5'3" ladies and 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I eat 1700-1800 calories per day. My exercise calories are factored into that, so I don't eat those back. I generally net between 1400 to 1500 per day.

In my opinion, 1200 is too low, especially if you are exercising and not eating back those calories. I was one cranky ***** when I followed the 1200 calorie MFP recommendation.
  • cbrunk84
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and eating 1200 a day on the recommendation of my boot camp trainer. I don't eat back my calories and I'm having a steady weight loss. The first month, I was super active with boot camp and half marathon training. I was worried I wasn't getting enough calories so I asked my trainer. He said if I was still hungry at the end of the day to eat more, but I never did feel hungry as long as I was drinking all my water. I lost 9lbs that month. =)

The only days I do eat back exercise calories is on race days and that's so I can get a good celebration hamburger in. I still like to only eat back half of what I burned.

Best of luck finding the right balance for you!
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I eat 1300 and eat my exercise calories if I am hungry..
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and not trying to lose weight. If I ate 1200 calories my metabolism would slow down and I would not be able to function at the activity level that I do. When I ate around 1800, I lost weight. Now, I can eat up to and over 2000, and I weigh 100 pounds.
  • kirk1115
    kirk1115 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Right now, my body just wants to hang on to where it's at...it is so frustrating. So far, all through December I went form bouncing back and forth between 148 and 145 to now bouncing back and forth between 145 and 143, so I guess that's a 2lb loss? :huh:
    This is my first week of starting c25k (3 times a week) and other than that I have walked for an hour 2 other days. Maybe this and 1200 calories will eventually get some results.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 4. and I currently have my weight loss set for .5 lbs per week. I have lost about 16 pounds since early August. I have my lifestyle set at lightly active and MFP assigned me a goal of 1200 calories. I exercise for about an hour (elliptical trainer, lunges, and free weights) 3 times per week, and I often add a couple of 30-45 minute walks in each week if the weather is okay. I do eat at least 75% of my exercise calories back, and so far it has worked for me. I recently bought a heart rate monitor and find that my calories burned (at least on the elliptical) are about 20% less than what the elliptical machine tells me. However, I burn slightly more calories walking out side (according to the HRM) than what MFP states. I think this is because I live and walk in a hilly area. On days that I don't exercise, I do find that it is hard to stay under 1200, and sometimes I am slightly over.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I simply try to NET 1200 (per mfp instructions). So, yes, I eat back my exercise calories. Totally works. :)
  • walkermom58
    walkermom58 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and feel if I want to lose weight, I have to stay at 1200 calories most days. Once in a while I will eat a little over. But I am losing, slowly, which is the best way in the long run. You have to find what works for you. When I exercise, I try not to eat the extra calories. I lose weight better that way.
  • wl4good
    wl4good Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and am currently doing 1200 calories without eating back too many of my exercise calories. As I ramp up my workouts I will gradually increase my calories to between 1350 and 1500. That seems to be the sweet spot for me as far as having enough energy to fuel my workouts and yet still being able to lose.
  • BossLady99
    Options
    yes im 5'3 i do 1200 a day i will admit it's hard but i get through it. i mostly eat fish.corn, peanuts,fruits,veggies,red meat twice a week, and protein shakes
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and I tried the whole 1000-1200 thing for a couple years about. I lost weight on it but than stalled...not only that, I ended up becoming very deficient in many nutrients because I cut back so drastically. I actually ended gaining some weight back because I had just reached the point where I started really going on binges and also am suffering from the effects of not having enough things in my diet like protein, etc.

Currently, I'm eating 1600 calories and still losing :) I don't usually eat my exercise calories back unless I do a 700+ burn - than I 'll eat some of them back.

I can tell you I have soooo much more energy now than I did on 1200. I could barely get through a 30 minute workout without feeling exhausted and lethargic. I thought it was because I was so out of shape but it wasn't. Now, I can do really high cal burns for 45+ min and still feel "peppy" after it :D

I would suggest checking out the link another poster put up:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while, but then I stopped being able to and was eating over every single day and felt like I was losing control.

A few things helped. I got a Bodymedia armband and chose the option to eat 1470 calories per day and burn 1970. I also read two books that helped me get back into a healthier mindset. (Intuitive Eating and French Women Don't Get Fat)

You can eat more if you're working out more. I am not burning calories just for the sake of being able to eat them, though.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    chances are your bmr is over 1200. calculate your tdee, and go by that. 1200 really isn't necessary. i am 5'4", i can lose on 1500. i don't eat anywhere near that much, but if you are having a hard time on 1200, as long as you are putting out more than you are taking in, you will be fine
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and lost weight on about 1650, and my net was usually more like 1400. When I got to the last 10 lbs., I upped my workouts and upped my calories to about 1850 or net 1500, still lost almost a pound a week.
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    I am 5'1.75" and I have done the 1200 calories for about 5 months. And just recently upped them to 1320 only because I have lost 30 lbs and find that its harder to get the weight to come off now that I am getting closer to my goal. I think you need to experiment with the calories and do what is best for you. It all has to do with body type, age and how your feeling and what works for you.

Don't listen to everyone else do what you need to do to be successful or you will drive yourself nuts or let everyone on here who thinks they have the answer drive you nuts.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • kornmaiden
    Options
    Jillian Michaels was on Dr. Oz and she recommended 1200 for women and 1600 for men.
  • Thoroniell
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and weight loss slowed down to a crawl for me at 1200 calories a day. I did a search on my BMR and ~1400 calories a day has been great. It's too cold to walk outside much and the holidays made it difficult to get to the gym regularly for the last month but the 1400ish calories a day has produced a dependable 1lb a week loss.
  • kornmaiden
    Options
    It's what I am currently on. Not eating back my exercise calories except on special occasions
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 3" and when I was trying to lose weight (30lbs ago) 1200 calories didn't work for me and that was WITH eating back exercise calories. I was tired all the time and didn't lose anything. When I bumped up to 1600 with eating back calories that is where I lost weight. I now maintain at 1800-2200 depending on how active I am that day =)
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels was on Dr. Oz and she recommended 1200 for women and 1600 for men.

I don't believe ANYTHING I hear from Dr. Oz but I do love Jillian. There's probably a lot of "ifs" with this, though. It's more about your calorie deficit. Anything you do to lose weight you are going to want to be able to maintain for the REST of your life. 1200 calories a day is great to lose weight, but can you do that forever? Would you want to? Stay active and only eat when you're hungry and eat GREAT foods. The weight will naturally come off.