Self Control

Options

Replies

• Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The all-or-nothing mindset must be overcome to be successful IMHO. Because what happens if and when you are in a situation where those foods are available and you binge on them? You'll feel like a failure. There is no failure here; only failure to learn from the past and grow.

First, make sure you're eating enough food. Most people can't sustain a daily caloric deficit of 1000 calories (the "lose 2 lbs/week" option)... so go with a smaller one. Aim for 1 lb/week or even 1/2 lb per week... you'll be able to eat more each day, feel satisfied and not need to overeat. There are always plenty of calories available for you to have something you like every day.

Second, make sure you eat protein at every opportunity. All meals should have a good supply of protein; even snacks can be made to include protein. Protein helps keep you fuller feeling for longer.

Third, eat fat. Fat satisfies. Aim for 30% of calories daily coming from fat.

Fourth, don't eat low-fat/non-fat/sugar-free crap food.

Fifth, eat as much fiber as you can. If you can combine protein and high fiber, you'll be very full all day, especially if you have a moderate caloric deficit planned.

Sixth, drink lots of water. Sometimes we can crave sweets or salty foods when our hydration levels are off.

Seventh, exercise. Do 30 minutes of cardio daily and lift weights 3 times a week. You'll be able to eat more so you can fit in all the stuff you love and still lose weight. Trust me, if you're eating enough you're more likely to be able to stop after a serving instead of a whole package.

Okay I think I'm all done. Know that you can. Believe you can. There are so many success stories here; if we can, you can.

Awesome advice!!! The only thing to add is don't buy junk food. Keep it out of your house then you won't be tempted in the car or in the house.
  • amgault
    amgault Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem. If there was food in front of me I would eat it until there wasn't anymore there and then I would go find more to stuff my face. For me, my problem stemmed from my environment. I was very stressed and put down a lot. My life recently began to get better and I don't eat that way anymore, but sometimes that NEED to eat will overcome me and anything I can find will be eaten. The only way I've been able to combat this is to chew gum. Every single time I felt the overwhelming need to eat, I would put a piece of gum in my mouth. It sounds silly, but it really works. Chewing gum occupied my mouth and I was able to focus on other things. Another thing that helps is to use minty gum because when you're mouth is fresh and minty, you feel less likely to eat.

I think it's important for you to try to discover why you have this desire to constantly be eating. If it is emotional eating, you may want to consider some therapy to learn better coping habits. They are called "comfort foods" for a reason! I hope this advice helps you! Add me if you would like.
  • amgault
    amgault Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic advice! Thank you!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i just dont eat junk foods, i try to stick to veg fruit etc, but dont get me wrong i dont hate food. ive learned to be selective.
  • Wwonderful
    Options
    I was just like you, all or nothing with the sweets, then I turned to Intermittent Fasting, and it has helped me tremendously, control what i eat, including sweets!
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have issues with this. Just this morning I had grabbed a whole bunch of hershey's kisses because "there were only a few left" and I was going to just finish them. I stopped before I had any and checked how many calories it would be and then promptly hid them from myself because I wasn't going to waste that many calories on just chocolate. I have found that when I portion myself out the serving suggestion I won't binge on the whole bag/box of whatever I am eating. Also, logging has helped me substantially. Just realizing how many calories I am actually going through has helped remind me what I am doing myself.
    I have also put up pictures on myself on all the cupboards and the fridge to help me remember.
    20121227_124719.jpg
  • amurphy198
    Options
    OP: I could have written your post. I am exactly the same way you are. I can eat a bag of cookies or chips or chocolate in the car--then I need to hide all the evidence by throwing the trash out in a public waste can so no one knows that I'm out of control.

I've figured that if I really want to eat something, I'll buy a smaller portion of it and eat that. I'm also trying not to eat in the car anymore.

The past week has been pretty good. I don't feel the need to stuff myself with a bunch of junk. I think it's a vicious cycle: if I eat some junk, then my body keeps wanting the junk. And my thought at that point is, "F*** it--I already ate the McDonald's--I might as well have some cookies and candy too." Then I'm out of control and no longer conscious of what I'm doing. It's only after I'm faced with the empty wrappers and bags that I realize what I've done.

I think my overeating is an addiction as well. I tried Overeaters Anonymous several years ago, but it didn't really work for me (but then again, I don't feel like I really gave it a good shot.) You might want to check out some of Laurel Mellin's books on the connection between emotions and overeating. She suggests doing feelings checks and then determining what your true needs are (and usually, it's not food).

Anyone on this thread with the same issues--please friend me so we can support one another.

You! Get out of my head!! :)
  • amurphy198
    Options
    I have issues with this. Just this morning I had grabbed a whole bunch of hershey's kisses because "there were only a few left" and I was going to just finish them. I stopped before I had any and checked how many calories it would be and then promptly hid them from myself because I wasn't going to waste that many calories on just chocolate. I have found that when I portion myself out the serving suggestion I won't binge on the whole bag/box of whatever I am eating. Also, logging has helped me substantially. Just realizing how many calories I am actually going through has helped remind me what I am doing myself.
    I have also put up pictures on myself on all the cupboards and the fridge to help me remember.
    20121227_124719.jpg

I might just try that. The shame alone would probably keep me out of the kitchen.
  • amurphy198
    Options
    The all-or-nothing mindset must be overcome to be successful IMHO. Because what happens if and when you are in a situation where those foods are available and you binge on them? You'll feel like a failure. There is no failure here; only failure to learn from the past and grow.

First, make sure you're eating enough food. Most people can't sustain a daily caloric deficit of 1000 calories (the "lose 2 lbs/week" option)... so go with a smaller one. Aim for 1 lb/week or even 1/2 lb per week... you'll be able to eat more each day, feel satisfied and not need to overeat. There are always plenty of calories available for you to have something you like every day.

Second, make sure you eat protein at every opportunity. All meals should have a good supply of protein; even snacks can be made to include protein. Protein helps keep you fuller feeling for longer.

Third, eat fat. Fat satisfies. Aim for 30% of calories daily coming from fat.

Fourth, don't eat low-fat/non-fat/sugar-free crap food.

Fifth, eat as much fiber as you can. If you can combine protein and high fiber, you'll be very full all day, especially if you have a moderate caloric deficit planned.

Sixth, drink lots of water. Sometimes we can crave sweets or salty foods when our hydration levels are off.

Seventh, exercise. Do 30 minutes of cardio daily and lift weights 3 times a week. You'll be able to eat more so you can fit in all the stuff you love and still lose weight. Trust me, if you're eating enough you're more likely to be able to stop after a serving instead of a whole package.

Okay I think I'm all done. Know that you can. Believe you can. There are so many success stories here; if we can, you can.

Awesome advice. You broke it down for me. I'm going to keep re-reading this.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I might just try that. The shame alone would probably keep me out of the kitchen.

Please don't shame yourself into abstaining.
  • marghowe
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea. Write it down in advance. I am gonna give that a try. Writing it down after I eat just makes me depressed. Buying the food and bringing it in the house is a big problem. I go out of my way to buy the junk. Sometimes the motivation is just not there. Today is a new day.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    A good trick is to brush your teeth if you aren't hungry and might start snacking. It makes things taste bad and you're less likely to eat after you just cleaned your mouth. I also drink a cup of mint tea after a meal to sort of signal to my mind that we are done eating now.
  • amurphy198
    Options
    I was just like you, all or nothing with the sweets, then I turned to Intermittent Fasting, and it has helped me tremendously, control what i eat, including sweets!

What is this? The word fasting scares me.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    just want to say that I'm the same way regarding food. I had a couple of bad days myself this week. I have problems doing things in moderation which is why I seldom buy large bags of chips or cookies because I know I would eat them in one sitting. If I get chips or cookies, it's better to get them in a 1 serving size (8oz) that way, I can enjoy them and they are gone. Not much harm done.

I like the suggestions of loading up on protein and fiber in order to feel full. I drink lots and lots of water which helps fill me up during the day. I drink tea, too.

Nighttime is when the overeating/binges get bad for me. I like the suggestions of brushing your teeth, chewing gum and drinking mint tea. Those are things I will try.

Like alcohol and drugs, I believe that food/overeating can be an addiction, too. I have this problem with food, especially at night and the only way to overcome it is to not use it to overeat/binge. Don't do it! Easier said than done. I have to remind myself of this.

I would love to support you if you need a friend.:smile:
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    Hi,

I wrote a similar post regarding my food obsession, but it didn't come out quite right, What I needed to say was THIS. I know exactly what you mean!

I can't have chocolate or chips sitting in the fridge or in the cupboard cos I just obsess over them and I can't just have a serving - once I start I can't stop - so I guess the best option is to simply not start!

Good luck - great thread!
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    OP: I could have written your post. I am exactly the same way you are. I can eat a bag of cookies or chips or chocolate in the car--then I need to hide all the evidence by throwing the trash out in a public waste can so no one knows that I'm out of control.

I've figured that if I really want to eat something, I'll buy a smaller portion of it and eat that. I'm also trying not to eat in the car anymore.

The past week has been pretty good. I don't feel the need to stuff myself with a bunch of junk. I think it's a vicious cycle: if I eat some junk, then my body keeps wanting the junk. And my thought at that point is, "F*** it--I already ate the McDonald's--I might as well have some cookies and candy too." Then I'm out of control and no longer conscious of what I'm doing. It's only after I'm faced with the empty wrappers and bags that I realize what I've done.

I think my overeating is an addiction as well. I tried Overeaters Anonymous several years ago, but it didn't really work for me (but then again, I don't feel like I really gave it a good shot.) You might want to check out some of Laurel Mellin's books on the connection between emotions and overeating. She suggests doing feelings checks and then determining what your true needs are (and usually, it's not food).

Anyone on this thread with the same issues--please friend me so we can support one another.

You! Get out of my head!! :)

This is me - down to a tee - well said and thanks for the info! x
  • DuhhMuffin
    Options
    I used to be like that, but I overcame it with lots and lots of self discipline.

I realized that the food will still be there even if I don't eat it all at once. :b
  • asdjlo
    asdjlo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When you see yourself about to do the binge, eat naked in front of a mirror. I realized seeing how big I am and then watching myself eat quickly made me put the "bad stuff" down. I realized that is how I got to be the size I am now.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter. It sounds simple, but its the truth.
    Yup ^ and if you don't have junk around you won't eat it.
  • Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I can't have peanut m&m's in the house because I will eat the whole bag. Not the whole 5 lb. bag but I will eat way too many handfuls from it, thus upping my calorie count. But I will eat the whole small bag and that's about 200 calories right there that I don't need. I would like to think that I could eat just three or four pieces, but I know better. So I don't even buy them anymore.

Would it help if you didn't have the binge food at home in the first place? And if you have a craving and go to the store to get it, can you buy a smaller bag of chips? Like just the smallest snack bag? Not a lot of chips but enough to satisfy the craving and not big enough to binge one.

I think you might be "eating your emotions" as they say. A friend of mine used to call food her "best friend" and said she missed comforting herself with her best friend when she started dieting. However, she has lost about 200 pounds and she loves her new body more.

So being able to figure out what you're feeling when you binge (bored? mad? unhappy? stressed?, etc.) might help. I have discovered that I will eat when I'm bored. I would also grab something chocolately when I was stressed. I would grab a handful of m&m's and eat them while I was watching t.v. Not a horrible, horrible thing, but I didn't even pay attention to eating them and so, honestly, didn't even get to enjoy them, lol!