not that I'm suggesting using Sensa - I'm not - but eating silica isn't a bad thing.

Understood, but given it has so many forms (silica I mean) I'm not going to trust some profit-hungry company to use the form that's safe. I'd rather have the kind in the natural foods than shake some unknown on my plate.
    I'm also a big non-fan of artificial sweeteners, I just use real sugar in moderation.
  • I tired Sensa and it was WORTHLESS. Gimmick and a money waster. Thank Goodness I didn't pay for it. A lady at work let me have hers when it didn't work for her LOL
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    My mom was looking at that (she's all kinds of fad diet crazy) so I pulled it down and read the ingredients.
    Silica, really??

Crystalline silica is an abundant mineral in the earth's crust. It occurs in several forms, the most common being quartz. Quartz is a common component of sand.

Not to mention a form of Silica is what's used in those little "stay fresh but don't eat me" packets you find in all kinds of product packaging.

Ew, no thanks!

Exactly!! ^^ If you're gonna spend money, buy a fitness program, some gear, and some healthy food and start looking at food as fuel. Develop habits that turn into lifestyle changes. I didn't lose 70lbs over 20 years ago and keep it off from fad diets and magic cures!
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Wait..so it makes food taste better? I seriously doubt that..

IF it did though, wouldn't that just make you want to eat more? Now I have that stupid song stuck in my head.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Nope, don't waste your money.

Take the money and buy the leafy greens, the fruit and other foods that really do work.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Silica is the main ingredient found in Taco Bell ground beef.
  • mcflat29
    Silica is the main ingredient found in Taco Bell ground beef.

Probably why it runs right through.... My friends and I have a joke that Taco Bell doesn't count as cheating on your diet because it doesn't stay in your system long enough to count. Needless to say, we don't eat there a lot. LOL