When do you exercise?

Options
Hi I'm not really new here, but I'm starting exercising again!

Anyway, I'm going to be on a tight schedule when I go back to uni on Monday and was looking for some advice on when to exercise?

Early morning or evening?

Replies

• IFC25
    IFC25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always exercise in the moring. If I wait until later in the day I just don't seem to have the energy to do it.

Iris
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    In the morning before breakfast its believed youre burning fat and not food youve eaten. However for me it means i have a limited time because im having to get to my job. Also, if you sleep late you miss your workout. I like the afternoon because it allows me to leave the gym when my workout is done as some days you might stay longer to try something new or say, extend a cardio session because you feel really energized.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Usually I work too late to make going in the evening practical. I like to workout in the morning because the gym is less than a mile from my job. I get up in the morning, dress in my workout clothes and pack a gym bag & hanger with the clothes I need for work. I shower right at the gym, dress in my work clothes and head to work.
  • laurendaniel719
    Options
    I have the most energy to exercise after 10 pm. Haha.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Depends on how motivated I am lol. Somedays, I am up at 5am doing my thing, others...well I wait till the last hour I can go to the gym haha.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm not really new here, but I'm starting exercising again!

Anyway, I'm going to be on a tight schedule when I go back to uni on Monday and was looking for some advice on when to exercise?

Early morning or evening?

I would choose whichever method gives you the best satisfaction, the best sleep, and the best gym performance. Hopefully these all align.

In terms of which one is "best", factors outside of the above circumstances (such as the supposed benefits of exercising in the AM on an empty stomach) aren't going to be significant enough that they trump any of the above parameters. And this is especially true if you're not already very lean.
  • wwdiehard
    Options
    I love to exercise in the morning. Knock it out right off the bat. I feel more energized throughout my day. It's a better wake up than coffee. In the middle or end of the day I find too many excuses/reasons why I can't get a workout in. In the summer it's great because you also beat the intense heat of the day. I love my morning workouts!
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I always exercise in the moring. If I wait until later in the day I just don't seem to have the energy to do it.

Iris
    This, but it's completely your decision, whatever works best for you xx
  • ritalef
    ritalef Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning for me. I find I have more energy through the day. I get up earlier to make sure I get it in because otherwise it might not happen.
    If I have a chance, I'll add something in the evening.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can. I don't believe it really matters. When I do it in the morning I find I work better. When I do it in the evening I find myself sleeping better. Exercise is Exercise. I have a tight timeline also. Find what works best for you and do it.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Whatever time you find in your schedule that you can be consistent, is the best time for you. For me, I find that working out in the morning is best. I am not a very disciplined person, so if I can check that item of the list first thing, I am more likely to keep it up as opposed to saying "I'll just do it later in the day".

Good luck to you.

Kelly
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    5 am ... empty gym and always fits my schedule
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    4:15 am yes I am crazy
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    multiple times a day.

BTW, you only think you're busy when you're at uni.

-- working mom of 4
  • getphit09
    getphit09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I get it in, where I can fit it in -- most often in the evenings (my hardest workouts) after work because I do not like working out in the morning (i've tried many times to do this) .... I have been know to use my lunch break for walks (not as stringent as a power walk but a decent pace) .....Saturdays/Sundays whenever the notion rises.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Whenever I can... last quarter it was always at night after work, I'd have the most energy after eating all day. But now I have to work 10:30-7:30 so I am working out in the mornings :)
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It really all depends on you. If I try to wait until night after I get home from campus and work I am too tired and just can't get the energy to do my workout. But if I get up an hour earlier than I have to, I workout and have tremendously more energy throughout the day because of it. But if your body does better at night, then I would workout at night! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • tiregirl82
    Options
    Mornings! I get up around 4:45-5:00 AM to be at the gym by either 5:30 or 6:00 AM depending on the group fitness class. I always pack a gym bag the night before with my work clothes. I workout for an hour, get ready in the locker room, and head to work. I feel like it sets me up for a day of good choices because I already started out with a good choice: exercise!

After a long day at work, I know I can go home and relax without feeling guilty. I also go to bed around 9:00 PM to ensure I get enough rest for the next workout. :)
  • Help4nb
    Help4nb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i don't think it makes much difference, do what works for you. find something you really enjoy doing first then it won't seem like such a chore , whether it is swimming, gym or work out at home. i have a house full of kids and my hubby works shifts, i do all my exercise at home so its a case of fitting it in when i can! try changing your exercise around every other week so you don't get bored. then build it up! i started with aerobics dvds 25mins twice a week, very low impact, but now i do cardio kick boxing 60 mins , aerobics dvds 60 mins high impact , weights, zumba etc ! i use to hate working out but now i love seeing how far i can push myself and the buzz i get!! good luck you can do it! :))
  • DuhhMuffin
    Options
    I do it for like 5 minutes all throughout the day. So I'll have like ten 5 minute "workout sessions" all through the day. It makes it less overwhelming to me.