If I increase my fat gram and calories intake, will I...

Options
Continue to lose? Or will I gain back what I've worked for? Is it too late to be changing goals? You see, I'm thinking that I need to start eating closer to 1600 calories a day, because I've been hardly able to get to my own goal of 1400. I've found my biggest problem is eating all my calories without going over my fat gram goal, so I'm stuck around 1200 calories a day.

Now, I'm really worried about hitting a plateau in the future. I know that to overcome a plateau, normally you decrease your calorie intake to fit your new weight, but if I'm eating the recommended minimum right now, where can I go when I hit a plateau? So, if I increase my fat gram goal and calorie goal, will that help? Or should I just increase my calorie intake?

And one more thing: I've told MFP that I want to lose an average of 2 pounds a week. If I follow the original plan of 1700 calories and like 50 something fat grams, is that accurate? Anybody else losing the weight that you set for MFP using its calculations? And, again, if I change it now, will I risk gaining back what I've worked for?

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Oh, if this helps:

I'm 282 pounds and 5'9'. I've reset MFP goals to what I though was a good number (questioning it now, but at the time it seemed reasonable). 1400 calories, 30-35 grams of fat. (And I follow the rest of MFP calculations for sodium and carbs and sugars, etc.) When I first signed up, MFP suggested 1700 calories and 57 grams of fat per day in order to lose 2 pounds a week. It just didn't seem right to me, so I didn't follow it. And currently, I do not eat back any of my exercise calories.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    What does it say your BMR is? This is how it determines your recommended calorie intake, by estimating your BMR based on height, weight and activity level (if you filled in sedentary, lightly active, etc) and then subtracting from there to create your deficit.

1700 is right for some people, depending on all of the above. My husband is set to lose 1 pound a week and is allotted something like 1900 calories!

I've always followed my MFP settings, and it's worked really well for me. Make sure of what your BMR is - you don't want to reduce your calorie count too far below that or you'll exceed the recommendations for 2 pounds a week, which is the max healthy recommended loss.
  • lynzt16
    lynzt16 Posts: 48
    Options
    I follow what MFP set for me and it has worked so far...
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    Okay, I found where to calculate the BMR. Here's exactly what it said.

Your estimated BMR is: 2,139 calories/day*
    *BMR based on the Mifflin - St. Jeor equations. Please remember that even the best BMR calculators provide only a best guess and should be used as a guide only.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    So, looking at mine, just for a comparison example - I have a BMR of around 1670. I'm calculating to lose 1.5 pounds a week, and I get to eat 1340 - so a deficit of around 330.

Looks like you have a deficit for 2 pounds a week (at MFP's original calculations) of around 439.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think that should be okay.

Hopefully someone will chime in on whether or not 1400 at your height/weight/BMR would be healthy, but given your BMR you should lose and definitely should not gain at 1700 - ESPECIALLY if you are not planning on eating exercise calories.

Just my two cents.
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    So, I should try MFP's plan of 1700 calories and 57 grams of fat for a while and see if it works? I see what you mean by the calorie deficit, makes sense. Hopefully, it'll work. I just don't want to ruin my 13 pound weight loss by an increase.
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    I think you need to see what kind of fats you are eating as well. There are good fats and bad fats and I don't worry too much about the good fats that come from nuts, lean meat etc. I think if you try and eat a healthy, natural and balanced diet without processed foods and with lots of fruits and veggies that will help alot.
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    I know all about the good and bad fats! :) And trust me, I'm sick of eating processed crap. I'm hoping that MFP calculations are right. I would really like to eat some avacado. Haha.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    It definitely shouldn't cause an increase if your BMR is 2100.

I know what you mean, though, it's hard not to worry. I recently discovered I could not obtain a deficit large enough to get 2 pounds a week any more. So I moved it to 1.5 and my calories went from 1200 to 1340. Was very nervous at first, but I'm still losing for now, so I think I'm okay.

Just remember to update your goals every now and then. MFP recommends every 10 pounds. Because as you lose weight, your BMR will decline, as powering your body will take less calories, since your body will be smaller. Make sense? So eventually your body will work it's way down to where 1400 might be all MFP allots you. You don't want to jump too far ahead and end up having no where to go, as it's not recommended you drop below 1200.

Just remember this is a long process that takes a lot of time. If you plan to do this the right way and keep it off, slow loss is the way.

Good luck!
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    You've confirmed all my worries. Thank you so much. Only problem is it's gonna be weird having like 400 more calories more than I normally eat. Thanks again!!
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My BMR srates 2100 cals, Goal is 1800, I eat between 1500-1800 and am averaging 2lbs a week. I walk 3 days a week for 30-60 minutes but do not add that in. See what works, I was not losing and eating too few calories at that time. Everyone is different.
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    I eat about 20g (mostly from olive oil in cooking and skinless chicken breast) of fat each day. For me, this just works and I easily lose 2lbs per week (or more). I think you should just try the original settings and if it works for you great, if not, then you can go down or up and see what happens! Good luck!
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    Okay, thanks!

Do any of you know how to change the fat gram goal? I figured out how to make my calorie goal go back to 1700, but I'm not sure how to change the fat gram number. It says 57 grams of fat, but I'm taking the alli pill, and it recommends 45 grams of fat and a few extra grams of fat for snacks.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    You can change the individual amounts by their percentage under

Home - Goals - Change goals - custom

That will take you to where you can alter your percentages. I think everyone starts off at 30 for fat. When you take it from fat it should automatically add that percentage to another area - not sure which it will choose, or what would be best. Mine is in carbs. I'm actually at 45-30-25 (carbs, protein, fat).

Anyone have any suggestions?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    There's lots to read here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/9-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help

The top 4 threads are pinned and have links to a lot of the basic information.